Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Chatroom
Dunc

posted on 13/3/02 at 09:32 AM
Hey David, build one for £250 with bog standard bit's, clean it all up and make it look pretty then sell it for £2500 and build a bike engined one with the best of parts.
David Jenkins

posted on 13/3/02 at 09:39 AM
Unfortunately, my build cost is going to be nearer £2000 than £250 (no surprise there, then).

The bike engine may be a transplant at a later date...
... he says, hopefully.

David

Jon Ison

posted on 13/3/02 at 07:04 PM
i got one, te he........
Dazza

posted on 14/3/02 at 12:27 AM
I will (if ever) stick to a car engine locost and save the bike engine for 2 wheels, My ZX6R is fast enough for me, 165mph so far and a bit left!!!!!!

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/3/02 at 10:42 AM
The bike engine is only a pipe dream - as someone said on another topic, my 1660 X-flow will be exciting enough for a while, and I only want a manageable fun car (i.e. "toy") that I can enjoy on a sunny weekend.

sixteenkw

posted on 14/3/02 at 07:45 PM
is anybody building a locost out there or are they buying all the bits and pieces like a meccano set?
stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/3/02 at 08:14 PM
sixteenkw - I cant understand your plot?

You actually gonna make your own wheels and tyres and hubs and stuff and chuck together your own v12 1.6 litre cossiekentcolgneninjamotor special from , like, the rock - melting ya own steel?

Having frigged around in the garage nearly 2 years to get a roller chasis seems long enougth to me.

Then im not that mean to make my chassis from old bits from a rust scrap bin, bits of an old transit van sides, or allagro parts.

Ron snapped up just about the last pair of 60 quid shockers out there. Once you publish a book that 1000s of people buy, there are very few bargains, and nice box vans waiting to have their sides removed out there.

What painful path are you taking to acheive the minimalist ethic, my son.....

hommmmmmm hommmmmmm

sixteenkw

posted on 14/3/02 at 08:24 PM
OF CAUSE WE HAVE TO GET WHEELS, HUBS BRAKES. BUT THE IDEA WAS TO MAKE CHASSIS, WINGS, NOSE CONE, SEATS WISH BONES NOT GO OUT AND BUY THEM
chrisg

posted on 14/3/02 at 09:14 PM
I made all mine, including the chassis,ali nosecone and GRP bits

Only thingI didn't make (apart from the bits Ford gave me)was the roll bar (from MK)

Don't shout, I'm feeling a little delicate

Cheers

Chris

sixteenkw

posted on 14/3/02 at 09:25 PM
nice to here from some body who has made most of the car have you got it on the road yet? what eng/box did you use any pics?
chrisg

posted on 14/3/02 at 09:37 PM
It's been on the road but is currently "resting" awaiting a new screen and fuse box.

It's +100 mm 2.0 pinto/4spd

Check my website:-

http://www.gibbs111.fsnet.co.uk

Cheers

Chris

Dazza

posted on 14/3/02 at 10:11 PM
I dont think it matters weather you make it all yourself, make some buy the rest or buy it all, as long as you enjoy it and have a car you like at the end(that goes) then it is all worth it. Some people are not capable or dont have the time to fabricate everything or make some of the stuff, its just not practicle. So stop all the bitching and support every builder and dont knock the buyers out there. We are not all into making everything. If only people who made there own stuff made these cars, this web site, thousands of others and millions of great kit cars would not be on the road.......

And i dont even have a kit car at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/3/02 at 10:30 PM
Thing is sixteenkw, is not to be on a list for just a couple days and five posts, and then to start and say people are not building their own cars properly.

Anyone thats spent hours in a garage making a lot of the car up (and I havnt bought anything ready made 'cept a couple bits my dad did like the tank) might get a bit peeved after all that, being told they are not doing it the right way.

Chris, for instance, even spent nearly six months making up a nose cone out of alu - now that would do my head in.

A lot of guys on here also have real life drivable cars.

I belong also to a robin hood 2b list and those guys get real touchy if you accuse them of building from mechanno. Aparrently most stuff from rh needs to be hacked to fit anyway.

