Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Cybertruck
Replicar328

posted on 5/12/23 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Locost Cybertruck

I thought Elon's Cybertruck was just an online joke, but apparently it's real!

Anyone with the appetite for designing and building a scaled down Locost lookalike, maybe with a marine ply monocoque chassis?

With a real engine and gearbox, maybe rear engined transverse like the original Terrapin.

With inline donors ever less available this could be the way to go?

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/12/23 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure why you think its a joke, plenty of them about and being tested by reviewers on youtube. Can't say its floats my boat in any way but its just suffering from Musk's usual delays and hands in way too many projects.

I think the days of wooden cars are very much long gone, even notoriously sturdy cars from the 90's like volvo etc are no match for todays overweight juggernauts. You'd be just as safe as sitting in a cardboard box. Imo the cybertruck looks really dated, something off the set of Back to the future or old BladeRunner, a real 80's car, only 40 years well past its sell by date. It just needs a Mr Fusion coffee grinder in the back

[Edited on 5/12/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 5/12/23 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Replicar328

Anyone with the appetite for designing and building a scaled down Locost lookalike, maybe with a marine ply monocoque chassis?

With a real engine and gearbox, maybe rear engined transverse like the original Terrapin.

why would anybody want a lookalike of something like that?

Simone Giertz 's Truckla has way more style

[Edited on 5-12-2023 by gremlin1234]

craig1410

posted on 6/12/23 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
It may be real but it's still a joke, as is musk himself. The guy has no class, no taste and no inherent engineering talent. He simply throws inherited money at people who do have talent and then takes credit for their achievements. Unfortunately he is allegedly also willing to take shortcuts which put people's lives at risk with dodgy self driving software.

The "cybertruck" is an eyesore and I predict it will be a massive flop for Tesla. Yes, some people will buy it and proclaim it as the most amazing vehicle ever but the rest of us will shake our heads as we drive past. Even existing Tesla owners are selling perfectly good cars to avoid any association with this narcissist. And many of those people realise that there are plenty of better alternatives in the EV market.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/23 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by Replicar328

why would anybody want a lookalike of something like that?

Simone Giertz 's Truckla has way more style

[Edited on 5-12-2023 by gremlin1234]

I still remember her face when she saw the cybertruck revealed, in fact here it is

Description
Description

If Tesla had simply used her idea there would have been millions of them on the road by now.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 6/12/23 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
it is different and being mainly straight line just as doable as a 7, oh and a lot more practical....whats stopping you ?.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

BenB

posted on 6/12/23 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Did anyone see the rematch between the baseball and the truck window? The only difference seemed to be the way the ball was thrown! I can throw a ball harder than that!!! No wonder it survived intact the second time.
gremlin1234

posted on 6/12/23 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Did anyone see the rematch between the baseball and the truck window? The only difference seemed to be the way the ball was thrown! I can throw a ball harder than that!!! No wonder it survived intact the second time.

there was a much bigger difference,
the original stunt used a steel ball,
now just a regular baseball

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/23 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Personally I thought the whole thing totally idiotic and very dangerous for rescue in a crash, god help you if the car ended up in the water, you'd have zero chance of getting out and then both drown and then burn in a spectacular underwater lithium fueled Viking fire!

Ever see that video of the kid getting saved who got their head caught in an electric window and the guy saved them by punching the window out with his fist (bet that hurt!)? Tbh the more I learn about Tesla's the less I want anything to do with them. These day's I'd actually go for the new Prius.

MikeR

posted on 6/12/23 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'm curious how its got crumple zones built into it ....... bullet resistant, kick proof stainless steel panels don't sound like they're going to crumple in a crash. Being hit by an x ton sledgehammer doesn't appeal in the slightest.

If i'm right i suspect its not going to pass EU regulations unless its classified as something like a (guess) lorry.

Benzine

posted on 6/12/23 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
To anyone saying "why on earth would anyone buy one? It's hideous!" etc

See Nissan Juke.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/12/23 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
To anyone saying "why on earth would anyone buy one? It's hideous!" etc

See Nissan Juke.

First gen yes it was bad from the front especially due to the raised headlights, something it shares with my Leaf. I pass one in the morning and yeah it's got a face only a mother could love. However once you know that was done to funnel the wind around the wing mirrors (works well too) its not quite as daft as it first seems but it did nothing at all for the looks. Apparently it was all the Leaf's fault as during wind tunnel testing the car was so quiet due to the motor that the wind over the mirrors now seemed loud. Although the Leaf kind of got away with it due the pointy front and being electric, the Juke had no such excuse. The newer Jukes look ok but still have the appearance of an inflatable toy.

