Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone here keep or know about chickens?
blakep82

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
anyone here keep or know about chickens?

i had three chickens until last week
2 are about 9 months old, and the one that died was about 3 and a half years old. for about her last month or so, see walked around the garden tail down and sleeping. figured she was old for a hen, and that was that

got two more on thursday, so now got 4. now one of the older two is up the top of the garden, tail down and eyes closed. we got her at 10 weeks old in october, so shes not old, but i don't know whats wrong with her. don't want her to be sick and not know what to do for her.
yesterday she 'laid' an egg with no shell too. they've got all the food they need, chicken pellets and meal. oyster shell grit, bugs, worms, and anything else we can give them

anyone know? vets here don't deal with many hens

[Edited on 30/5/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

norfolkluego

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Luego junior keeps chickens, he's away today but I'll ask him to drop you a line later
thunderace

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
calcium deficient

Just make sure you give them proper food. Best if you buy commercial feed as it comes with additional supplements.

carlknight1982

posted on 30/5/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
PUT oyster shell in with there feed.

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

blakep82

posted on 30/5/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
just spent the last little while powdering the oyster shell (which has been in with their food, but quite big lumps, so they easily missed it) and mixing it with all sorts of other stuff they like. layers pellets and meal, mixed corn, oats and wild bird seed that they seem to love. mixed all that up and put it in their feeder and threw some handfuls of grass in their run. she's standing next to her water thing, drinking loads, she's not really eating anything though. she had a nibble at the grass though. hopefully she'll eat soon, theres loads of oyster shell in there.

i've also mixed them up a load of food like that for the next few days. fingers crossed she'll be back to normal soon.

she did a lot of shouting the day before yesterday as i was cutting down a tree, so all 4 of them were kept in their house 2 days after the little ones arrived, so they weren't best pleased. don't know if she's a little stressed with the new ones, but they were all cuddled up last night, so don't think she's really bothered by them now

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 30/5/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
doing some investigating, seen something about possible blocked crop? they can get it from eating stuff like wood chips and stuff. now i have been cutting down a lot of trees with the chainsaw, so perhaps shes been eating the chip/shavings that came from that?

her crop does feel quite full, and while i don't know what it normally feels like, its kinda like i can actually feel grain and seed in her crop? is that normal?

saw something that said about massaging the crop. don't know exactly how hard to do it, so i gave it a rub and a gentle sort of squeeze and rub, but i don't know if i'm doing it right. will have to go to tesco for shopping, so while i'm there i'll get some vegetable oil for her (apparently this helps?) and as much other stuff as i can think of that she'd like

i don't like this i don't really know how their insides work so its not easy

spiderman

posted on 30/5/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest you change your vet for a start. Chickens can be susceptable to lice and if the feed thing does not work out, it maybe lice infestation (you can,t see them) but a good vet will advise. I live on a farm and the chickens here just find their own grit, oyster shell seems a bit excessive to me, just let them find their own grubs/grit ect and just feed them a little chicken feed (layers pellets) to get them to come in at night. If you want to feed them extra git use the egg shells from the eggs you have used, it's natural and less expensive than oyster shell.

[Edited on 30/5/11 by spiderman]

Spider

karlak

posted on 30/5/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

blakep82

posted on 30/5/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
^ replied thank you

quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
I would suggest you change your vet for a start. Chickens can be susceptable to lice and if the feed thing does not work out, it maybe lice infestation (you can,t see them) but a good vet will advise. I live on a farm and the chickens here just find their own grit, oyster shell seems a bit excessive to me, just let them find their own grubs/grit ect and just feed them a little chicken feed (layers pellets) to get them to come in at night. If you want to feed them extra git use the egg shells from the eggs you have used, it's natural and less expensive than oyster shell.

there is a vet who deal with horses i think, they're a bit further away. found them after the last chicken illness a few years ago. they've got a better emergency system, so we do use them sometimes.

we bought the oyster shell last year, i read somewhere its good to give to them, but never really bothered with it, but its in the shed, so will stick with it just now. the rest of the time they're out and about, so quite ok finding whatever they like to eat.
was going to go out and rub her crop again at half three, looked out the window before writing this, and she's walking in the run, and the tails up for the first time today, so seems alright, but wouldn't surprise me if it went back down again. will go out and see her in a few minutes to have another rub.
also changed her water for a mix of olive oil and water for unblocking the crop, if that is her problem. its quite full, but i've not noticed her eating today, so not too sure. will check her first thing tomorrow and see it ifs any different if it doesn't go down by tonight

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the need for grit.

