Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petrol Strimmer
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/6/21 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol Strimmer

I think I need to buy a petrol strimmer. I look after a couple of gardens now, so I can't keep borrowing the one of my BIL. Besides, I am terrified of having it go wrong when I am using it, he would go on about it forever....

Must be petrol, as the gardens are both largish, and the owners only want them cut as few as times as they can get away with (typical landlords!) but it is important I can do this for them so I keep the other jobs I get.

Hoping under £100ish, but I know the line feed is often an issue. So if somebody can point me to one that works without grief, please do so.

Thanks

coyoteboy

posted on 2/6/21 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help you with a recommendation as I had one given to me (Honda one) - works well but somewhat overkill for a 20m long garden
I've been considering the ball-chain type attachments rather than line feed ones as I hate line feeds!

Benzine

posted on 2/6/21 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
This but cordless?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 2/6/21 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
mine was from Aldi - ideal when I had 200foot garden - it was about £65 and is still working 15years later.
If there is one on offer I would recommend it

the chainsaw and hedgetrimmer also came from Aldi and they are working well

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

HowardB

posted on 2/6/21 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
This but cordless?

"interesting!"

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/6/21 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
That reminds me of a time in screwfix. A chap, Eastern European from his accent, was trying to buy a 9" grinder, plus a TCT circular saw blade to fit it.
The branch manager wandered across, looked slightly horrified as it dawned on him what the chap was contemplating. And told the bloke to leave....

I may try a cheapy from toolstation, clearance special for £75. I reckon most of the cheap ones come out the same/similar factories. But I expect the line feed to be an issue at some point.

sebastiaan

posted on 2/6/21 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a (slightly above budget) Stiga Sbc 242 D. Had it three years, run it a few dozen hours per year. It's been faultless so far, also after winter storage with petrol in it.

Important: get one with a straight shaft and not the less powerfull ones which have a bend in them
Experiment with cutting wire; I used some gnarly looking "star cross-section" stuff which in the end proved far inferior to normal round line. Go figure...
Use castrol R. Of course.
Get a cutting blade if not included. They work slightly slower (smaller diameter), but cut EVERYTHING!

nick205

posted on 2/6/21 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Honda stuff generally does pretty good and last well.

Minds me of a time as a child my Mum took me out and my Dad was left to strim and mow. When we got home he was in seriously bas mood as he'd managed to strim a dog turd

theconrodkid

posted on 2/6/21 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Minds me of a time as a child my Mum took me out and my Dad was left to strim and mow. When we got home he was in seriously bas mood as he'd managed to strim a dog turd

thats why i always look for "land mines" before cutting my grass

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

coyoteboy

posted on 2/6/21 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I was left alone with garden tools I got the flesh round my kneecap caught in the hedge cutter blade, opened up a nice pocket.

Never yet strimmed a landmine yet though.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/6/21 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just go on gumtree and go on condition. I buy so much these days second hand and have got some amazing bargains.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 2/6/21 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've only ever known people complain about cheap 2 stroke strimmers. When we got our house, I bought a new Stihl FS40 with the standard bump head for line and the polycut head.

Best £180 I've spent. It starts second pull every time even after being left over winter and it doesn't give you numb hands with the vibration. With the polycut head it'll happily cut nettles or young brambles even though it's probably borderline abuse. It'll also de-bark trees so be careful...

Contrary to Sebastiaan's advice, I'd say avoid cheap straight shaft brushcutters. The bevel gearboxes can be horrendously noisy, noisier than the 2 smoke at the other end of the shaft. That and they're heavier. If you're only edging lawns, there's no need for the weight.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 2/6/21 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
I've only ever known people complain about cheap 2 stroke strimmers. When we got our house, I bought a new Stihl FS40 with the standard bump head for line and the polycut head.

Best £180 I've spent. It starts second pull every time even after being left over winter and it doesn't give you numb hands with the vibration. With the polycut head it'll happily cut nettles or young brambles even though it's probably borderline abuse. It'll also de-bark trees so be careful...

Contrary to Sebastiaan's advice, I'd say avoid cheap straight shaft brushcutters. The bevel gearboxes can be horrendously noisy, noisier than the 2 smoke at the other end of the shaft. That and they're heavier. If you're only edging lawns, there's no need for the weight.

Another vote for decent tools! I've got a Stihl FS40, and it's faultless. Only paid £160 for it new, and think you can still find them at that price online if you look around. Or consider a second hand one; they're usually easily serviceable (yourself if you fancy it), and widely available parts should anything every go wrong. Look after it and it'll go for years....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

padrc66

posted on 3/6/21 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Please don't think about adding a chain flail attachment to a standard trimmer or brush cutter not designed for it!

Parts of the chain can be ejected and have caused at least one fatality in the UK, see:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/brush-cutters.htm

indykid

posted on 3/6/21 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
quote:
Originally posted by indykid

Another vote for decent tools! I've got a Stihl FS40, and it's faultless. Only paid £160 for it new, and think you can still find them at that price online if you look around. Or consider a second hand one; they're usually easily serviceable (yourself if you fancy it), and widely available parts should anything every go wrong. Look after it and it'll go for years....

Have a ring round your local Stihl dealers and see what prices they can offer. I got discount on the machine, discount on the polycut head, a free spool of strimmer line and the stihl fully synth 2 stroke oil at about 1/3rd retail price. Also a tune up after running in on the first gallon of fuel.

I'd highly recommend Huddersfield Saw and Tool Centre to anyone in the area.

Even without the HSE announcement, the chain flails look like they have bad idea written all over them!

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/6/21 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by padrc66
Please don't think about adding a chain flail attachment to a standard trimmer or brush cutter not designed for it!

Parts of the chain can be ejected and have caused at least one fatality in the UK, see:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/brush-cutters.htm

good call, I didn't know about that

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/6/21 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have used Stihl kit ever since I was a teenager working for my grandfathers grass cuting business. Its great and never missed a beat.

£100 of second hand stihl is worth more than £100 of somtheing else new IMHO

Servicing and parts supports is always there too. Buy once, cry once is my advice.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.