Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whatever happened to friendly dicussion?
greglogan

posted on 1/3/06 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys. I am scared to ask any more Sunday night stoopid questions for fear of starting another row! I asked the question Build or Buy? in the Chassis section, and I am amazes and even a little disappointed in some of the responses. The nature of this forum (I thought) was a whole neighbourhood helping each other out. I never for once thought that this would happen.

Okay, so yours might be better (bigger??) than mine or whatever, but what does it matter. So you got crap service from a supplier, it doesn't mean they are always bad. Things can go wrong...

Anyway guys, lets all move on and try to accept our differences. Please don't let your differences spoil this great resource to amatuers like me.

Now everybody get together for a big group hug. Where's the love, people?

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

greglogan

posted on 1/3/06 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
Build or Buy?

Hi guys. I deleted the post that caused all the problems. Sorry for all the agro. I know this isn't the done thing to do, but it was getting out of hand.

So heres to all the people who fell out. Was there any need for half of what was said. It is only a Website, its not your wife/girlfriends honour you're trynig to defend. Get some perspective about life. I am pretty peed off by the way the thread went. It was only a simple stoopid Sunday evening question.

Guys, life really is too short for this. Don't destroy a great resource that this website is to amatuer beginners like me.....

[Edited on 1/3/06 by greglogan]

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

shortie

posted on 1/3/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Greg,

Please don't feel you need to stop posting any questions you have no matter how silly you think they might be.

There have been many times when I have needed this forum for all manner of stupid questions I have needed to ask throughout the build and I think I can safetly say that everytime without fail I have recieved very useful and helpful advice.

I decided to build my Indy after visiting all the manufacturers at the shows and talking to them and then narrowing it down and then visiting three of them at their workshops.

There are quite a few companies out there if you decide to buy and they all have their good and bad points to be honest, I think it just ends up who you feel most comfortable with and what sort of prioce range you are looking at.

I have many friends who have bought kits and also many who have built their own chassis and I am very impressed with the time and effort that goes into building your own chassis as it is obviously alot harder than buying one 'off the shelf'.

In truth whether you buy or build then I feel you will get alot of satisfaction out of the end result, it just depends on your circumstances (time, money, etc.) as to which route you choose.

Once the chassis is bought or built then then it's probably fair to say that most people buy all the bits such as bodywork, seats, lights, suspension, etc.

If you do choose to build a car in whatever form then I think there are a few people over in Ireland and if you can get in touch with them this will help you alot as often chatting through something over the phone during the build helps alot, I used to phone MAC1 most days when I was getting to the end of the build as they were always happy to just listen and give advice where neccessary which really helps alot.

Hope that helps,
Rich.

BKLOCO

posted on 1/3/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greglogan
Hi guys. I deleted the post that caused all the problems.

Spoilsport

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Syd Bridge

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'm saying nothing! And even that will be jumped on by someone who sees it as abusive!

Love to all,
Syd.

Browser

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Don't sweat it mate, THere will always be keyboard Rambo's who engage knee to jerk fully without engaging brain and hide behind the anonymity of a website to vent their spleen's at anyone they choose
Please keep coming here as the more people we get the more shared experience we'll have

chrisg

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I have been a member on here for a fair while (yes I know not as long as many of you!) but it seems just recently that theres been a huge number of arguments over the most petty of things and a lot of unsubstatiated things said about various people/companies etc etc

I have no idea what started it all off, but I went away for the summer, came back and theres been arguments every month since pretty much.

Fair enough theres always been diagreements, or the odd crossed word said, but its always been perhaps justified and very rare.

Just remember when you post that you can't always convey tone of voice or meaning with smilies! And people may take things in a way in which they werent intended. Especially if its a sarcastic or synical comment.

Since a lot of the arguments seem to have come about over manufacturers. Of course everyone has the right to defend a manufacturer, especially if they are building one of their cars and have always had good service, but it helps if only people who have had any dealing with said manufacturer have their input (be it good or bad!), be that manufacturer MK, MNR, Mac1, GTS, Luego etc etc. Basically, if you have no experience of a service and are going only on what others have said, keep your mouth shut. I think theres a few stirrers who want to wind others up...

Cant we all be friends??! Agree to disagree on certain things?

Cheers,
David

PS None of this is aimed at anyone in particular! Just an in general.

Shut it!

I didn't see the thread, busy having a life and all that.

Sorry it won't happen again.

But here's my uninformed opinion anyway.

ALL the disagreements on here stem from misunderstandings, due to the internet being rubbish at conveying tone and humour.

Next time you think someones having a pop, ask them.

If they are then fire away.......

VIA U2U!!!!!

Next person starts a row on here's going to get their legs slapped and no chocolate for a week!

Cheers

the Headmaster.

britishtrident

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
For Pythons everywhere ---

That argument was never 5 minutes !

I am afraid it was!

Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

[Edited on 28/2/06 by flak monkey]

Gainsaying wow ;-)

Gainsaying dosen't really cover it I think new word is required ---- gainslaying --- Quick Buffy grab some silver bullets lets go out and slay a few gains ;-)

[Edited on 1/3/06 by britishtrident]

David Jenkins

posted on 1/3/06 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Now we've got spelling pedants!

No names, no pack-drill... but now people are flaming because of a mis-placed apostrophe!

THIS IS A CAR BUILDING FORUM. Get a life.

Bad spelling and poor punctuation annoys me - but not everyone is word-perfect and, if you can understand the writer's meaning, I am happy to let it go. There have also been a number of dyslexic writers on this forum, and allowances have to be made.

The only ones that really stretch my patience are those who have obviously given no thought to the shape of their sentence, plus the use of text-speak, resulting in a string of characters that totally fail to convey any meaning. Those I ignore - I can't be bothered to rant at them.

