Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daily Driver
RoadkillUK

posted on 20/8/04 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's a '98 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD with hydropneumatic suspension, it's like driving a cloud

Oh, and I must mention the sad personal plate (see avatar)

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 20/8/04 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mundano Estate Velly big boot
richardR1

posted on 20/8/04 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
2000 Vectra V6 SRi saloon and 1992 Clio 16v on 17's
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/8/04 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
A 2.3 ltr White TRANSIT REAR WHEEL DRIVE comes with a diesel card........and goes faster in all gears including reverse. Uses only the most expensive oils/fuel. Floor is designed to double as dustbin/floor. Tyres are disposible as they get replaced for sidewall damage from all the nails and screws left in the yard by the installers. The racks are spaced to allow the transportation of plasterboard and 8x4 ali sheets. The suspention is designed to climb pavements and drive on to verges to enable you to, not walk too far. Quickest thing in traffic first rule of the road .....white van always gives way to another white van.......it works!
Swimbo drives a dented mondeo cause she aint good at reversing! nice smooth Zetec in it........with a personal reg L2TES thats getting transfered sometime to the next one.

[Edited on 21-8-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mackie

posted on 21/8/04 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
1999 Ford Puma 1.7. Cracking engine, handling and gearshift and decentish economy.
Would have had an MX5 1.8 but decided I couldn't live without a usable boot.
I'd quite like an RX8 or 350Z in a few years.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 21/8/04 at 02:11 AM Reply With Quote
I used to drive a 1.8 sierra until I knackered it practising my double-declutching technique. (Note to self - sierras do NOT like going into 1st gear at 50mph). Didn't really bother me as i was only getting 18mpg! Ripped some bits off to use as spares for my indy and sent it to the car graveyard

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Skirrow

posted on 21/8/04 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
Generation 1 Honda CRX

Old enough to rust, not old enough to be considered a classic.

I like it though.

If that's off the road for any reason, one of my rustbucket Minis.

Stuart Ainslie

posted on 21/8/04 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Pug 406 Turbo Diesel for commuting.

Astra Bertone Coupe with a few Irmscher bits for shopping.

JoelP

posted on 21/8/04 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skirrow
Generation 1 Honda CRX

my mate drives an ancient civic, on an S suffix. Looks mint! CRXs arent that old yet, are they? still ok motors.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

madforfishing

posted on 21/8/04 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Saab 9-3 turbo convertible - was written off (Cat C) by previous owner in a double side swipe, can't complain - was cheap to buy and reasonable to repair. Mint once again now. Looks great but rolls like a ship on std suspension.
My Mrs has a 'sheep in wolf's clothing' 1.9 BMW Z3. Looks the part but you have to really work the engine to get some go. Not much can touch it on bends though, very sticky, very small for me (6'4". I need the roof down to poke my head out of.

jollygreengiant

posted on 21/8/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Work car - peugeot 406 diesel turbo complete with taxi sign.

Home - Vauxhall Omegod 2.5V sex (Sorry 6) auto estate over all mpg = 24 not bad considering wife drives it during rush hour from Rushden to Kettering.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Jasper

posted on 21/8/04 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Volvo T5 Estate - poo off a shovel, eats front tyres, 23mpg on a good day, still pulling at 140mph on the autobahn, and I can fit everything I own in the boot!!!!

The Mrs drives a tatty N-reg Mondeo, promised her a better car if she can go 12 months without a dent - my money is VERY safe

Skirrow

posted on 21/8/04 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

my mate drives an ancient civic, on an S suffix. Looks mint! CRXs arent that old yet, are they? still ok motors.

No, they came out mid 80's I think. Not the nicest looking thing but its pretty fast. It'll do 130 and it's pretty fast accelerating if you keep it over 4k revs.

Only cost me £350 which is nice.

Looks like this only mine is a dirty white with rusty arches.

mackie

posted on 21/8/04 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Skirrow,

Does the CRX have the 1.6 twin cam 130bhp engine (ala 216 GTi)?
They are pretty nice motors by all accounts.

