Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Bodywork on a Locost
quinnj3

posted on 16/4/23 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
MK Bodywork on a Locost

Hello,

As the title I'm building a Locost based on the Vodou plans which in turn is based on the Haynes Roadster with a redesigned rear end and slightly different suspension pickup points.

I was considering making a fibreglass nose cone however it's probably more cost effective to buy. Trouble is there isn't that much out there I really like. My favourite is the MK Indy 200 Cup nose here.

Does anyone know if a MK Indy Cup 200 nose would fit a haynes roadster? I contacted MK but they basically said no way to know. If you buy that's fine but no returns if it doesn't fit as parts are made to order.

Any help appreciated.

James

posted on 17/4/23 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly the Haynes Roadster is 4" wider than a 'standard' book Locost (or was it 2"?).

The Indy was based on the Locost dimensions (obviously modified for IRS etc.). Looking at the Indy Cup 200 the nose cone looks pretty narrow- ie. Locost dimensions.

I believe therefore, that the Indy Cup 200 will be 4"/2" too narrow for your Roadster.

I'm amazed no one makes bodywork for the Roadster though?

GTS made a 4" wider car, I suppose you might be able to find some bodywork for one of them.

Good Luck,
James

P.S. My apologies for any innaccuracies in the above... it's been a long time! lol

[Edited on 17/4/23 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/23 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
That seems a very unhelpful attitude from MK, could at least provide some very basic dimensions such as the nose width, kind of thing that takes 2 mins with a tape measure.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
quinnj3

posted on 17/4/23 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Now that you mention it the nose is a little narrow looking. I've just referenced my plans to the Ron Champion book. Ron's front frame is 622mm while the Vodou is 684mm. 62mm difference in the front end.

There is a couple of haynes roadster bodywork available. Now I look at it the widebody version does look quite good. This may be the option I go for. I've enough time yet. I've only just finished the basic frame tonight so all the mounting points and suspension pickup points to do before I need to worry about bodywork.

I paraphrased MK's response. It wasn't quite as blunt as that and I'm also impressed they replied on a Sunday soon after I asked the question. I did think they could provide dimensions as well but I suppose they probably want to limit cars wearing their bodywork to their own design which I can understand.

Myke 2463

posted on 18/4/23 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
https://equinoxproducts.co.uk/fibreglass-moulding/store/ still have on their website , and there is a guy on ebay who makes all the parts although not advertising just now. There's a bonnet and nosecone on FB haynes roadster owner group.

Found him tim.storey eBay item number:155121229454 Check out other items.

[Edited on 18/4/23 by Myke 2463]

Be Lucky Mike.

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 20/4/23 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Your best option is certainly Equinox.

I have this bodywork on my Haynes, it fitted well, quality is good, service was as well.

If you want to check out the dimensions, you can visit this page on my Google Drive, as at that time I did 3D drawings of Equinox bodywork for them, and they authorised me to publish the renderings (not the original 3D files though )

https://drive.google.com /drive/folders/0B-iOekLVikV5Q3JNUnQ3NnlmYUk?resourcekey=0-wDyf7Dtl_4nu4tSm3Rns_A&usp=sharing

Hope that will help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.