Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nail glue in tumbler lock - any ideas?
ChrisW

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nail glue in tumbler lock - any ideas?

Hi all

Background: a mate of mine has an office with car park in the local town conveniently placed for the local night life, not that there is much of it. He's been having issues recently with people parking there for extended periods taking up his spaces, causing issues late in the evening, so has been keeping the gate padlocked overnight.

Now it seems a local chav has taken a dislike to their free parking being taken away and has put what we think is nail glue in the tumbler lock on the gate to prevent it being locked.

I took some carb cleaner down there for him hoping that would dissolve it but no luck. In the end I dismantled the lock and have left the cylinder soaking in some celly thinners for a few hours in the hope that might do the trick. It doesn't seem to be working though.

Yes he could just change the cylinder but there are about a dozen people who will then need keys cut and of course it's likely to happen again so it's going to get expensive very quickly.

Does anybody have any top tips for dissolving nail glue in a scenario like this?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Acetone? Nail varnish remover?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

ChrisW

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Acetone? Nail varnish remover?

Yeah, I thought of that. Just an issue buying (decent strength) acetone 'over the counter' I believe. Might have to eBay some.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Heat?

Mistral Motorsport

mookaloid

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't acetone the kind of thing that fibreglass/resin suppliers will sell?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

ChrisW

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Isn't acetone the kind of thing that fibreglass/resin suppliers will sell?

Quite possibly, according to Google. None around this way though.

My gaff my rules

brum_gustavo

posted on 5/8/14 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Polyester resin solvent is acetone, and it will dissolve almost anything. They don´t call it acetone anymore because acetone is used for making cocaine, in Brazil it has been banned so fiberglass dellers changed its name to continue selling it. If it can dissolve polyester resin it will do short work of any resin or glue short of epoxy.

Build diary: http://gustavobrum.wordpress.com/

woodstock

posted on 5/8/14 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
You can supposedly get it from Amazon easilly -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100%25-PURE-ACETONE-POLISH-REMOVER/dp/B006ISF9PO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1407228856&sr=8-4&keywords=100%25+ace tone

I presume, acetone is acetone, regardless of it's intended use. Just remember though:"Wipe down the nail away from the cuticle for polish removal."

Dave Ashurst

posted on 5/8/14 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I think Henkel make "No More Nails" for Unibond (http://www.henkel.co.uk/adhesive-technologies-95.htm)

Perhaps they might help?

D

pewe

posted on 5/8/14 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Long term solution would be to hire some help to watch the gates until the chavs turn up to apply more glue and explain to them they shouldn't be doing that.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

gremlin1234

posted on 5/8/14 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
superglue remover may help

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-3g-Liquid-Glue-Remover/dp/B000WJ1FOO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1407231379&sr=8-6&keywords=super+glue+remover

cryoman1965

posted on 5/8/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
You could leave the gate unlocked with warning signs saying it is private property and the gates will be locked anytime between xxxxhr and opened at xxxxhr. If the persist in parking lock the gate mid evening with heavy duty chain. It may take a few visits but not having a car to get home will focus the mind.

nick205

posted on 5/8/14 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Burn it out with a blow torch then re-lubricate the lock.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh I suspect as soon as you clear it the culprit will just find a more permanent method
nick205

posted on 5/8/14 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Leave the gate open at night, let them park up and then lock them in.

ChrisW

posted on 5/8/14 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cryoman1965
You could leave the gate unlocked with warning signs saying it is private property and the gates will be locked anytime between xxxxhr and opened at xxxxhr. If the persist in parking lock the gate mid evening with heavy duty chain. It may take a few visits but not having a car to get home will focus the mind.

That's basically what he has been doing. The main culprits seems to be staff from a local chain restaurant parking up around 5.30-6 for their shifts, coming back at midnight or so. He thought locking their cars in a couple of times might deter them, but seems they were determined they were going to park there.

My gaff my rules

loggyboy

posted on 5/8/14 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Keyless padlock?

MAGNETIC PADLOCK. EASY TO USE FOR YOUNG AND OLD. NO KEYWAY. MAGNETIC KEY FOB.

Mistral Motorsport

ChrisW

posted on 5/8/14 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
If it was a padlock it would be easy. They are hardly going to glue it when it's locked, and when it's open the padlock can be taken away.

My gaff my rules

loggyboy

posted on 5/8/14 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
But you said that he is using a padlock? I assumed a padlock with a standard tumbler lock.

Mistral Motorsport

jacko

posted on 5/8/14 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel clamp and big warning signs. its £100 to park on this land per night
deezee

posted on 5/8/14 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy expanding foam remover from Screwfix. This is acetone. Infact they sell it at loads of DIY shops.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-foam-gun-cleaner-500ml/60133

steve m

posted on 5/8/14 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
How about waiting for the scroats to park in there, with warning signs advising the gates will be locked at a certain time
and any cars left in the park will be locked in overnight,

And at the destignated time lock the scroats in!!

I doubt they will fill the lock up with super glue then, but it would be funny if it "happened" and there cars were left in until after the weekend

also have a metal box made that covers the lock assembly so that the padlock can only be undone from the bottom, thus meaning no superglue can be entered into the lock

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ChrisW

posted on 5/8/14 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
How about waiting for the scroats to park in there, with warning signs advising the gates will be locked at a certain time
and any cars left in the park will be locked in overnight,

And at the destignated time lock the scroats in!!

I doubt they will fill the lock up with super glue then, but it would be funny if it "happened" and there cars were left in until after the weekend

also have a metal box made that covers the lock assembly so that the padlock can only be undone from the bottom, thus meaning no superglue can be entered into the lock

Steve

That's the problem, Steve. That's more or less what he did. This glue is to prevent him doing it again.

My gaff my rules

r1_pete

posted on 5/8/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Park a forklift in there with a sign saying any unauthorized vehicles will be removed.

Coming back to a 4 high stack of cars would deter.

A few years ago a mate who lived near a school did similar to prevent folk parking across his drive.

austin man

posted on 5/8/14 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
put a shroud over the padlock macking it impossible to be able to pour the glue in. this can only be poured in if the lock is at the top glue wont run uphill

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.