Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hydrolastic/Hydrogas Suspension
Spyderman

posted on 3/2/03 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hydrolastic/Hydrogas Suspension

Anyone on here have any experience or knowledge of using the Hydrolastic units from the Metro on another vehicles suspension?

I want to use them instead of steel springs.
They offer greater versatility in adjustment range than a stel spring does. Just pump them up to increase ground clearance, or release some to lower without adjusting spring rate.

Arguements for and against please?
But no anti Austin or Rover just cuz you don't like em!

Terry

Spyderman

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/2/03 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
For example in the MGF, rover used TWO front metro sub frames, one empty and at the front, one full & back to front at the rear. Hyrdolastic has a lot to offer, but you need to build the vehicle to specific weights to make them work because the displacer units only come as specific units.
(ie specific spring weights)

Enjoy

[Edited on 3/2/03 by jollygreengiant]

johnston

posted on 3/2/03 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
citreon are apparently usin some sorta hydrothingy system on the xsara wrc to control the anti roll bars
Spyderman

posted on 3/2/03 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
JGG,

Does the MGF use dampers on front sub frame?

Are the units linked front to rear as in the Metro?

Terry

[Edited on 3/2/03 by Bull]

Spyderman

theconrodkid

posted on 3/2/03 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
metro fronts were independant and rears were conected side to side so i supose they are all indipendant,as jgg says they might not be the right "spring rate" and are non adjustable unless you move the mounting point along the lower arm?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/2/03 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
i have had several cars that have had hydro on it.

in most respects they were a bit hard in the ride.

a hydro unit has gas one side, and fluid the other. the gas, which ISNT adjustable, is the springy bit. the fluid is used to set ride height. the fluid is pumped in to set ride height and as a bodge when the gas is leaking to try and get the ride height back. fluid cannot compress. so, if you pump more water in you just change ride height. so, as adjustable units, they dont!

some have a damping action in em - metros from about f reg on dont have dampers - just hydro units. Earlier ones like my c reg turbo had displacers AND an external damper.

I wouldnt use em.

atb

steve

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/2/03 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
metro fronts were independant and rears were conected side to side so i supose they are all indipendant,as jgg says they might not be the right "spring rate" and are non adjustable unless you move the mounting point along the lower arm?

Early metro's this is true, but later metro's were split left Front & Rear (one connector at rear) and right front and rear (another connector at rear).

MGF's I think are split like the early metro's but for some reason they just don't seem to go down like the metro's. I've NEVER had a reason to pump one up. Oh and the front suuspension is metro uprights with a CV joint as the spindle but no shaft, cage or bearings in it. They do look a bit funny, but they obviously work.

Enjoy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.