Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brexit
JoelP

posted on 29/3/19 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
that reminds me of novelist will self in that awful stare off with the government MP. self stated that not everyone who voted for brexit was racist, but that everyone who was racist voted for brexit.

I can't see any reason why a racist or xenophobe would vote to Remain in the EU, and certainly none of the numerous racist groups on Facebook are campaigning to Remain.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

SJ

posted on 29/3/19 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by swanny
that reminds me of novelist will self in that awful stare off with the government MP. self stated that not everyone who voted for brexit was racist, but that everyone who was racist voted for brexit.

I can't see any reason why a racist or xenophobe would vote to Remain in the EU, and certainly none of the numerous racist groups on Facebook are campaigning to Remain.

Problem it the term has been misused to shut down debate which allows both those who are racist to more easily deny it and makes it harder for those who have wider concerns to express them.

Shame really.

SJ

posted on 29/3/19 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

I don't think it was some people, I think it was just about everyone... those who didn't want to admit that was the case spouted some EU directive about fishing, wonky banana's... blah blah but it was nothing more than keep the foreigners out. Yeah I have a low opinion on peoples motives but that's what people are like.

Maybe where you live. I don't see that here.

Do you live outside the UK...?

No, I don't. Seems to me UK is one of the more tolerant places to live. Certainly the South East of England anyway. Haven't lived anywhere else for some time to hard to say for other areas.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/19 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have heard comments from people, at work, friends & even family members that would curl your toes. I even worked for the local bus company for 4 years and when they had a lot of Polish driver taking the overtime, swastikas were left on walls and windows...I kid you not

I voted to remain in the EU. After the disastrous events of the last century. To have previous bitter enemy's now working together for the benefits of all was such an achievement. There's no question the were still issues to resolve but I think brexit is a huge set back. As for immigration I think the focus should have been on dealing with the reasons (long ago) which made people want to emigrate in the first place and the EU helping those countries improve so people want to stay.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodster

posted on 3/4/19 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I’ll be honest I voted leave as a protest vote .. I realised early on in the brexit vote that both sides were lying and treating the general voting public with total contempt which I guess they always have ... the government and MPs have become so detached from the public, fiddling their expenses and quiet happily serving their own interests only begrudgingly engaging with the great unwashed when they needed the vote .... any way I voted leave to kick Cameron in the nutsack and to hopefully show these knob Ed’s for what they are ... not worth a W”nk and they’ve proved that in spades ..... all I’ve ever done in over 40years of working hard is to pay for these idiots and con men ..... F&CK EM!!!
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/4/19 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
I’ll be honest I voted leave as a protest vote .. I realised early on in the brexit vote that both sides were lying and treating the general voting public with total contempt which I guess they always have ... the government and MPs have become so detached from the public, fiddling their expenses and quiet happily serving their own interests only begrudgingly engaging with the great unwashed when they needed the vote .... any way I voted leave to kick Cameron in the nutsack and to hopefully show these knob Ed’s for what they are ... not worth a W”nk and they’ve proved that in spades ..... all I’ve ever done in over 40years of working hard is to pay for these idiots and con men ..... F&CK EM!!!

Thing is, your vote to leave the EU would not solve any of the above.

The vote was actually about leaving the EU, if this meant the people of the UK would be politically and economically better off than staying a part of that union. The repercussions of that vote will affect future generations for decades. It was not about trying to teach UK politicians a ineffective lesson.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 4/4/19 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Whether we stay or leave, I cant stand all this bickering with those idiots in Westminster, why cant they just get on with the job that was decided two years ago, and get us out

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

WallerZero

posted on 4/4/19 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Whether we stay or leave, I cant stand all this bickering with those idiots in Westminster, why cant they just get on with the job that was decided two years ago, and get us out

Lets say Locost Builders did a poll that asked if we all wanted to build a car together or not to build a car. Thats all we were asked. Build a car won.

So where do we start? What are we basing it on? Racecar? SUV? Track or Road? What engine? Gearbox? FWD? RWD? AWD? What tyres? Brakes? You see where I'm going with this? We agreed to do something without a plan. But why can't we just get on a build a car? Its what we wanted, right? We voted to build a car!

Thats my analogy of Brexit. So many people had a different vision yet had no valid plan. Even with a basic plan, it relied on the EU agreeing to that. The deal by T.May pleases no one. It "removes" us from the EU but retains close ties with them so keeps remain camp happy. Best of both worlds or worst of each? Reality is its not enough for leavers and for remainers it seems pointless. Nobody wins.

