Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone sold a car to America?
DarrenW

posted on 15/4/13 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone sold a car to America?

Ive listed my LandRover in ebay classified's yesterday. Ive had an enquiry from a chap in US. He has offered to pay by paypal, then once cleared arrange a shipper to collect and deliver the car to him. Am i right to be suspicious or is this quite normal?

I guess my main concern is if he gets the car back then recalls the payment. Is paypal safe once i have my money or are there some big dangers to be aware of? If i transferred the money out of paypal to my current account would this make it any safer?Would a bacs transfer to my bank be more secure?

Another issue i can see with Paypal is the fees. Seem rather high, especially if i get stung for the exchange rate fee. I would have to make sure he covered all fees.

Sorry for all the Q's I didnt expect interest from abroad.

minitici

posted on 15/4/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Don't even think about it - you have no protection - it's a scam.
DarrenW

posted on 15/4/13 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I immediately thought that, or at least thought it might be a US Land Rover trader who was looking to sell it on for a fortune, however looking at his ebay profile i cant see any vehicle sale or purchases anywhere.

Defo a bit suspect.

Not Anumber

posted on 15/4/13 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I would only trust them if they get someone to turn up and look it over. Everyone in the US seems to know someone in the UK and because they think this country is tiny and everyone knows the Queen they will think nothing of asking their neighbour's 4th cousin to pop over and view a car thats for sale.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 15/4/13 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
If he wants to pay by bank transfer then do the deal.
If he's a scammer, he'll bork at that because his "prince investor from nigeria" won't have cleared funds and will only want to pay by paypal. Also don't take a credit card payment for it and certainly don't accept a Western Union !!

I reckon a 20ft container to the US (FOB) is going to cost about £1200 and take about 3/4 weeks to get there.

Alternatively if he's genuine, you could have him put the money in ESCROW or pay with a LC if he doesn't want to wire the money over straight away.

Ninehigh

posted on 15/4/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
As soon as I saw the title I thought "Who would want to buy OUR cars?"

Surely they could get a Land Rover for a lot less money and hassle in the US

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/4/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
don't use paypal for this

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/4/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I immediately thought that, or at least thought it might be a US Land Rover trader who was looking to sell it on for a fortune, however looking at his ebay profile i cant see any vehicle sale or purchases anywhere.

Defo a bit suspect.

Land Rovers used to be almost half the cost, new in the states, that they sold for here in the UK. So that's not what he's about.
Definately a bank transfer or don't touch it. Unless he has a friend over here that will come round with cash.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

cps13

posted on 15/4/13 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Common overseas ebay scam. As the shipping normally takes a few weeks, he pays, normally with his money, then waits for you to email him and say the landy has been shipped, it will arrive in three weeks. Goes home, jumps on his PC and cancels the paypal transaction or says to paypal he paid but never recieved his item and low and behold he gets his money back!

Only problem with BACS transfer is that overseas payments take much longer to get picked up as fraudulent, upto 3 months outside the EU and there is nothing you can do to retain the money once found out. I found this out the hard way! Luckily with something worth much much less than a landy!

Could always ask him to pay and wait 3 months

cps13

posted on 15/4/13 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

Defo a bit suspect.

Land Rovers used to be almost half the cost, new in the states, that they sold for here in the UK. So that's not what he's about.

Are you sure?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Defender-County-Station-Wagon-1986-Land-Rover-Defender-110-/321104755130?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac3 55b9ba

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Defender-110-3-door-Hardtop-1990-Land-Rover-Defender-3-dr-Hardtop-UK-MOD-release-2-5L-/190823763304?pt=US_Ca rs_Trucks&hash=item2c6dfb8d68

plentywahalla

posted on 15/4/13 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Paypal 'protection' only applies to the buyer, the seller can be hung out to dry!

I sold a cylinder head, the buyer raised a dispute, and paypal reversed the payment without asking me for any explanation.

The buyer now has my cylinder head, and his money (including carriage), and then leaves me negative feedback!

After 250 successful trades on ebay, I am totally disillusioned.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.