At the end of the day, a car built yourself, from whatever point you call 'building it yourself' - still means you have a great car from your own hands.

And you have got how far......?

Dazza

posted on 14/3/02 at 10:34 PM
I agree, its still a car you built yourself, no matter how you do it.

i would build one if i had a garage, but i have to make do with buying ready built ones and working, changing, repairing them...

ho hum, garage one day then build my own!!

I will be assisting with Bobs a little thou, if he needs it!!!!!

fuckit

bob

posted on 14/3/02 at 11:02 PM
YAWN

This section reminds me of the other list(the dark side),as long as the cars get built does it really matter.
I'm buying most bits and fabricating some small parts,I'll be on the road for well under 3 grand so i'll be happy.
i've not met anyone yet who's welded and made all the bits for less than £1500,there are no rules which is the beauty of it.

bigdaddyadd

posted on 14/3/02 at 11:19 PM
I'm gonna have to get a new hand bag if we are goimg to start swinging them over or heads strap broke on my old on. I think eveyone has their own reasons for deciding to build a Locost some may just like the rawness of this elusive beast personally I just want a quick car as cheap as I can bloddy well manage which so far has seen me make the majority of the thing myself but if I'm offered bits to speed progress at the right money I will not be displaying twat logic and will buy em. If I didn't have such a measily budget I would probably build a nice cobra or westfield I just wannago fast and I come here for help and to offer help where I can. Fair enough I think and if you dont bollox to ya
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 14/3/02 at 11:25 PM
Well said - handbags away eh lads!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dazza

posted on 15/3/02 at 12:58 PM
agreed, eh sixteen!!!!!!!!

fuckit

sixteenkw

posted on 15/3/02 at 07:36 PM
stephen, i didnt say people were not building their cars prop. what i ment was, the idea was to make a car not go out and buy all the parts ness to build one. you didnt go to BEAULIEU last year, coil overs £30 pair, rose joints £1 each. bob, mine cost £900 to make
sixteenkw

posted on 15/3/02 at 07:49 PM
bob, ive got as far as 1st, 85[2end picture], 189, and last page [last picture] in rons book. it took me 3 months to make it.had to rush because we thought the sva was coming out early. as its "L" reg no i get free road tax. keith ward
stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/3/02 at 09:06 PM
quote:
stephen, i didnt say people were not building their cars prop. what i ment was, the idea was to make a car not go out and buy all the parts ness to build one. you didnt go to BEAULIEU last year, coil overs £30 pair, rose joints £1 each. bob, mine cost £900 to make

That didnt compare too well to the prices I paid!

Actually i have never been to a show in the two years almost i have been building.

Might go to the next one.

perhaps

maybe

possibly

if its a nice day

bob

posted on 15/3/02 at 11:21 PM
Sixteen
The yellow one,seen it at a show.£900 cool looks good i take my hat off too you.

sixteenkw

posted on 16/3/02 at 12:06 AM
stephen, you must go to the shows to learn, copy other ideas mine was one of the first locosts if i did an other i would copy lots of ideas from the shows. are you a member of the locost club?

sixteenkw

posted on 16/3/02 at 12:38 AM
to big daddy addy, you must spend more time on the net than working on you r/hood. but theres is more room in them for yiur hand bag.if you want to go fast get a train. we get a better deal off AIR PRODUCTS for gas. no need for a reg or a flow meter, all built in and cheaper
stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/3/02 at 08:33 AM
quote:
stephen, you must go to the shows to learn, copy other ideas mine was one of the first locosts if i did an other i would copy lots of ideas from the shows. are you a member of the locost club?

Nope, im not a member of the locost car club. I had seen the 'book' around for a while, and it made me toy with the idea of building a car - initially the idea of a rear engined (as they are) delorian look alike was my aim. It then turned into using the locost as a basis for a design and modding it to look like a Morgan. Only real differences are cosmetic extra panels - like winds, running boards, angled back AND - gasp - doors.

I will go to a show at some point - the one in May possibly - and meet up with the other locosters.

However im gonna look like a bit of a black sheep, being so different

But then there's the guys with the 4wd versions and that V12 beast when its made is gonna me real different.

ATB

Steve

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.