Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Austin Seven Special build
theprisioner

posted on 17/6/20 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Austin Seven Special build

I know half of you will hate this video but hopefully there are some who understand and even like what I have done to my Austin seven. It is a labour of love. It is not a road but a hill climb car, it competed last year in the Bo'ness Revival and got 5th. This year the event has been postponed hopefully till next year. The major change this year is the steering and geometry. I have a 1950's Bowden arrangement but it led to lousy handling with the original Austin worm and peg arrangement. There were two problems the double springs turned into a parallelogram on the corners resulting in excessive oversteer and the relationship with the steering caused an instability. The springs change length under load resulting in massive bump steer. Driving the steering input symmetrically from the middle gives a tow in change rather than a bump steer artefact. Anyway if there are A7 originality experts about to view this don't it will just upset you!!!

https://youtu.be/l8R7YD4in4k

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

SJ

posted on 17/6/20 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Love it!
HowardB

posted on 17/6/20 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
A frame chassis, low power and skinny wheels what's not to love,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

theprisioner

posted on 17/6/20 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
No skinny wheels that is something else I updated, had them specially made. Not much can do about the chassis, but it corners well now for a Seven.

John Bonnett

posted on 17/6/20 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Really well thought out and beautifully executed. Very well done indeed.
steve m

posted on 17/6/20 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I am a fan of the Austin 7, and was the first car I ever worked on, with my next door neighbour when I was about 14

I learnt everything that I know now from that 1933 A7,

But to the OP, its YOUR car, so do what ever you want, as with modern day traffic, an A7 would be a nightmare to drive
and even in about 1979/80 when I drove one from Crawley- Shoreham, it was a real handful and the steering was vague
and the brakes, non existant

Not a car I would like to drive now

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

starterman

posted on 17/6/20 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Love it.

Nice job.

John Bonnett

posted on 17/6/20 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I am a fan of the Austin 7, and was the first car I ever worked on, with my next door neighbour when I was about 14

But to the OP, its YOUR car, so do what ever you want, as with modern day traffic, an A7 would be a nightmare to drive
and even in about 1979/80 when I drove one from Crawley- Shoreham, it was a real handful and the steering was vague

steve

You didn't work for Edwards High Vacuum by any chance did you. I only ask because they had factories in Crawley and Shoreham and I used to work for them

steve m

posted on 17/6/20 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
No, I worked for RCF tools, just across the road from Edwards, my best friend worked there though Steve Hoskens

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steve m

posted on 17/6/20 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I did my private pilots licence at shoreham, (well started there finished at Redhill) and my neighbour helped me learn to fly until I was 16, I live in Crawley,

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/20 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I think its great and it's a race car and race cars are modified to go fast so are hardly going to be factory

3 times the power!! scary

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 18/6/20 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

steve

I am planning to drive a 28 tophat to southern Spain in 2022 - if we're allowed out!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Cannonball

posted on 18/6/20 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, the purists will be spewing in their soup and sure as hell will curse you forever for destroying a, oops should have said improving a 7.

A sound engineering job.

theprisioner

posted on 18/6/20 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used to think at 40mph the car was trying to kill me with it's instability in the steering now that speed is 70mph not limited by the engine power but not large enough cohonies. The limiting factor is the spring rate and the inability to trck the undulations in the road fast enough. If I was a proper suspension engineer I could possibly work out what was going on but hell 70mph out of an Austin Seven chassis is fast enough I think.

Irony

posted on 18/6/20 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I think it looks and sounds great mate. Good to see someone not wasting lockdown.
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/20 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Have to admit an Austin 7 ruby is still at the top of my list of cars to get. Once I hand my VW Up back in June next year I may think of getting one as I've wanted one badly for around 15 years...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.