Quote from the net:-
"A bird swallows small bits of gravel that act as 'teeth' in the gizzard, breaking down hard food such as seeds
and thus helping digestion."

The egg shell thing is also good. Crush them with a rolling pin, the egg shells, not the chickens.

For the grit try doing a spot of road side verge sweeping. The bottom of a hill (country road) is a good spot
as rain washes it down and it collects at the bottom.
A shovel full in the corner of the run should do it.

Cheers,
Paul G

JoelP

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
it always amazes me what animals can get away with. Can you imagine what it would do to you if you tried to eat a load of gravel from the bottom of a hill?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

blakep82

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
we're definitely not short of grit here theres sand all over the garden from various building projects, and open bags, also across the road theres a small dip before the drain, it gathers everything so they do get that in there sometimes too.

i let her back out to the garden earlier so she gets some of the day out there. she was walking around, tail up for a bit, but now perching on the back of a bench with one of the others. neither have their tails up, but they don't really when perching there. don't know if it helps balance. if shes no better tomorrow morning, then a trip to the vet i think

Rod Ends

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Inevitably ...

mcerd1

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I know a vet in maybole that does alot of livestock (mainly large animals i think, but they deal with a bit of everything)
but I guess thats a bit too far away from you

quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Inevitably ...
I prefer this version

Hens
Hens

[Edited on 30/5/2011 by mcerd1]

-

David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I like the name of the Haynes manual author - very appropriate...

blakep82

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I know a vet in maybole that does alot of livestock (mainly large animals i think, but they deal with a bit of everything)

quote:
Inevitably ...
I prefer this version

Hens
Hens

aww i'd like to race chickens

er, anyways, ahem, yeah, maybole's a bit far. just went out for milk, she's in the garden tail up walking about, and pecking away at stuff again, wide awake, so hopefully was just feeling a bit off, or my attempts at massaging her crop in case of bloackage might have helped? will obviously keep an eye on her incase she's trying to pretend to feel better. fingers crossed

Confused but excited.

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

quote:
Inevitably ...
I prefer this version

Hens
Hens

aww i'd like to race chickens

They are not gesigned for track use, I've heard the big 'ens go.

[Edited on 30/5/11 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

steve m

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
They are good with chips
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 6/6/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for chiming in late - not been paying attention.

I'd recommend having getting a copy of the Haynes Manual, it has answered loads of questions for me.

Sounds like you are doing the basics right - problem is with chickens they're quite highly strung, and can suffer with lots of different illnesses.

Get a copy of the manual, it talks you through loads of ailments (common and not so) and at least it will rule out any of the big nasties for you.

We thought ours were suffering terribly with mites - turned out they were just malting massively. Sometimes you can worry to much about the pets! keep an eye on them, and post up some pics.

What breed are they?

Benzine

posted on 6/6/11 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
hope your chickens are 'happy as larry' ASAP m8
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 6/6/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
oops, thought i'd posted on here she seems ok now! yeah shes fine now. not sure what her problem was, but kept her apart from the others, rubbed her crop for her in case of blockage, and gave her all sorts of tasty stuff to eat

i've got 4 now,

i've got tracy, a marran rock
Description
Description

polly-anna, a black rock
Description
Description

becky, a specledy
Description
Description

and susan, a light sussex
Description
Description

becky and susan are only a few weeks old, about 11 weeks i think, so they'll grow into their feathers soon

they're all quite happy now, although tracy's still not laying, but i think it was just with them two turning up, she got a bit stressed with it

[Edited on 6/6/11 by blakep82]

02GF74

posted on 6/6/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

We thought ours were suffering terribly with mites - turned out they were just malting massively. Sometimes you can worry to much about the pets! keep an eye on them, and post up some pics.

Imagine that, beer producing chickens!!!

Perhaps you meant moulting???

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 6/6/11 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote

Imagine that, beer producing chickens!!!

Perhaps you meant moulting???

no, no, malting.

special breed........

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.