Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mobile scam
garyt

posted on 16/11/14 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
mobile scam

right just got my mobile bill and its £15 over (I got off light) its a scam not sure how they get the numbers but you receive "junk" text messages 3 at a time, deleted them and forgot about them then got the bill today, number shows up as 60699 and YOU are charged each time they send it after some searching its a company called ZAMANO, if you get hit with this call 08455281266 then option 1 to stop it..
just check your bills as soon as you get them or if you get 3 text messages together check it out
gary

mark chandler

posted on 16/11/14 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
How do you get charged for recieving a text, did you respond at all?
Slimy38

posted on 16/11/14 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
How do you get charged for recieving a text, did you respond at all?

Basically someone has 'signed up' for the service on Gary's behalf, I think they call them 'information texts' or something. You can get all sorts of stuff, but most importantly they can all charge YOU for receiving the texts.

mark chandler

posted on 16/11/14 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, okay so like when you request a HPI check on your phone, except you have not requested the service .... Nasty
snapper

posted on 17/11/14 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
It appears Zamano has been doing this since at least 2008
Fined in 2008 & 2012

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 17/11/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
The abuse of phone, sms and email by spammers, scammers and scum is getting to a level where the usefulness of these to people is being badly affected.
I no longer trust giving out my mobile number to parcel delivery companies, price compression sites and even Argos and the like because I am convinced the number gets sold on and keep my previous phone with a PAYG sim which I use only when I am expecting delivery.
My android mobile has the "Mr Number" app running which acts as firewall against both voice and sms junk, the land line has a "Call Angel" call blocker on it which must be the best £25 I have spent in the last year.

Another phone scam to look out for is low end debt collectors who buy up skip loads of unenforceable time barred debt and them proceed to pick on anybody with a vaguely similar name living in the same area and proceed to pester them via phone and text them repeated often daily for 6 months or more, after a year or so they will restart They will also pester current occupants and landlords for debt incurred by occupants who moved out sometimes ten or more years ago. On the Web on sites such as Money Saving Expert you will find reports of them issuing official looking enforcement letters that threaten immediate court action or home visits, these letters of course have no validity and are purely intended to frighten the target. As a result vulnerable and older people have bullied into paying debts that were nothing whatsoever to do with them. If you do get calls from one of these companies do no enter into a phone or txt dialogue with them. Even if you have your wits about you and are a 100% sure you don't owe anyone any money don't repond to these and don't confirm your identity.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/11/14 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
^ surely harassment, fraud or blackmail apply to the above and the police should be contacted
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 17/11/14 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Problem is the police don't normally do anything, my brother had a similar problem and the police just told him to ignore them.

On the subject of mobile scams my mate got caught by one the other month were someone will ring and hang up before you can answer, if you ring the number it answers instantly but plays the sound of ringing and it charges a premium rate.

I've noticed since getting a contract phone I get loads of junk calls that I never got on PAYG.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/11/14 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Gary, yet another heads up on more criminality.

I've posted on a similar issue on here earlier, and had a few helpful replies about call blockers on the landline. The landline has essentially become rendered useless, I only need the line for broadband. I have no option but the BT monopoly.

The 0333 440XXX (where XXX is a huge stockpile), take up ALL the memory on the new blocker phone, so I'm looking for something with an infinite memory for such rubbish. This lot are the Microsoft Support criminals that call you, get you to allow them access to your PC and then drain your credit card.

Coupled with the PPI, Insurance, Debt, Charities, Various 'Banks', etc., etc., all sorts of criminal scum, let alone the constant 'Withheld'.

The phone gets pulled out frequently.

What's my ideal answer......

A blocker that automatically rejects anything 'withheld' or 'unavailable'. No message allowance, no log, no ring, just sits there and stops the crap.
Would be great to have the phone controlled by my IRIX system, through a shell script.

britishtrident

posted on 17/11/14 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Problem is the police don't normally do anything, my brother had a similar problem and the police just told him to ignore them.

On the subject of mobile scams my mate got caught by one the other month were someone will ring and hang up before you can answer, if you ring the number it answers instantly but plays the sound of ringing and it charges a premium rate.

I've noticed since getting a contract phone I get loads of junk calls that I never got on PAYG.

EE/Orange leaked my mobile number withinn hours of going pay monthly one of the reasons I will be leaving them, Orange were great EE are awful.

BT also leak private numbers back in 2007 when ADSL broadband got a speed hike, we had so many broadband speed problems we put in a second ex-directory line for data only. This number was never given out as from day one it was only used for a 2nd broadband connection, but within a month or so messages were appearing on the 1571 service. Somebody in BT had passed the number to a debt collection agency who were pursuing a 7 year old non-existent debt with Scottish Hydro. Luckily my wife keeps immaculate accounts and after 7 years we still had the cleared cheque even so it took about 3 months before we extracted appology letters from both concerns. The amazing thing is they managed to find the ex-directory number but the number for the other line was in the phone book all the time.

[Edited on 17/11/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.