Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Roofing costs
flak monkey

posted on 14/9/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Roofing costs

Anyone able to give me a rough idea how much it would cost to have my garage roof sorted?

Its red pan tiles at the moment, and hasnt been felted so leaks like a sieve.

Basically need the old tiles pulling off (all are intact I think) roof felt laying down, new battens fitted and the tiles replaced.

The the last building in a line of outbuildings so the roof interlocks with another which is in the same tiles...

Building size is about 6m wide and 4m deep

Just looking for an idea and weighing up doing it myself.

TIA,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/9/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Honestly your just better doing it yourself, roofs are stupidly easy. Buy a tile nail puller, looks like this –
and a roll of breathable roof membrane like this linky and do it for a fraction of the price of a slater

[Edited on 14/9/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 14/9/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
The roof should be waterproof without the felt. Are the tiles in good nick, and not dislodged to one side? If so, are they spaced with the correct overlap (going to be tricky to change that if it locks into another roof!) The tiles should overlap the slate below and 1.5 to 2 inches of the one below that if I remember correctly.

Regards
Hugh

flak monkey

posted on 14/9/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
The tiles all look ok, but they arent fitted properly, either hastily done/bodged or the building has moved a lot.

A lot of the joints have had cement shoved in them from inside, which is all falling out and covering everything in chunks of cement and dust.

Theres nothing in it at the moment other than a load of junk, just want ti fixed before I put my car in there!

Sera

Jon Ison

posted on 14/9/09 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
You may be pleasantly surprised.

We are currently having our complete roof re done, pretty largish detached bungalow, with loft conversion.

2 chimneys took down below roof level.
2 velux windows removed to make room for new dormer's
2 sun tunnels supplied and fitted.
2 new velux supplied and fitted
2 new dormer's constructed, widows etc.
Complete re tile, new felt, lats, insulation, plastering out where required etc..... £9k includes skips, scaffolding etc to.

In the scheme of things your roof is not a tenth of that.

richardR1

posted on 14/9/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely worth doing yourself. Just get down to roofing merchants and get roll of breathable felt of the type Mr Whippy linked to, really strong stuff and wont rot. Then you obviously need new tannelised battens, nails for fixing them, felt nails and bag of tile nails. Take a tile in with you and they will be able to supply the right size batten and the right length tile nails so you don't go through into the felt.
Headlap on pan tiles is usually 100mm but obviously you will be governed by the neighbouring roof if you interlock with it. Just make sure that you get your battens parallel whatever the spacing so that your tiles are nice and straight and this will make sure that they all sit nice and flat.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

flak monkey

posted on 14/9/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
What about roof access, its not incredibly high? The eves are the height of the door. Got some good ladders (ex BT ones ) but no scaffolding

The other side of the roof needs access from the neighbours side too.

Thanks for the advice so far chaps.

I will get some pics when I am down there tomorrow

[Edited on 14/9/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/9/09 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
If I was doing that type of roof, tbh I'd fit corrugated metal roofing with a very generous amount of clear panels, i.e. practically all of them

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardR1

posted on 14/9/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine just off the trestles we have with some scaffold battens across them. That was fine for a working platform to put the tiles on then just walk up the roof trusses. Once you have the battens on they make it much easier to walk up, just remember not to tread between the rafters and break the battens! You will ideally need a pair of helping hands, will be difficult to roll the felt out on your own. The felt will have a dotted line along it to show you how much overlap you need. Will pop out and take a picture of mine in a minute, my garage is 8m x 7.5m and i felted and tiled it in just over a day with a mate giving me a hand and we weren't rushing.

richardR1

posted on 14/9/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Pic of mine

Description
Description

I used dry ridge system and dry verge system, bit more expensive but no messing with sand and cement so don't have to worry about the weather and won't weather as mortar does.

JoelP

posted on 14/9/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
i had half a house roof done in bolton for something like 500, was amazed how cheap it was!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

locoboy

posted on 14/9/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i had half a house roof done in bolton for something like 500, was amazed how cheap it was!

Yes Joel bin in Bolton they nicked the tiles from the house roof over the road!

ATB
Locoboy

Puzzled

posted on 14/9/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Roof

Pity you didnt post this before you got rid of your engine. We could have done a deal!!!
tomblyth

posted on 14/9/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
dont use felt use this or equivelent!
breather membrail link

Blackcab

posted on 14/9/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Send me a pic and Dimensions and I will work you out a price and reccomend you some products.

I work for a roofing manufacturer so pretty well up on these things.

flak monkey

posted on 14/9/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcab
Send me a pic and Dimensions and I will work you out a price and reccomend you some products.

I work for a roofing manufacturer so pretty well up on these things.

Cool thanks. I will grab some pics tomorrow evening. At my other 'home' tonight lol

Thanks for the advice guys.

Hopefully I wont need any new tiles or anything, just some membrane stuff and some battens

Sera

James

posted on 14/9/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Hopefully I wont need any new tiles or anything, just some membrane stuff and some battens

I've only done roofing once and it was only a small area but my Dad's done it a few times and he helped... we were really careful and I was still pleased I'd (for once!) been organised enough to buy a few spare tiles in advance.

With any luck you'll be able to get the exact matching types otheriwse you'll have trouble matching the same style. A good tile place should be able to help you. Some are deceptively similar, took me awhile to get the actual same time rather than some that 'looked' right but had a sligtly different profile in one dimension or another!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

flak monkey

posted on 15/9/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, there are a few odd tiles, but nothing too major.

Roof 1
Roof 1

And from inside (bit of a mess!)

roof 2
roof 2

roof 3
roof 3

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.