Lets not forget though, this is all just for how we leave the EU, not a binding future relationship, that comes next. The EU could work towards a Free Trade Agreement and simply put the 4 freedoms back on the table..... Imagine if the only way to achieve a FTA was to accept free movement of people again...........

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

coyoteboy

posted on 4/4/19 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure we'll be fine in the long run.
I don't think we'll be any better off, probably worse, and in the short term we'll have suffered a lot.

I know very few people who voted to leave that have done so on any sensible justification (or can even articulate their justification properly), most that I speak to have completely mis-informed understanding of how the entire system works and what benefits we take from the EU, they only see the negatives.

Let's hope we do manage to pull it back together because it's largely the older generation who voted for this, largely on the back of some daft view that we were great before (jesus, trump-mania invades the UK) and ignoring the financial and stability damage it will do for those who will live here after they're gone.

SJ

posted on 4/4/19 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I don't think we'll be any better off, probably worse, and in the short term we'll have suffered a lot.

I know very few people who voted to leave that have done so on any sensible justification (or can even articulate their justification properly), most that I speak to have completely mis-informed understanding of how the entire system works and what benefits we take from the EU, they only see the negatives.

Let's hope we do manage to pull it back together because it's largely the older generation who voted for this, largely on the back of some daft view that we were great before (jesus, trump-mania invades the UK) and ignoring the financial and stability damage it will do for those who will live here after they're gone.

I agree it probably won't make much difference in the long run. The point about why people voted one way or another apples to remain as well though. Remaining is presented as a steady state option but in reality it isn't. Continued membership will come with pressure for ever closer integration including adoption of the Euro which parliament has usually embraced. Not saying this would necessarily be a bad thing but there are very few politicians standing up and telling the truth on what ongoing membership means.

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/4/19 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
It will all be sorted if we build a big wall
Theshed

posted on 4/4/19 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
The Romans did that...
mark chandler

posted on 4/4/19 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

I voted leave, if asked again I would vote leave again and I know exactly why I voted that this way thank you.

It's about time people showed more faith in the capability of this country.

James

posted on 4/4/19 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Before the vote our CEO warned of the effects of leaving on our company of 600 employees.

3 years later...
We've held out as long as we could but with uncertainty causing customers to cancel orders we'd spent millions bidding on and also ESA (50% of our business) only giving work to companies in EU countries (so they've sensibly advised us not to risk bidding on further work as we'd spend millions on bidding) we're now doing redundancies...

Contractors and 20% of staff went last September and this month we're losing another 20% so by May we're down to about 300. That's 300 above averagely paid people no longer paying tax into our economy.

As for the redundant staff themselves... Does nostalgia for the 70's put food into children's bellies or pay the mortgage?

When I hear: "yeah, it may be tough in the short term but it'll be better in the long-term" from Leavers (based on what crystal ball I don't know) I'm not sure that'll put cornflakes on the table in time for the kids breakfast!

Seeya down the dole queue!

[Edited on 4/4/19 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 4/4/19 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

A relative of mine said she voted Leave because the Germans locked her Father up in POW camp.

Well you sure gave the 1940's Nazis one in the eye with your 2016 vote!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mark chandler

posted on 5/4/19 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's the uncertainty that is killing things, looks like another year of that now.
SJ

posted on 6/4/19 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I think they will be a lot more uncertainty to come - we are bound to have either a GE or third referendum pretty soon, not that I can see either resolving anything.

[Edited on 6/4/19 by SJ]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 6/4/19 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WallerZero
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

Lets say Locost Builders did a poll that asked if we all wanted to build a car together or not to build a car. Thats all we were asked. Build a car won.

So where do we start? What are we basing it on? Racecar? SUV? Track or Road? What engine? Gearbox? FWD? RWD? AWD? What tyres? Brakes? You see where I'm going with this? We agreed to do something without a plan. But why can't we just get on a build a car? Its what we wanted, right? We voted to build a car!

Thats my analogy of Brexit. So many people had a different vision yet had no valid plan. Even with a basic plan, it relied on the EU agreeing to that. The deal by T.May pleases no one. It "removes" us from the EU but retains close ties with them so keeps remain camp happy. Best of both worlds or worst of each? Reality is its not enough for leavers and for remainers it seems pointless. Nobody wins.

Lets not forget though, this is all just for how we leave the EU, not a binding future relationship, that comes next. The EU could work towards a Free Trade Agreement and simply put the 4 freedoms back on the table..... Imagine if the only way to achieve a FTA was to accept free movement of people again...........

You missed a key point, we already have a car. It works. It's not perfect but you can rely on it.

SJ

posted on 6/4/19 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Why does brexit bring out the analogy in people?
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/19 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Politics

This why so many people would like a one way trip to Mars...

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.