Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Long time lurker looking for advice
The_rams

posted on 3/9/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Long time lurker looking for advice

Hiya guys.

I'm looking for a little advice, I'd like to build myself a kit as I don't have the skills to weld up my own chassis
I've done a fair bit of reading up and understand there are some "customer skills" lacking but I still find myself
drawn towards an MK Indy R.
Many people comment on each specific kit, some prefer the look of the MNR, some prefer,the MK, some the MAC or even the roadrunner.
Me, I like the look of the MK, I understand its very much make your choice and pay your money.

There customer service skills aside, what is the actual product like, again I understand the finished article will only be as good as the job made of putting it together but what's the quality of the components in the kit like, and how does the car perform.

I really don't want this to turn into a slate MK thread, just after some honest opinions on there product.

Thanks.

Brian

ReMan

posted on 3/9/13 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome,
as you have clearly read and considered some of the coments re MK's skills, nevertherless there is a strong and compelling draw towards their product, that is continued to be enjoyed by many
So provided you are happy that the bag (and bill) says Tesco not M+S you won't go far wrong.
To coin your phrase, once the raw ingredients are bought, how you cook it and present it is down to the chefs skill
Do you see what I did there ?

[Edited on 3/9/13 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ianclark1275

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
i think your right to choose MK - its a good car.

ive visited and been in the workshops of Robin hood, MK and MNR

i got on with them all

the MK lads know how to build a car, enjoy it and let the product sell itself IMO....

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

Wheels244

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
If I was to build another 7 from a kit it would be an MK.
ianclark1275

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
what's the quality of the components in the kit like,

i have from MK

Steering column
Floor mounted peadalbox
seatbelt Mounts
steering bush bracket
Panhard rod
scuttle
seats
headlight brackets

all very good quality / laser cut / no problems

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

mookaloid

posted on 4/9/13 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
An important consideration when choosing a kit is the manufacturers location relative to your own.

It's a lot easier if you can get in your car and go and see them when you need some thing. You seem to be close enough to do that so the issues that others have had to do with getting stuff delivered will be easy to overcome by simply doing business face to face.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Wheels244

posted on 4/9/13 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
An important consideration when choosing a kit is the manufacturers location relative to your own.

It's a lot easier if you can get in your car and go and see them when you need some thing. You seem to be close enough to do that so the issues that others have had to do with getting stuff delivered will be easy to overcome by simply doing business face to face.

Marks point is very valid.
You'll more than likely to have to go back and see them to pick stuff up, get stuff corrected etc. I know I did with MNR - a lot.

T66

posted on 4/9/13 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
I rang MK at Maltby a few years ago, was on the M1 and fancied a look. Turned up at short notice, Martin even broke off what he was doing to take me for a blast in the Midi.

Personally I had an MK on my purchase list for quite a while, however have another look at MNR , sure you have done already but they are very clean up close.

Another point, if asked would I build again, my answer would be "no" - I would buy a built car with iva etc and fettle it how I preferred. Will work out much easier on your wallet.

dhutch

posted on 4/9/13 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
When I was considering building a car, MK where very much on the list, that was just about when the R was in existence, but they where still mainly selling the older chassis. MNR also featured. Then I bailed and bought the Westfield which was local and at a price I couldn't refuse.

South Yorkshires within an hour of Derbyshire.

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 4/9/13 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Left the window open half a day and crossed a load of posts there, but yes. Welcome to the forum!
loggyboy

posted on 4/9/13 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Exactly the above!

Mistral Motorsport

jps

posted on 4/9/13 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

exactly my thoughts. I thought about an mk, and visited gbs, but both are a long way from me, hence ended up going for a haynes roadster, if I'm going to have to be self sufficient I may as well go the whole hog. also I have friendly skilled welders I can call on if needs be.

The_rams

posted on 4/9/13 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

So the general opinion is the car itself is good?

Thats encouraging.

Not Anumber

posted on 4/9/13 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
The Indy is a good product and from all accounts the Indy R is even better.

MK are quite expensive these days though compared to others and there may be some reliance on their exposure helping to justify that.
If I were building from scratch I would go for a pre welded Haynes chassis which is very close to the original Indy and spend the money saved on the rest of the build. Martin Keenan designed both chassis and Ive heard it said the Haynes is really a close redesign of the same but one that could be built without the need for an industrial tube bender that was needed to form the transmission tunnel members and a couple of other sections on the Indy.

gaz_gaz

posted on 4/9/13 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
I myself have never had the issues a few/lot of people have had with the MK boys and tbh I would really like to build myself an MK.
I have a really close look at there cars at a trackday and liked the look of them,

Slightly off topic but does anyone know roughly what you should be budgeting to build a nice Indy R with full cage, modern engine ie 2008+ zx10r, gsxr, cbr1000rr and the usual wilwood a, LSD, etc etc?

brookie

posted on 4/9/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I must say T66 had a good point

Another point, if asked would I build again, my answer would be "no" - I would buy a built car with iva etc and fettle it how I preferred. Will work out much easier on your wallet.

andy1303

posted on 4/9/13 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an Indy already built, but only did that because I knew I didn't have the time to build one, which is what I really wanted. I also kept going back to the Indy over any other car.
I'm sure you've already read about the self-centering issues, I'm not sure if they exist on the the Indy-R, but the builder of my car bought and installed some of Wozza's (??) upper wishbones and it self-centres okay. People also tend to have issues around the rear panel, which MK should really change the moulds for, since the profile on the top differs to the side panels.
I've found MK to be good in the few times I've dealt with them, but would concur that if you're worried about issues with a manufacturer a visit to their factory can be productive, especially if you have a problem.
In terms of overall impression of the car, when I describe it to people who don't know about kits, I describe it as the top end of the bottom end of the market. There's plenty of worse cars for similar cost out there and as someone who believes themself to be a reasonable driver, I know my non-R is better than me. Spend the time building an Indy to a good standard with a decent spec and you will not regret it. It's a blast.

jase380

posted on 4/9/13 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Brian, you're pretty local to MAC and Mk and not that far from MNR, I would go and see all three. Make your mind up when you've met them all and got a feel for the cars and how they operate. I had an Mk and always found them helpfull, but as others have said if you live local ( as i do ) it helps.
Jase

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.