Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The good and the bad from this Covid 19
steve m

posted on 14/4/20 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
The good and the bad from this Covid 19

Hi all

Perhaps we can post some good and bad from the current situation we are in,

I will start with bad news, One direction are thinking on reforming ! so a poo band, doing covers thinks this is the time and place to announce a reform, omg, these pondlifes out there do not get it,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52283104

Now, this incredible 99 yr old veteran is doing something, that must be incredibly hard to do, yet he does
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52278746

next ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

SJ

posted on 15/4/20 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
I quite liked this story - not sure why, but it made me smile!:
Goats

posted on 15/4/20 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
The price of heating oil has plummeted. I've a 1000L on order.

Never bought oil this cheap before. Tempted to make a second tank, if I could get hold of the sheet.

Lets hope I live to use it.

Paul G

coyoteboy

posted on 15/4/20 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
If you go out for your allowed exercise in the (seemingly more frequent) sun, you can for the first time since ~mid 90s:

Smell nature - the individual plants as you ride past them.
Hear the birds, as the din of cars has abated.
Walk along a beach without crowds of folk around you.
Look down and not see piles of litter blowing about your feet.

Though there's plenty of people dying and the threat of death to several family members so you can't share any of the above with them.

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/4/20 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
On a personal note, I have been spending much more time phoning friends, probably spend an hour a day talking.
I guess having the chance to as not much work, and an excuse to down tools from whatever I am doing at home is welcome. Seems to be no rush to finish anything.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/20 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Now having a huge number of redundancies starting in Aberdeen, those who have been furloughed are obviously being singled out. I can see Aberdeen being devastated from this.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 15/4/20 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Now having a huge number of redundancies starting in Aberdeen, those who have been furloughed are obviously being singled out. I can see Aberdeen being devastated from this.

That's interesting, that's the opposite from what I hear from friends up there who seem to think it's all pretty robust just now due to the longer term planning of projects.

SJ

posted on 15/4/20 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That'll have a big impact on people's tolerance of the lock-down. I fear at some point the government will have to give up whatever the outcome. Hopefully they will be able to do it in a controlled manner.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/20 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

That's interesting, that's the opposite from what I hear from friends up there who seem to think it's all pretty robust just now due to the longer term planning of projects.

they may be telling you something different shortly... oh and I'm a planner so see exactly what's happened to the projects

On Hold, move to 2021, Cancelled etc etc

[Edited on 15/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 15/4/20 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
The economic impact on the world concerns me, I see higher unemployment coming and harder financial times for many people. Could take some time for things to recover.

I see many companies that survive looking at how they and their employees work in future. I've worked in sales for many years and done a fair amount of travel with it. More and more of it can be done online, at lower cost and environmental impact. Maybe a good thing.

On a personal note (as posted on here recently) being at home more has encouraged me to get my cycle turbo trainer out again. I suspect others are as well. The growing number of online cycle services (Zwift, Peloton etc.) may well benefit and grow from this and may well be in a position to lower their subscription charges. A hopeful thought.

perksy

posted on 15/4/20 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
We're seeing patients who have been very poorly leave the hospital so that's brilliant
It would be good if the press could report this a bit more though rather than those who sadly don't make it

Its great to see more birds in the garden and the air is definitely fresher to breathe that's for sure

One of our neighbours whose a college lecturer says he's actually enjoying the isolation and solitude of it all

steve m

posted on 15/4/20 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am pleased some of you answered, and pretty well positive as well, so that's a big plus

For me, the self isolation /shielding is causing anxiety as I have NEVER sat still for very long, I don't watch much TV, unless its sport, and I love football and cricket mainly, but F1 and Olympics, are high on the list, yet there isn't any,
Ive resorted to watching ITV4, with minder professionals, and the Sweeny, ive seen them all about 100000 times, yawn yawn

I do try and keep busy, but its hard when the house is as good as I want it, the gardens are ok, my tintop has never been so clean since it was built in 2016, and low mileage now !

But, the air is clean, the birds are singing, the traffic is minimul and I live next door to Gatwick airport, and we havnt heard or seen a plane in weeks, a couple of helis go over now and again, its so quite out there, its like a sunday morning around 0800

This is a very odd time we are in right now, but to all my friends, and colleagues on this site, keep safe, and don't put yourselves or your loved ones at risk

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 16/4/20 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
No doubt there'll be good and bad things to come from the current situation. The bad things I'm sure will take longer to flush out/recover and as said I suspect there'll be changes to the way employers and employees operate in future. I guess it has the potential to push social and technical developments ahead - for people (and governments) to learn.
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/4/20 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

Now, this incredible 99 yr old veteran is doing something, that must be incredibly hard to do, yet he does
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52278746

This old guy has been a super star and a true hero, there is a petition to get him knighted which I've signed

Linky

[Edited on 16/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

coyoteboy

posted on 16/4/20 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

they may be telling you something different shortly... oh and I'm a planner so see exactly what's happened to the projects

On Hold, move to 2021, Cancelled etc etc

[Edited on 15/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

Maybe, at least one is a PM involved in a few of the large projects though - while they are shuffling a bit he said it's all pretty much business as usual because all of their work is planned 3 years out and they don't see it being a long term downturn - 6 months is a blip.

coyoteboy

posted on 16/4/20 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
We're seeing patients who have been very poorly leave the hospital so that's brilliant
It would be good if the press could report this a bit more though rather than those who sadly don't make it

Its great to see more birds in the garden and the air is definitely fresher to breathe that's for sure

One of our neighbours whose a college lecturer says he's actually enjoying the isolation and solitude of it all

I had a FB post about the huge number of recovered folk pulled by facebook as 'inappropriate' lol FFS.

I am very sociable in work and have a lot of friends, but I am loving the isolation from folk still - I'm getting so much done and really just chilling out. I really miss visiting my parents and family. I'm climbing the walls from lack of ability to do sports, but all my sports are solo sports anyway. So ultimately, I can cope with the solitude just fine, it's the lack of mobility that kills me!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.