Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Slave cylinder?
theduck

posted on 24/4/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Slave cylinder?

I've just confused myself and want to avoid doing the wring thing.

On my kit I have a Sierra master cylinder which has two outlets on the side going to the front brakes. There us another outlet underneath currently with nothing attached, presumably for the rear brakes? However, below the master cylinder is another cylinder which has connected to it the brake pipe to the rear brakes, so would this be a slave cylinder and I need to run a length of brake pipe between master and slave cylinders?

If I have this all correct and the previous owner hasn't got it setup wrong, anyone fancy making a brake pipe up to save me buying the tolls just for this one short length? I will of cause pay you for your time and parts

adithorp

posted on 24/4/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
That doesn't sound right.
You should have either a Single tandem master cylinder (Sierra or similar) linked to both back and front brakes (slave cylinder would be in the rear brake drums) or 2 master cylinders linked to the pedal with a balance bar arrangement with one master feeding the rear and the other to the front.

Have you got any pictures?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

richard

posted on 24/4/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
on my sierra brake master cylinder with servo, the two outlets at the front of the master cyliner do the front brakes these are either side by side or close by to each other so they operate at the same time, the outlet further back towards the bulkhead should do to the rear brakes, on my donar this went via a brake bias valve positioned in the engine bay to adjust the pressure to rear brakes under heavy braking, maybe you are missing that connecting pipe.
Rich.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 24/4/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Will get photos. Glad I asked!
theduck

posted on 25/4/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Master cylinder

And the one in question

theduck

posted on 26/4/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Any ideas??
daviep

posted on 26/4/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
As per richards comments, if there are two ports on front of the MC ( I've indicated where the 2nd port might be with arrow and question marks) the use these 2 ports for the wheels. If there is only one port on the front then use this for both front wheels you will need to use a tee piece to split the line.

Use the port towards the rear of the MC for the rear brakes.

This means each piston in the MC is operating 2 wheels, as it is at the moment you have one piston in the MC operating 1 wheel and the other piston operating 3 wheels.

Whether you use (what I can only guess is) the pressure reducer for the back wheels is up to you, what brakes do you have front and back and what is the MC and reducer from originally?

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

theduck

posted on 26/4/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks daviep!

I will get it changed round. Currently the two lines on the mc are both front and rears aren't connected so will move them round.

The rears aren't connect so I could connect those as indicated in your diagram.

MC and pressure reducer came with the cat, but I believe that the mc is sierra, don't know about the other one. Should just remove it and go straight to mc?

Brakes are currently sierra calumets front and drums rear.

Dingz

posted on 26/4/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Its the Sierra pressure reducing valve, throw it away. Its an inertia thing but also relies on the car diving at the front when you brake.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

theduck

posted on 26/4/12 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks dingz! Hope the rear brake line is long enough now...
nickm

posted on 26/4/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
If that was the original set up i would give everything a good once over, i wouldnt want my brake lines to close to hot exhausts either.
Some local motor factors will run up brake lines with flares and connectors etc for a couple of quid.

Nick M

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.