Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UPS that will not switch on - advice required
Agriv8

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
UPS that will not switch on - advice required

about a year ago we upgraded the ups protecting our servers and coms kit.

this released 2 APC RT3000 XLI rack mount version which went onto the disposal pile.

due to the batteries we were awating to dispose through a WEE chanel when we found a use in one of the other offices.

So off the scrap pile they come But I can not switch the little beggers on.

I assume the control panel is run from the batteries as I cant swich it on it wont charge the batteries.

It has been left pluged into the mains for 3 day no joy.

Now the batteries are sealed small 12v ones so thinking that pull some of these out and charge each single battery outside the ups can anyone advise a way / how to ?.

OR anyone with a sneaky way to switch a UPS on that is completley flat ?

thanks

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

vinny1275

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Iain,

The panel will run if the batteries are flat and the mains is on - if the controller's working, the batteries will charge without the panel being switched on.

I've had the batteries in the floor mount ones bulge so much they need quite a bit of leverage to get them out of the case, but also a few where the control unit seems to have failed completely, or intermittently switches off, even if the batteries were in good condition and charging...

just to check - did you take the batteries out to move them, then forget to connect them back up? If not, it sounds like they're scrap....

Cheers

Vince

GreigM

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
are you switching it on correctly - I've seen various configurations - one needed the button to be held down for >15s, another needed the button pressed twice etc...
Agriv8

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Vinney I think I understand that.

If I just had 1 unit but 2 both that the control pannel has failed while in storage seems a little strange.

Tried switching on with no batteries connected - no joy - notheing seems to wake the unit up

Regards

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

dan__wright

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
first thing i would do is brain dead then and try again

make usre unit is plugged in and has a mains supply
hold power off button for 3 secs
remove mains supply
hold off button again for a few seconds, you should hear a lound clunk

re-connect power
hit the on button twice, first will turn the controller on, seconds will turn on the output and put the system online.

do you get any status lights?

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Agriv8

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
thanks Dan will try that.

just re reading the manual that came with the unit and they are shipped with one of the battery 'TRAYS' Disconected with insctruction to connect before power on.

Belive this is to gaurd against the 'Feature ' that I am experiencing (while in are storage ) as we were binning them did not think to disconnect a tray before putting them on the scrap pile.

Thanks and regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 5/10/10 by Agriv8]

dan__wright

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
yeah one of the modules is disconnected during shipping put you can just pop the cover of and reconnect it, even so it should still power on with them disconnected.

i think the smartups are ok but i know symetras destoy the battery's if left connected with no power.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Agriv8

posted on 5/10/10 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again Dan

tried the ...

hold power off button for 3 secs remove mains supply hold off button again for a few seconds, you should hear a lound clunk

no clunk & no lights so maybe the batteries are fubared but the couple i tested were showing a 0.02 volts suppose I have lost nothing to try charging a tray full up ( individually ) and see what happens.

what can I use to charge them ?

Neither of the units do nothing when connected to the main with or with out the batteries connected thus my thought about the control pannel running off the UPS'ed side

thanks once again

dan__wright

posted on 5/10/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
theres an led on the back, is that lit up?

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Agriv8

posted on 5/10/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
dan,

cant see any leds on the back

photo's bellow.

Description
Description

Where should the LED be ?

thanks once again

Agriv8

McLannahan

posted on 5/10/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
My new UPS arrived so dead that it took a good 24 hrs plugged in before it registered the supply. Absolutley fine now with a good standby battery life.

Second one bought at the same time fired straight up (after connecting the batteries on both units obviously) and just didn't need the same charge the first one did.

dan__wright

posted on 5/10/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
im not 100% as the pic is a bit blurry and its looks different to the ones i have of that model but....

there's a switch on the back, has two positions, online and bypass.........

make sure its set to online

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.