Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bloody Hell!
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 22/5/10 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody Hell!

Just got a quote through from a builder for the cost of building a new double garage. He wants 30 grand!
Unless I can find a lo(wer)cost alternative looks like I'm sticking to my metal garage

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 22/5/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Do it yourself... like i am.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

BenB

posted on 22/5/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Wtf! How long does he think it's going to take?
Lay some hard core, some DPM, lay a slab, load of bricks and a roof. Ain't that tricky.

£30k is taking the piss.

Antnicuk

posted on 22/5/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote

I move to my new house on wednesday and will be having a big double garage/ workshop, but not for that sort of money.

I hope i can get it done a lot cheaper than that as i dont have that sort money

It would be interesting to see what sort of materials people are using for the walls and especially the roofs as there are so many options nowadays

Pictures would also be good and anything thats worth while doing during the build, ie a Pit!

[Edited on 22-5-10 by Antnicuk]

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

Gordy

posted on 22/5/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'll do it for £25 grand
franky

posted on 22/5/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
thats over 50% too much!
Mr G

posted on 22/5/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Few people in this thread that apparently do cheap building work

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk

Pictures would also be good and anything thats worth while doing during the build, ie a Pit!

[Edited on 22-5-10 by Antnicuk]

I reckon pits are not a great idea, but a 2 or 4 post lift apparently not a lot of cost difference if you look about, and rather nicer to use. That would be my option.....

Peteff

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I built my concrete block garage myself (my wife helped) for about £800. It's 21'x14' approx and used reclaimed timber, free double glazed windows and Wickes corrugated bitumen sheets for the roof. It took me about 3 months to finish

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

scootz

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Our double garage cost a bit more than that. We were surprised too, but we had a half-dozen or so quotes and they were all about the same!

It's Evolution Baby!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Give these guys a shot at it
http://www.sipsindustries.com/sips/sips.php?page=contact-uk

You can save by throwing your own slab and doing your own finishing.
The upside of this is you will have a warm stable atmosphere in your work shop year round.

These brothers know their stuff and its is up in a day.......watertight in 2

Double sheet the inside of the garage with plasterboard....

Think outside the box of traditional blocks and mortar building.

[Edited on 23-5-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

fazerruss

posted on 23/5/10 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
The price can vary due to alot of reaons.
There can be a big difference in cost depending on how its built and if it includes everything down to garage doors which aint cheap if you want decent quality. While i was outside bricklaying a man walked past offering his services for the doors £1000 per door fitted and i have 2!. Now flat roofs are cheap but crap and will need replacing eventually so if you go for pitched then dont forget roof trusses need to be bespoke to your build which costs. If the roof is done with girder and rafters like mine which gives space for a car lift then the timber needs to be stress graded to meet the building inspectors aproval not some reclaimed from an old shed!This brings me on to planning and building control which costs.
Now if youre like me and want it to be a nice place to work then bear in mind cavity wall insulation.
Ive also gone to great lengths to make sure it compliments and matches the house.
Now nobody has mentioned drainage, Ive just spent nearly £170 on plastics for under the floor which is easy to forget about.
Youre builder has probably gone one the top side to cover any un forseen problems ie underground pipes ect which either need shifting or lintles accross which again costs. Trust me ive got the T shirt!

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

richardR1

posted on 23/5/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I built my own, came to just short of £10k but that was with new everything including UPVC windows and electric security grade roller shutter door. Foundations were 2m deep so had about £4k just to get to slab level. It is 8mx8.5m though. Plenty of room for 4 cars and to work round them all. We would probably charge around £16k to build something similar for a customer assuming the same spec, obviously cheaper if the foundations were only standard 900 deep.

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 23/5/10 by richardR1]

MK Owners Club Member 1015

smart51

posted on 23/5/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've just had a house extension done for £20k. That was on a tricky site, had two walls at an angle to the house, included new drains at the side of the house, included fitting a downstairs bathroom and demolishing the existing extension.

Your garage will not be plastered or painted or insulated or have plumbing. It is an utter rip off.

My builder quoted extra work at £22.50 per hour per person. I'd guess a day's excavation for footings, a day to lay and smooth the slab. 2 days for brickwork, a day and a half for the roof (depending on what type) plus half a day to fit an up and over door, for 2 people. £2,200 for labour plus materials. plus some profit. £4,000 max.

scootz

posted on 23/5/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
£4k for a double garage?

On what planet!?

It's Evolution Baby!

josh

posted on 23/5/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, new to the forum but 10 years as a builder in essex/suffolk. I'd tell the boke who quoted £30k to climb back on his horse and ride off into the sunset!!!!

Assuming a standard double (5.5m x 6.7m) garage, pitched roof, depending on spec £15-£20k(MAX) should easily cover it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardR1

posted on 24/5/10 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
£4k for a double garage?

On what planet!?

Agreed, I know my garage is larger and i had to dig footings deeper but i had a grand to get rid of excavated earth and hire of digger/dumper, nearly 2 grand in concrete plus reinforcing mesh so was at about 4 grand just at slab level. This was at trade prices.
Approx 4000 bricks in mine came to about £1500, £500 for roof trusses, £800 for roofing materials, £450 for windows, fascia and gutters etc, £1100 for roller door and £400 for electrics.

[Edited on 24/5/10 by richardR1]

[Edited on 24/5/10 by richardR1]

MK Owners Club Member 1015

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.