Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Literacy
Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/8/10 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
Recently on a falconry website and came across this (thread was about where the passion for hawking started):

"Woching sparowhawks kill my dads duvs and puling finches throw my bruthers avary I wos a bawt 6yers and wocht a spar pluking a duv on my gardun . and my ubseshun startid ther my fasunashun with predators. but never took falconry sereusly til i wos 15 wen i had my 1st gos thats wen i go from but iv oll waesd luvd falcons and hawks"

Worrying insn't it

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

David Jenkins

posted on 5/8/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
You do have to be careful when criticising someone's spelling on a forum though...

I've seen one of those humorous 'natural laws' which states that "Any post that criticises another's spelling mistakes will itself contain at least one spelling mistake."

interestedparty

posted on 5/8/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I think that it's the general use of the internet that has shown up many people as being quite incapable of spelling and writing clearly. Years ago it was never a problem, people who were perfectly capable of earning a decent living never actually had to write anything so their 'little problem' was never noticed.

I used it work in sales, and lots of blokes came in to buy stuff that I couldn't afford myself, (by a BIG margin) but they had to get their wives to write the cheque.

Nowadays anybody who wants to participate fully in modern life has to type stuff into computers, and as the necessity to do that increases, so it seems that the standard of teaching in schools decreases.

I would never think less of someone who couldn't spell, but I don't like it when people haven't made any kind of effort to make their stuff easy to read.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.