Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: G4 Challenge LandRover
paulbeyer

posted on 21/1/05 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
G4 Challenge LandRover

A dealer is selling the G4 challenge landrover discovery at a knock down price It seems to be a bargain until you read the small print. These 2003 vehicles are not permitted for use on UK or European roads and as such are not registered. Land Rover will not provide any information on these vehicles to assist in registering them in the UK as they dont want them on the roads for some reason. They are V8 powered but do not have a cat or emissions equipment installed.
If someone bought one of these vehicles and tried to get it SVA'd what do you think their chances would be? If you cannot prove the age of the vehicle would you be able to Q plate it and legally register it on the road? The dealer reckons it can't be done and if it could he could double the asking price. I'm not looking to do this myself but a friend of mine would be seriously interested.
What do you think?

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

scoobyis2cool

posted on 21/1/05 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
My main concern would be the emissions regulations. Having said that, the SVA regulations must be more lenient than they are to get a vehicle type-tested. you may be able to bolt on a cat and away you go. Sounds like your mate could be onto a winner, but I'd look very carefully at the legal side before parting with any hard earned!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulbeyer

posted on 22/1/05 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, there must be a catch or you could be looking at a £20 grand profit here.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/1/05 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
Is SVA only for cars with less than a certain number produced? Maybe because they will have built quite a few of these Land Rovers (I presume), they would need to go to type approval to get them approved for the road. Not really sure how it works. £20k profit would be nice though!

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/1/05 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge
The big problem is that the manufacturer has/is disowned them. No backup= no knowledge= not a Landrover. Your problem if it breaks.

Just because Land Rover won't provide help with getting them on the road doesn't mean they've disowned them. They are evidently still selling them for offroad use through their authorised dealers and as such should provide spare parts for them.

Pete

Peteff

posted on 22/1/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
According to this page

http://www.autoweb.lycos.com/content/research/reviews/index.cfm/action/DisplayPro/aid/138747/Make_vch/Land%20Rover/Model_vch/Discovery/Year_si/2004 /> The G4 Discovery has the same powertrain as the regular Discovery, with a 4.6-liter, 217 horsepower V8, five-speed automatic, self-leveling suspension and dual sunroofs. Painted in Tangiers Orange, the roof rail is an all-new, large-diameter design dubbed the "Aero."
Only 200 of the limited edition Discoverys will be available starting in the 4th quarter of 2003, at a price of $39,995, which includes destination and delivery.
They must have some they couldn't get rid of. I reckon once you buy it it's yours to do what you want with, but you might end up spending most of your projected profit getting it on the road.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

fastenuff

posted on 22/1/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
working link still long

Ingmar

andybod

posted on 23/1/05 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
typical landrover still trying to off load old shite

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.