Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gravel driveway - options
mcerd1

posted on 8/5/19 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Gravel driveway - options

I'm in the middle of sorting out the garden and driveway now that the builders have finished

The drive is not one that we'll use often, but I don't want to get rid of it either - problem is that the other half wants her fancy gravel and its on a bit of slope down to the road too

I'm thinking about using that plastic grid stuff to hold it in place and make it a bit easier to take the bins out etc.
but the prices I'm finding are all £200+ just for the grids (~15m² ish) - so this drive could end up well over £500 (all money that could be finishing off my car !)

anyone got any other suggestions or know a cheaper source for this stuff ?

-

nick205

posted on 8/5/19 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Gravel on a slope really is a PITA and I'd go for the grid stuff as well. Some folk have gravel round our way on sloped drives and they're often to be seen raking it back up the slope. Some have had the foresight to build a small hump at the foot of the slope to try and prevent the gravel escaping onto pavements or roads. Not looked at the grids myself though so I'm afriad I can't advise on cheaper sources for it.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/5/19 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it! We had a sloped gravel drive when we moved into our house and it was a frigging nightmare.
Put your foot down on this one or make it clear that if she wants gravel driveway she can do the maintainance on it!

If not I hope you like picking up cat sh1t and doing a King Kanut impression trying to defeat the tied of gravel with a rake.

To be really clear.. Don't do it!

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Bluemoon

posted on 8/5/19 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Reluctantly went for gravel on ours as cheap and looks nice... but we don not have a gradient to deal with.. gravel is not compatible with car matinance but needs must.. might be worth looking at other finishes once the costs of the grid is included?
Benzine

posted on 8/5/19 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
gravel is not compatible with car matinance

It is good though if you drop a load of black oil on it though, a quick rake and you're sorted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/5/19 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cars parked on gravel drives tend to rust quicker than cars parked on hard surfaces due to the ground beneath the gravel not drying as quick and causing condensation on the cars
steve m

posted on 8/5/19 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
The road I park in when at work has several houses with gravel driveways, and to me, they look cheap and tacky, and the bloody stones are ALL OVER THE ROAD, and I do mean all over, gravel drives should be banned, the only purpose they have is to annoy the neighbours, also imagine living next to someone who has one and is a shift worker,

CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH

All bloody day and night

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

posted on 8/5/19 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
I believe they reduce your house insurance.

[Edited on 8/5/19 by 907]

trextr7monkey

posted on 9/5/19 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
How about tarmac the slope and gravel the yard?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Mash

posted on 9/5/19 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
As all the above, DON'T DO IT

Just one accidental heavy right foot, and you'll be getting cracked windows too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.