ChrisW

posted on 21/8/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I will be driving a '95 Pug 306 Cabriolet, lowered onto 18" alloys, phase 3 front end, doors, bumpers, rubbing strips etc filled and smoothed over and running a 3.0 24v V6 from a 406 Coupe.... when I get it back from the paintshop!

At the moment I'm driving a very clean '87 XR2 which runs an American 1.9 CVH block bored to 2.0 on Webers with all the bits you need to make it quick. It's in desperate need of a run on a rolling road and I've got a nitro setup to go on it when I get round to getting some more injectors!

Chris

My gaff my rules

Jasper

posted on 21/8/04 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
So Chris - when are you going to spend the time and ££££ on the Seven
Peteff

posted on 21/8/04 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Pimp my ride eh!

I thought you were with the BBC not MTV Chris. Bling bling.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/8/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
12 months without a dent?

If she doesnt get the new car you might go 12 months without a bonk

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Volvo T5 Estate - poo off a shovel, eats front tyres, 23mpg on a good day, still pulling at 140mph on the autobahn, and I can fit everything I own in the boot!!!!

The Mrs drives a tatty N-reg Mondeo, promised her a better car if she can go 12 months without a dent - my money is VERY safe

[Edited on 21/8/04 by stephen_gusterson]

ChrisW

posted on 21/8/04 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
So Chris - when are you going to spend the time and ££££ on the Seven

When I stop buying 'go faster' bits off people like you!!

Chris

My gaff my rules

Skirrow

posted on 22/8/04 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mackie
Skirrow,

Does the CRX have the 1.6 twin cam 130bhp engine (ala 216 GTi)?
They are pretty nice motors by all accounts.

Didn't know it was in the 216 Gti, but it sounds like the fella.

1590 DOHC

It's a fun car to drive but it makes you work for it. As I say, until about 4k revs nothing much happens. Nice induction roar when the power does kick in though, probably thanks to the giant ram pipe and bucket sized airfilter the previous owner put on it.

Shame it's front wheel drive but it does the job for my daily driver.

Jim

posted on 22/8/04 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
52 plate Civic Type R. Not quite as fast as the Mk Blade but it will do for a road car. Looks nice, excellent engine and Gear change. sometimes get 27 mpg!!

Jim

marktigere1

posted on 23/8/04 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Nissan Almera 2.0 Diesel. Very economical and very slow

Also, Rover 216 GTi Twin Cam. Yes it does have the same engine as the CRX. Goes like a rocket over 4500 rpm with a fantastic engine noise. Handling is fantastic as well. Getting rare so I hope to hang onto it for a while.

Cheers

Mark

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

mackie

posted on 23/8/04 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
People with loads of cars:

How do you go about insuring them? Can you get policies to cover you full comp on any car you own (maybe up to a certain value)?

Skirrow

posted on 23/8/04 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I do something which is possibly not 100% legal but nobody has actually managed to come up with a reason why not yet. If anyone can think of anything it will be appriciated as I'd like to know before I fall foul of the law.

Basically, my 1litre mini is insured on a policy which allows be to drive any other car, 3rd party, as long as it doesn't belong to me.

So, all my other cars, belong to, and are registered to my girlfriend, hence I am insured on them all!

The only is problems I can see is that they are 3rd party only, none are worth that much though. The only other problem I can see would arise if the car was parked in a public car park and the handbrake failed and the car rolled into someone or something. As I wouldn't be driving it would not be insured.

andyps

posted on 23/8/04 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think your problem is that if the car is not insured in its own right, it is illegal to park it at the side of the road and leave it unoccupied. I am sure (but may be wrong) that there is a law which requires insurance for this. You are OK, however, whilst driving.

The other issue is, how do you tax the car if it is not covered?

One way round covering lots of cars is a motor traders policy but I gather they have got very expensive recently. The other solution is a fleet insurance policy - where a company insures its fleet via one policy - don't know how easy this would be to organise as an individual though.

[Edited on 23/8/04 by andyps]

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.