Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I don't think so!!!!!
40inches

posted on 18/9/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think so!!!!!

When I had finished repairing customers Auto washer, she asked me if I could repair the outside lighting circuit, it kept tripping the main circuit breaker apparently!
I declined
Description
Description
Description
Description

And yes! that is a standard 30amp junction box in the second photo!

computid

posted on 18/9/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Oh good lord that is dreadful!

Who the hell installed that?!!?!

40inches

posted on 18/9/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by computid
Oh good lord that is dreadful!

Who the hell installed that?!!?!

The Husband, bit of a DIY wiz apparently! All the wiring is clipped to the wall, all the way to the bottom of the garden, and rendered over, without any sort of protection.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 18/9/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Chuffin 'Ell!!!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

ashg

posted on 18/9/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
and this is why we now have part p and 17th edition unfortunately it cant stop muppets doing it for themselves but at least it stops them doing it as a job.

[Edited on 18/9/2012 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Agriv8

posted on 18/9/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Shocking,

suprised the installer has not joined the Ranks for the 'Darwin Awards' only by luck i suspect.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/9/12 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
fix the render it will be fine, just wear rubber boots
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 18/9/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Does he do part time electrical work in the Canary Islands? Them guys are the artists of p1$$ poor wiring!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 18/9/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Took me a few looks to figure out the second picture...
vanepico

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone that the IP rating means nothing to should never ever touch electricals!

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

whitestu

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

All the wiring is clipped to the wall, all the way to the bottom of the garden, and rendered over, without any sort of protection.

The guy obviously doesn't know what he is doing but Twin and earth has been used outside for years without protection - in fact I think said in the regs prior to 17th edition that it was OK.

Peteff

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Take the lid off the junction box and fill it with mastic.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

AdrianH

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
This is a bit like my house! I have to say the wiring is not down to me but I find the odd problem left over from the previous do-it-yourself er.

Anything switched on in the garage is tripping the house RCD, sometimes I can get the lights to work sometimes not. I think there is leakage between neutral and earth which is tripping the RCD when a load is switched on in the garage. I have found all junctions, checked all sockets on the circuit looking for anything that would cause it.

The garage is separate from the house. The consumer unit in the downstairs front small wash room. It has 80 Amp breakers RCD type on the mains in. Then there is a 20 Amp breaker feeding a single twin and earth that goes up in the cavity void to the loft, there is goes over the peak of the loft internally and down to the rear side corner in the loft. Then a round rose type connection to another twin and earth that drops down the cavity down the back of the house.

A cable comes out of the brickwork in approx 3/4 inch plastic and goes underground to the garage. Next to this cable is a external mains socket.

Description
Description

The above cable exit from the house had me thinking a bit more. I emptied kitchen cupboards and looked down the back of units to find a junction box, cover anything where the cable from the loft has been joined to the external cable and this external socket and nothing has been found. So I could not decide how the joint has been made. looking closer at the mortar it dawned on me that within the cavity must be a piece of chock block connecting everything up.

The cavity had blown insulation put in a few years ago.

I will have to remove the brick to see what I find internally when the weather stays dry for a few hours.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

vanepico

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Having seen this, the power to our back garage is through a single decomposing mains wire and it still seems fine, now that I think about it though, it is probably time to change it! It was there before my parents moved in so blame the previous people!

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

emwmarine

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have you been taking photos of my house and DIY?

Did a few jobs early on in the marriage which convinced that we need a man in to even put up a curtain rail. Been very very useful tactic.

Nobody has twigged that I can build cars but not do house DIY. It was mentioned once and I mumbled some jargon about different skill sets.

Building a Dax Rush.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ive seen some scary stuff like that in the uk

40inches

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

All the wiring is clipped to the wall, all the way to the bottom of the garden, and rendered over, without any sort of protection.

The guy obviously doesn't know what he is doing but Twin and earth has been used outside for years without protection - in fact I think said in the regs prior to 17th edition that it was OK.

Not really a problem clipping the wire to the surface, it's the covering it with rendering that's the problem.
I fitted a Tumble drier vent to a house a couple of years ago, that had recently been rendered, and cut through the mains supply to the garage on looking round the side of the house, I could see the cable, a gas pipe and the phone cable emerging from beneath the render. The hairs stood up on the back of my neck.

Confused but excited.

posted on 18/9/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
and this is why we now have part p and 17th edition unfortunately it cant stop muppets doing it for themselves but at least it stops them doing it as a job.

[Edited on 18/9/2012 by ashg]

Why does it? Non of the other editions stopped cowboys.

I remember going to a major installation in a night club that had all the connections done with connector block. not a JB in sight. This was on a £300K job, not an outside light! Coucil inspector gave the owners 30 days to rectify (ie; total re-wire) or close.

Another NIC IEC approved contractor, installed 2x 1Kw bass bins with bell wire in a pub in Southport. The subsequent fire was interesting.

The Flintlock in Liverpool burned down because MANWEB's main fuses were over-rated and the meters caught fire. never seen that before. The interesting thing about that was, the fire brigade called out a guy from MANWEB as it was obvious from the burn marks on the wall, that the fire started at the meters. Shortly after he arrived, he disappeared and so did the fuses that he had removed "To make it all safe".

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.