Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Virus Hoax doing rounds again.
Rob Lane

posted on 27/3/03 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Virus Hoax doing rounds again.

Hi all,

I've just received an email from a well meaning friend regarding a virus not detectable by normal means.

IT's A HOAX.

If you receive one urging you to delete the file jdbgmgr.exe and to pass the message on, then DON'T. Ignore it.

This is a Windows system file and is sometimes required.

IT IS A HOAX!

Rob Lane

James

posted on 27/3/03 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Hi all,
've just received an email from a well meaning friend regarding a virus not detectable by normal means.

IT's A HOAX.
Rob Lane

Thanks Rob!

I get these e-mails all the time and unfortunately I also get to sort out the ensuing panic when someone sends these off round the office- I'm one of the anti-virus admins here.
Trying to convince people that it's been invented and not "a warning sent out by Microsoft, AOL, GM" and every other big company is not always easy!

Doesn't wind me up as much as those e-mails about how if you send it on to 20 people Bill Gates will track it and personally send you a cheque for a million quid!!!

Rant over!

James

[Edited on 27/3/03 by James]

auzziejim

posted on 27/3/03 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
'send this email to 20 people or you will die in the next 3 days'

Now where did that delete button go? i aint died or had any bad luck yet, i must be special eh?

James

Peteff

posted on 27/3/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Rant.

Bill Gates is a bugger for sending out money. I'm always telling him to stop it but will he listen, he'll be down to his last $40 billion if he's not careful. I use hotmail and I get at least 30 spams a day including money launderers and chain letters. I've used all the space on my blocked senders list so I send them to junk mail and just delete everything. Web based e-mail keeps the virus off your hard drive, that's my theory. Virus writers and spammers are scum and are just crapping on their own doorstep in my opinion. If they stall the system then they are out of business with the rest of us.
String 'em up the lot of 'em.

yours, Pete.

I feel a lot better now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/3/03 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
i just heard a great idea on the radio for junk doorstep mail.

take one companies credit card application form, put it in anothers reply paid envelope and vice versa and spam em back.

and for email they suggested this

http://www.mailwasher.net/

atb

steve

[Edited on 27/3/03 by stephen_gusterson]

James

posted on 28/3/03 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
i just heard a great idea on the radio for junk doorstep mail.
take one companies credit card application form, put it in anothers reply paid envelope and vice versa and spam em back.

I get very little junk mail I'm glad to say but even so it winds me up- until I came up with an idea.

To test it I took a couple of the postage paid envelopes they include in the mail they send me. I covered up the address with a plain sticker and re-addressed it to myself and posted it. Guess what- the letter came back to me postage paid.

Now, I'm not 100% sure how the system works but as these envelopes have a bar-code on them presumably when the letter went through the franking machine at the PO the company who sent it will get charged!

The moral of this story is:
keep the postage-paid envelopes and re-address them and send your own letters in the envelopes- for free!!!

Very Locost! :-D

Cheers,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.