Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just won a Landrover on ebay.....
richard thomas

posted on 7/12/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just won a Landrover on ebay.....

Not sure why I'm posting this really.....just elated to have won a 1971 Landy 109 with a Perkins 3.3 diesel and a safari roof on ebay. Must be getting old or summat...always wanted one.

Any ideas on the cheapest way to get from Preston to Poole? Just asked missus for a lift down there - I won't repeat the reply, not sure if it was the distance or the Landy that is the issue!!!!!

Rich.

twybrow

posted on 7/12/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one. The only 4x4 I would own....

You could always look at flights into Bournemouth!? Otherwise, it looks like a fun train journey for you....!

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/12/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
"on yer bike"

I guess they are only close alphabetically

Nice car. I am often tempted on e-bay for a diesel free-tax landrover. If you get an army ambulance then you can even avoid the MOT (not very clever really).

Matt

blakep82

posted on 7/12/08 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
i'd love a series landy

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

richard thomas

posted on 7/12/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently my missus wouldn't...

skodaman

posted on 7/12/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one. I've always wanted a tax-free diesel landy. Don't know why cos I never go off road. Must be the no road tax and that u can run it on chip pan oil that appeals.
Cheapest way to Poole? Honda C50 apparently does over 500 mpg at 20 mph, but it might take a few days.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 7/12/08 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Land Rovers are very handy things to have! Easy to work on reliable if looked after, cheap parts easily available. Once you have it you will find excuses to go off road, its fun to get the training you will be amazed where you can get a Land Rover to go! Mine payed a pretty major role in fetching and carrying parts for the Locost, it is an SWB with a roof rack and managed to move the entire project from one place to another in one load!

They are a bit different to drive, can be quite scary first time if you are used to modern cars bt once you are used to them you can husstle them along with the traffic though stick in he slow lane on the motorway, thrashing them over 60mph for a long run
is asking for trouble!

Goodluck and have fun with it!

Caber

richard thomas

posted on 7/12/08 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks mate,

Already got a Discovery, but it's not really 'Old Skool' enough - plus the missus hogs it! In my (questionable) mind the old Series Landies are a design classic! Wouldn't feel out of place turning up at the Queens garden party in one, if you see what I mean?

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/12/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Perkins/Mazda 4.182 powered SII 109. One of the 22 military 109 prototypes, so pretty ancient. It had already had the original engine pulled out (a good thing), so I didn't feel too bad about modifying it with a Mazda.
Spent 3 years a long time ago, rebuilding everything, the car is still as good today as it was when 'finished' (a mythical state). It's uncomfortable, slow, has the turning circle of the titanic and hates going in straight line. However, I took the roof off it this summer, so I could get open top motoring without the licence-losing Westfield speed. It's a laugh a minute, I love it.
It serves as a back-up tow vehicle should the race barge fail (it did once this year). Apart from that, it doesn't do anything to justify the garage space. Mind you, no tax, negligable insurance and an MoT where the boxes N/A are ticked. I just can't ever bring myself to sell it.

johnston

posted on 8/12/08 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
goto www.difflock.com

you'll find a few like minded folk alot of info and probably get invited to a few green laning days or pay and play sites!!!

GregSL75

posted on 8/12/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 1969 Lightweight (Airportable) which was the one made for transporting in planes and being chucked out the back on a parachute.

It's got a high comp Rover V8 fitted and although it looks heavy, it's just the ladder chassis and a few ally panels weighs similar to a modern Golf GTI (ok that is heavy!) so it's quite good fun. Especially in the wet or on gravel in RWD....

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

02GF74

posted on 8/12/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ nice - so where are the photos? presumably you have to collect it?

^^^ nice LWT but then I am biased. High comp V8 - is that the P5 engine?

here is a photo of mine, the lesser spotted lightweight in its natural habitat.

lightweight at Bordon
lightweight at Bordon

richard thomas

posted on 8/12/08 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's in my pics, struggling to remember how to attach pics to post!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.