Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plumbing q. How to extend hose to a tap
02GF74

posted on 2/11/17 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Plumbing q. How to extend hose to a tap

Tiling a bathroom and fitted flexible hoses with valves resulted in the hoses not reaching the taps fitted to the sink. (possibly due to slightly shorter hoses and sink further away from wall due to the tiles).

I need to make a small extension, maybe 5cm, to bridge the gap. (I cannot extend the copper pipe)

Is such a thing available off the shelf or else connectors, female 1/2 bespoke with seal and male to the hose that can be fitted to a length of copper pipe.

gremlin1234

posted on 2/11/17 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
would these work
http://www.intatec.co.uk/products/wall-extensions

loggyboy

posted on 2/11/17 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
By another pair of flexis and a 2 inch length of copper between the 2.

Mistral Motorsport

daviep

posted on 2/11/17 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Why can you not extend the copper using push fits?

How long are the flexi's that you currently have?

Regards
David

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

nick205

posted on 2/11/17 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
By another pair of flexis and a 2 inch length of copper between the 2.

Pretty sure that would be my way out. IIRC you can buy flexi-pipes in various length so get the shortest you can and perhaps clip them to something to stop them flipping about.

wood85

posted on 2/11/17 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-DN15-Brass-Internal-Polygonal-Messing/dp/B019FZD6SI/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1509643236&sr=8-42&keywords =tap%2Bextension&th=1

Something like this meets the original description.

Difficult to understand what the possibilities are without a picture - you might be able to add a small copper section with fittings?

macc man

posted on 2/11/17 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Could you use an isolating valve to give the extra length. I always fit them as good practice for easy shut off.
spudkey

posted on 2/11/17 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
You need to 2 no 1/2 x 15mm compression tap connectors, 2 no. 1/2 x 15mm compression male copper to irons , join these with the required length of copper

These go on the taps
https://www.screwfix.com/p/p903sf-1-straight-tap-connector-15mm-x-/58294?tc=DT4&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Om9-Lmg1wIVXi0ZCh0f1g1cEAQYAi ABEgI4NPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPKRyPy5oNcCFUqi7Qod-4QE-A

These go on the end of the flexis
https://www.screwfix.com/p/male-coupler-15mm-x-mm/69358?tc=DT4&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5MKTvbqg1wIVAs-yCh30ogUxEAQYASABEgLWnfD_BwE& ;gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPvpsMG6oNcCFQOg7QodVBcIxg

[Edited on 2/11/17 by spudkey]

02GF74

posted on 2/11/17 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all suggestions.

I do not want to remove the flexibility hoses as there is no way to turn off the water supply, stop cock handles do not turn.

Been in wickes during lunchtime and the tap adapter parts, as above post, have to be the way to go.

geoff shep

posted on 2/11/17 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a water meter? If so, there should be a tap there to isolate the supply there, but you could really do with getting the stop cock sorted out - it might be the only emergency way of turning off the water in the event of a burst or leak later on.
nick205

posted on 3/11/17 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
Do you have a water meter? If so, there should be a tap there to isolate the supply there, but you could really do with getting the stop cock sorted out - it might be the only emergency way of turning off the water in the event of a burst or leak later on.

Yup - make sure you have an accessible way of shutting off the water supply!

When faced with a none turning stop-cock in the past I've shut it done using the suggested water meter. Then cut the pipe just after the stop-cock and fitted another working stop-cock. Nothing worse than a burst pipe in the house and no ability to shut off the water supply.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/11/17 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Thanks for all suggestions.

I do not want to remove the flexibility hoses as there is no way to turn off the water supply, stop cock handles do not turn.

Been in wickes during lunchtime and the tap adapter parts, as above post, have to be the way to go.

Given that the stop cock is broken (you really need to replace that) and you can't isolate the taps I think this would be a good time to fit those valves... If the tap washer gave way you could end up with water everywhere and not able to stop it

You can freeze the pipe (kits at wickes / B&Q etc) only takes a few seconds to fit the valve anyway.

When I go on holiday I always turn off the main supply to the house in case a tap or washing machine valve etc blows and tries to flood the house.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.