Author: Subject: Who was it - cnc router for pcbs
02GF74

posted on 30/10/17 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Who was it - cnc router for pcbs

Pretty sure someone here posted about making PCBs
using a cnc router, who was it?

peter030371

posted on 31/10/17 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
It wasn't me (I don't think) but I used to do it that way and still have the router but the software won't work on any current machines and its not worth the time or effort to fix when outsourced, PTH, multi-layer PCBs are now only 24 hours away on an express service from a local supplier.

It had its use at the time (20 years ago) and I also then had a basic plating line so could do 'proper' 2 layer PTH boards but routing fine pitch SMD footprints became and issue so we stopped using it.

Do you have a board you want doing?

tegwin

posted on 31/10/17 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Cant answer your question directly but I have had really good results over the years using photo-resistive PCBs... Print the mask using a laserprinter and then expose the board in a home made UV box...

Could get all the bits from RS for under £50! I have even made double sided boards this way.... fiddly and requires manual drilling of holes but it works.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

02GF74

posted on 31/10/17 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371

Do you have a board you want doing?

I was looking for a quick way to prototype a board. I have all the parts, except box, for UV exposure method but was thinking a cnc router wold be quicker that messaging around with chemicals to make the board.

I supposed I should get my finger out - I have the circuit and pcb layout so build it on a breadboard and once verified, make the pcb.

I got some uv mask film - what sort of time is needed to expose it - would it be a few seconds or minutes or hours? obviously depends on the power of the uv source - (I have 10 uv led emitters) so not an easy question to answer.

trextr7monkey

posted on 31/10/17 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
We have all the stuff for making boards at work but haven’t done any for a while so not sure what’s in the etch tank etc
How complicated is your board-could you draw it using the old Dalo pen then etch/drill?
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

02GF74

posted on 1/11/17 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, two boards pretty simple, probably less than 30 components (q, r, d and c)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.