Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: C16xe to c20xe in MK Indy
Peter Cowley

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
C16xe to c20xe in MK Indy

I currently have an MK indy running a C16xe on R1 carbs.....car runs and goes great.

However, I was thinking I could build a redtop over winter and swap over.

The question is does anybody know if these 2 engines use the same mounts, head design etc so I can swap over the carbs/mounts etc onto the new engine ?.

Are the engines the same height, so the exhaust manifold could be used as well.

Not got a great deal of experience with these engines and not sure of the differences !!.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Peter.

dai1983

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
From my days as a boy racer I was led to believe that the c16xe is actually a decent engine. Designed by Lotus that could pump out 150bhp but was detuned so it didn't undermine the bigger engines. It was also branded as an Ecotec engine so not sure how similar it is to the redtop.

I'd consider how much it would cost to upgrade the current engine compared to the price of an engine swap. Also the redtop is mlikely to be heavier but you ultimately get more torque (and 200bhp easier)

loggyboy

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Baby valver is small block, redtop is big block. I believe the bell housing is similar, mounts will be in similar positions but the block is distinctly larger on the redtop, so wont be identical or a straight bolt in swap.

Mistral Motorsport

dai1983

posted on 2/9/13 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like I was wrong and the c16xe is a different engine to the 1.6 Ecotec. Sbd selll throttle bodie kits that take it to 160bhp but a 190bhp kit is over 5 grand!!!

[Edited on 2/9/13 by dai1983]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/9/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I think very little of that will be a straight swap.

I'm taking out my c20xe in a couple months time so keep an eye out for for sale threads for bits as and when I decide I don't need them for new turbo engine.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

loggyboy

posted on 3/9/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dai1983
Looks like I was wrong and the c16xe is a different engine to the 1.6 Ecotec. Sbd selll throttle bodie kits that take it to 160bhp but a 190bhp kit is over 5 grand!!!

I assume you have a 1.6 16v? the earliest 1.6 16v vauxhal was the C16XE, its an ecotec, there was a later X16XE which conformed to newer emmissions regs, also labled ecotec, there was also an X16XEL IIRC. The X16XE had more complex management with imobilsers built in to ECU etc, but if your not running standard managment it would have effected the engine choice.

There was also the c16se which was the small block 8v lump fitted to Nova GSI and some corsas.

The other option is to look for later 1.8 small block engines fitted to corsa C&Ds and i think some vectras.

Mistral Motorsport

Peter Cowley

posted on 3/9/13 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
hmm thanks for taking the time out to reply guys.

it doesn't sound as simple as I would have liked however still do-able.

The motor in it runs sweet, and is nice and revvy. I reckon it produces around 130-140bhp anyway in its current form,.

I was looking for a nice bolt in simple power upgrade without throwing stupid money into it

I will probably leave it as is.

cheers.

Peter.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.