If this was a forum on English Grammar then complaints would be justified. But it is a car forum.

regards,
David

P.S. If anyone manages to find any grammatical or spelling errors in what I've just said, I suggest that you write your complaint on a piece of stiff card, roll it up into a cylinder, and stuff it where the sun don't shine... I simply won't care!

iank

posted on 1/3/06 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Agree completely about the apostrophy/spelling thing.

English grammar, spelling and idiom can and do change over time. If they didn't we would still be talking and writing in the same way as Shakespeare or before him Chaucer so people who get it wrong could just be before their time

(take a look at the original forms if you want a hard time understanding 'correct' english of the 17th and 14th Centuries)

Shakespeare Link

Chaucer Link

NS Dev

posted on 1/3/06 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
No names, no pack-drill... but now people are flaming because of a mis-placed apostrophe!

Bad spelling and poor punctuation annoys me - but not everyone is word-perfect and, if you can understand the writer's meaning, I am happy to let it go. There have also been a number of dyslexic writers on this forum, and allowances have to be made.

The only ones that really stretch my patience are those who have obviously given no thought to the shape of their sentence, plus the use of text-speak, resulting in a string of characters that totally fail to convey any meaning. Those I ignore - I can't be bothered to rant at them.

If this was a forum on English Grammar then complaints would be justified. But it is a car forum.

regards,
David

P.S. If anyone manages to find any grammatical or spelling errors in what I've just said, I suggest that you write your complaint on a piece of stiff card, roll it up into a cylinder, and stuff it where the sun don't shine... I simply won't care!

Er, sure I just spotted a spelling mistake there....................

I was going to reply to "that other" thread on the apostrophe front, along similar lines to your writing above, but just could not be bothered in the end and stuck to the technical bit!

cheers

Nat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

David Jenkins

posted on 1/3/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Er, sure I just spotted a spelling mistake there....................

Card... cylinder... insert!

NS Dev

posted on 1/3/06 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
OUUUCHHHH!!!!!!......................................................no, definitely won't fit!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

James

posted on 1/3/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have been a member on here for a fair while (yes I know not as long as many of you!) but it seems just recently that theres been a huge number of arguments over the most petty of things and a lot of unsubstatiated things said about various people/companies etc etc

Gotta agree Flak, lots of daft arguments on here recently.

They do often seem to revolve around who's manufacturer is best a lot too!

I have a lot to thank LB for in both a technical sense (I couldn't have built the car without the help I've received here) and a social sense in that I've made some long-term friends through people I've met here. So it would be a great shame if this fantastic resource was broken apart by petty arguing.

At the end of the day as car builders we're all a minority here and that should unite us. The government and Europe are only going to try to make our building lives harder or maybe even stop our hobby (or career in manufacturers cases!!!) altogether if they can so we should keep a unified front if at all possible.

All the best,

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Jon Ison

posted on 1/3/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
These where the days, dunno what everyone was driving but there would have been lots of diversity and not an ill word spoken, I have met some great guys on here, made some good long standing friends who I prob don't see from one year too next but most of all had lots of help and advice from a massive knowledge Base. Cheers lads..........

Remember this, locostbuilders at its best. Rescued attachment dony_-_portable_cinema.jpg
Rescued attachment dony_-_portable_cinema.jpg

Jon Ison

posted on 1/3/06 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
or this, sorry not learnt how too post 2 pics at once....... Rescued attachment dony_-_boys_on_pitwall.jpg
Rescued attachment dony_-_boys_on_pitwall.jpg

DEAN C.

posted on 1/3/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Jon,I've been looking for something to keep the kids away from the fireplace.

Seem to remember a few of those faces,strange how things move along and people drift away for various reasons.

Dean...........

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

bob

posted on 1/3/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well done jon ison

Those pics brought back great memories of a fantastic weekend, and as you said not an ill word and only helpfull tips.

And to think we would never have met if it wasnt for this site

Hopefully we can make Stoneleigh another great weekend in may

steve_gus

posted on 1/3/06 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
if a poster starts picking on their opponents spelling, its a sure fire indicator that they are losing an argument.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

regards,
David

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 2/3/06 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
Where did we go wrong??
This forum used to be a place to discuss building our cars and seek advice / solutions.
Now, it seems to me that people will think twice before posting a question for fear of being ridiculed.
I've benefited from advice on here many times, it was always freely given and at times with a bit of a tongue in cheek humour, (which I enjoy). Not all advice is 100% accurate but I don't imagine that anyone is posting with a deliberate will to deceive, there will always be someone prepared to point out another approach. This, in my opinion makes for a healthy forum from which we can all benefit, let's not strangle the thing by flaming anyone who has an opinion which differs from your own.
My self imposed guideline is to try to limit my posts to subjects that I have first hand experience of.

If I've offended anyone by my grammar, speeling or punkchuation then I'd like to appologise, but I think there are more important issues at stake.

Mick

David Jenkins

posted on 2/3/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think you've offended anyone with your grandma...

David

BTW: I think Chippy's response to the abuse was more than sufficient...

[Edited on 2/3/06 by David Jenkins]

James

posted on 2/3/06 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one there Mr. Ison.

You've left me with great big grin on my face remembering what a great weekend that was!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Jon Ison

posted on 2/3/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
well summer will be upon us before we know it, how about a MK, MNR, GTS, MAC1, Book Chassis whatever you built/drive locostbuilders knees up at a show meeting somewhere ??

Sorry if I missed any manufactures off, was 100% unintentional if I did. I'm sure I did miss someone, sorry.

JoelP

posted on 2/3/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
you missed lego you fashist sorry, that luego isnt it?!
David Jenkins

posted on 2/3/06 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to have 'Lego' stuck in my mind now, whenever I think of that company...

David

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.