Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ballast Resistor on a Cross Flow
lee_leggett

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ballast Resistor on a Cross Flow

Can anyone tell me If i should have a ballast resistor type coil on my 1300cc cross flow or not. I burnt out the old coil, due to a faulty wire, then changed teh coil, and thought i fixed the wire however again the coil seems hot, should i be using a ballast ? i do not believe it has or had one, and was running ok, pre me trying to fix it.
Roman

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
See here for all you need to know.
stevebubs

posted on 2/4/09 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I Swapped my original xflow coil for one from (I think) an MGB which didn't need a ballast resistor.

Didn't seem to adversely affect the points / condensor

02GF74

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
it depends on the loom. the ballast resistor is a mysterious looking thick wire.

to check, measure voltage to coil when the igntion is on - would be about 9 Volt otherwsie if 12 V, then no ballast.

fit coil accordingly.

non ballast coil has 3 ohm resistance across input terminals, ballast is 1.5 ohm - again you would use you muyltimeter set to ohm or resitance range to check this.

the points nor the condenser in the distributor are not affected by and if this.

britishtrident

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Coils get hot it is normal -- but don't leave the ignition on with the engine stopped.
rusty nuts

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

the points nor the condenser in the distributor are not affected by and if this.

Fitting a ballast resistor coil without the ballast resistor WILL cause the condenser to fail .. Guess how I know! Probably your best bet if you can find one is a Valencia distributor and coil . Much more reliable than clockwork ignition, made a big improvement on my car

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.