Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec - help identifying noise
se7ensport

posted on 6/9/13 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec - help identifying noise

Took the car to work today, and from first start up there was a terrible screeching noise.

Initially I thought it might have been the drive belt as I had washed it the night before with zip wax and there was a chance some would have gone on to the engine.

However, it appears to be coming from the bell housing, my initial though is spigot bearing, but it has only done 600miles and the one fitted is supposed to be heavy duty, anyone familiar with the noise that can confirm?...

loggyboy

posted on 6/9/13 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Does it go/change if you dip the clutch? If so the release bearing would be prime suspect!

Mistral Motorsport

se7ensport

posted on 7/9/13 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Does it go/change if you dip the clutch? If so the release bearing would be prime suspect!

The slightest weight on the clutch pedal and it stops.

I'm pretty confident I can get the bell housing back far enough to apply some grease to it, can the bearing be re-greased or is it engine out and fit a new one?

Thanks
Alex

mark chandler

posted on 7/9/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Spigot bearing is the one in the end of the crank.

Touch the clutch, you now push the release bearing into the clutch and the bearing takes load, so it could be making the noise because the release bearing is just touching the cover plate, if it has a cable clutch loosen the cable a touch to provide a touch more slack. If hydraulic then shortern the push rod a touch in the master cylinder.

Regards Mark

MikeRJ

posted on 7/9/13 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Spigot bearing is the one in the end of the crank.

Touch the clutch, you now push the release bearing into the clutch and the bearing takes load, so it could be making the noise because the release bearing is just touching the cover plate,

The release bearing is always lightly touching the fingers in most installations. It does sound like a duff release bearing to me, and they are not usually very easy to dismantle and re-grease.

Dusty

posted on 7/9/13 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
It does sound like a bearing, not clutch release, but one at the front end, an idler perhaps. Can you run the engine for a few seconds with the belt off at the front? That would eliminate waterpump, alternator, idlers and anything else that end.
Pity it stops if you press the clutch pedal!

[Edited on 7/9/13 by Dusty]

black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 8/9/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I does sound like the release bearing, engine and box out time, it is'nt as hard as it looks, the secret is to use a good engine crane. While they are out, you must check the gearbox mounting rubber.
se7ensport

posted on 9/9/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks, got the car on axle stands with the engine running this evening. The noise happens when the release bearing is just touching the pressure plate fingers and rotating at a slower speed; I have increased the clearance between them by 1-2mm I have applied a small amount of copper grease to the front of the bearing and in the side of it using a bit of plastic and the noise seems to have stopped, test drive to work tomorrow will tell all...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.