Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What are you looking forward to most?
nick205

posted on 29/4/20 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Good on you Davie - vital to remember there's always people worse off!
Simon

posted on 1/5/20 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Working as usual atm but going to get very quiet very soon as running out of work (a good number of our clients are getting on/have health issues so aren't bringing stuff out); may have to use my D licence and start driving buses

We had a couple of weeks off leading up to Easter which was quite nice. If we get more time off, I'll be getting on with the Beetle, getting out on my bicycle and trying to avoid eating all the time! May sort stuff out on the house.

Thing I really want to do is get back out on my motorbike!

Both kids are grown but still in full time education and glued to pc's …

coyoteboy

posted on 1/5/20 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Freedom.

I'd been planning this year was going to lift me out of my funk after a break up, and get me travelling and using my work holidays instead of working them, so I bought more to make the most of it. I've since had enforced lockdown holidays and I'm likely to see more of them, and I've done none of the adventuring I wanted to. Nor have I seen my family as I had planned. Basically this virus has been the kick in the nuts I didn't need while trying to get back on my feet.

Working from home is harder, and I miss the office banter but it's giving me time to think and plan, so I'm better off that way.

[Edited on 1/5/20 by coyoteboy]

David Jenkins

posted on 1/5/20 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Twice in the past 18 months we've planned to go and see my brother and sister-in-law in Dornoch, Scotland. It's a hell of a journey from south Suffolk so it takes some planning to make a safe and pleasant journey (we usually stop halfway for an overnight stop). It was bad enough when they lived near Nairn, but now they've move 45 miles further north! On both occasions something came up to wreck the plans.

We could, in normal circumstances, fly to Inverness but we'd have to park near Luton and hire a car at the far end - might just as well drive there. We also like to hike around the countryside, and you can't carry all the boots and waterproofs with the normal luggage allowance. My wife also has a close friend who moved to Skye a while ago, and we'd normally stop in there for a while; it would be daft not to do so after driving all that way up north.

It's now over 2 years since we last saw them, he's 74 and I'm 68. I really don't want to have to wait a lot longer... although we're both in pretty good shape for our age.

TimC

posted on 2/5/20 at 03:53 AM Reply With Quote
In direct answer to the question, seeing and hugging my 74year old Mum. She lives alone, is generally very active and with a great social life. The isolation is pretty horrible for her - I know she’s desperate to see her grandchildren.

I run a food manufacturing site and hence have been pretty busy personally - and still going-in to work which means that some normality is retained. Work itself is fairly tough - down on volume quite a bit as many of our customers are restaurants, pubs and so-on. Therefore I’m having to have lots of tough conversations with people (reduced hours for example) as we try to ensure that the business stays healthy. I’m definitely looking forward to providing people with positive news again. The natural extension of this is some concern about family finances too. All this is clearly having some impact - after all I’m typing this at 04:30 as I’m unable to sleep. That said, as others have already mentioned, we could be a lot worse-off so there is still much to be thankful for.

My wife is WFH and is doing an amazing job juggling her work and the kids - aided by some remote support on home schooling from family members who are teachers and classroom assistants.

We live in a great little village and we can walk into fields and woods and there’s appropriate distance kept if we may have a long-distance chat with neighbours. The village pub is doing pre-booked take-away on the weekend which makes a nice treat. I’ve been doing a lot of running which is good for my physical and mental health - albeit the legs and toes are feeling it at the moment.

What this whole situation has done is made me determined to do more with my toy car. Its a track car at present and between kids and work, I just don’t get enough use out of it. With the exception of Llandow, I need to travel long-distance to use it. One of the main reasons is that it’s fairly noisy - I can’t attend Castle Combe for example. Not being road registered also rules-out the trackdays held by MSE at airfields down the M4 corridor and also prevents me from going to Hillclimb School at Shelsey. Plus, it would be good to be able to take it on the road. So, I’m adding a new airbox, plan to repack the exhaust and am starting to get ready for an IVA test - hopefully over winter. I’ve built it with IVA in mind in the sense that, for example, hoses are clipped at appropriate lengths but I’ve got some big challenges to overcome - like headlamps that are too low, a non-collapsing steering column, a non-existent dashboard and a non-CAT exhaust.

Hope everyone is/stays safe and well - great to hear from some of the ‘old guard’ on here too - also an unsurprisingly thoughtful post from Sera!

flak monkey

posted on 2/5/20 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I am sorry to hear a few of you are suffering or struggling in the current situation.

For those of you struggling, please reach out to people, even if it's on here if you want to vent. A quick video/voice call to someone can make all the difference if you are feeling isolated.

From a work perspective for those that don't know I'm a product manager in the security tech industry for one of the big 3 - detection equipment for airports, critical infrastructure, cargo etc. It's an interesting and tumultuous time for us. Obviously air travel has been decimated, but cargo etc is busier than ever. I am sure rules and regs will change as a result and there will be some interesting new technologies which either emerge or now make it mainstream. Many people in the industry, especially on the front line, are facing an unknown future with companies like Ryan Air and BA making statements suggesting air travel could take 3-4 years to return to 'normal'. I am a little concerned and worried, if truth be told.

My hope for the future is that the companies which survive and thrive find new ways of working, allowing people more flexibility to work from home if they can, reducing unnecessary travel for meetings (although there are always times when face to face has to be done) and just generally being more socially responsible.

However my biggest hope is that all those people who have kept the country moving and kept us safe and well finally get long lasting recognition and start to be respected. Clapping once a week and a rainbow is a load of hokum, an empty gesture, next time junior docs and nurses or those people on min wage in essential roles are complaining. Instead of writing it off, let's listen to them. Hold those accountable actually accountable.

Anyway... stay safe, stay well, we will weather this storm and it will pass eventually. It's not easy, and it's OK to not be OK

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

David Jenkins

posted on 2/5/20 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
From a work perspective for those that don't know I'm a product manager in the security tech industry for one of the big 3 - detection equipment for airports, critical infrastructure, cargo etc. It's an interesting and tumultuous time for us. Obviously air travel has been decimated, but cargo etc is busier than ever. I am sure rules and regs will change as a result and there will be some interesting new technologies which either emerge or now make it mainstream. Many people in the industry, especially on the front line, are facing an unknown future with companies like Ryan Air and BA making statements suggesting air travel could take 3-4 years to return to 'normal'. I am a little concerned and worried, if truth be told.

My daughter and her family live in Sydney, Australia - God only knows how much the air fare will be when everything gets back to whatever represents 'normal' in the future. It was a heap of money before this came along, and I'm sure it will be a lot more in the future.

No idea when I'll see them next, other than Skype. Got a Skype call arranged for tomorrow morning, which is good!

Still, mustn't grumble...

Fandango

posted on 3/5/20 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I was kicked out of hospital at the end of March, still awaiting essential surgery.

So now stuck at home forbidden from doing anything resembling physical work.

Funny how perspectives change, hard to imagine I would look forward to going to hospital!

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.