Like I said above I'd love a new Prius as the looks have been transformed, 40 miles electric, plug in, 196bhp and decent price too. I'd say that's a real threat to full EV's, I'd personally go for one over a second full EV and may do so once they're a few years old.

Description
Description

MikeR

posted on 7/12/23 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
The Prius sounds like a practical main car for two car families who have long distances. Reality is by the time you can afford it, all electric cars are likely to be practical family cars. I'm struggling with the choice of what to get next, I'm torn between all electric, hybrid or dinosaur juice. I think electric doesn't quite cut it due to 240 miles journeys I do in a day occasionally. For a second car electric would be great - we just need to improve/extend the charging infrastructure.
coyoteboy

posted on 7/12/23 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
It may be real but it's still a joke, as is musk himself. The guy has no class, no taste and no inherent engineering talent. He simply throws inherited money at people who do have talent and then takes credit for their achievements. Unfortunately he is allegedly also willing to take shortcuts which put people's lives at risk with dodgy self driving software.

The "cybertruck" is an eyesore and I predict it will be a massive flop for Tesla. Yes, some people will buy it and proclaim it as the most amazing vehicle ever but the rest of us will shake our heads as we drive past. Even existing Tesla owners are selling perfectly good cars to avoid any association with this narcissist. And many of those people realise that there are plenty of better alternatives in the EV market.

That's rather great leap to have made. Don't particularly like him, but he has some great positive aspects. Does he have engineering knowledge? I think he does, but maybe nothing special - but that's not the point, successful people surround themselves with people who know things they don't to make something happen. Inherited money - maybe initially, but not now. Regardless, we all play the hand we have to the best we can, you can't hold his start in life against him, you're not inherently a better person if you start off a working class Scot.

I've seen nothing of taking shortcuts, but it doesn't surprise me - one person's reasonable engineering decision is another's outrageous shortcut. What are you referring to?

I also think the cybertruck is an abominable vanity project but I believe they have enough orders to make it a success already. They have 2 million pre-order deposits of 1K dollars. Even if they make a handful and stop production, they made 2Bn from it (deposit not refundable).

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/12/23 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
The Prius sounds like a practical main car for two car families who have long distances. Reality is by the time you can afford it, all electric cars are likely to be practical family cars. I'm struggling with the choice of what to get next, I'm torn between all electric, hybrid or dinosaur juice. I think electric doesn't quite cut it due to 240 miles journeys I do in a day occasionally. For a second car electric would be great - we just need to improve/extend the charging infrastructure.

One of the things you have to keep in mind with EV's is their range stated is not done at 70mph, more like 55mph which is not practical if your on the motorway, it will just hammer your range. Although in town they will go all day long on a single charge.

Also in the winter there is a huge drop in range and even charge speed. For example, in the summer our Leaf shows 130miles, and if I take it easy I can and have got close to that. But in the winter it's just scraping by doing a 49mile round trip to the girls gymnastic driving at just 55mph and shows only 14miles left by the end of it! Ok it's an old gen car but the battery is in very good condition. This is just what EV's are like in real life, just watch some YouTube real reviews by owners and you'll see this is the case.

Personally I think there is still a place for plug in hybrids even after 2030, so long as they have at least 40 miles pure electric range at 70mph. Plus they should be capable of a maximum rapid charging time of 20mins & slow charging at work.

Sanzomat

posted on 7/12/23 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

One of the things you have to keep in mind with EV's is their range stated is not done at 70mph, more like 55mph which is not practical if your on the motorway, it will just hammer your range. Although in town they will go all day long on a single charge.

Also in the winter there is a huge drop in range and even charge speed. For example, in the summer our Leaf shows 130miles, and if I take it easy I can and have got close to that. But in the winter it's just scraping by doing a 49mile round trip to the girls gymnastic driving at just 55mph and shows only 14miles left by the end of it! Ok it's an old gen car but the battery is in very good condition. This is just what EV's are like in real life, just watch some YouTube real reviews by owners and you'll see this is the case.

Personally I think there is still a place for plug in hybrids even after 2030, so long as they have at least 40 miles pure electric range at 70mph. Plus they should be capable of a maximum rapid charging time of 20mins & slow charging at work.

My twopenneth on plug-in hybrids - I had a Passat GTE estate as a company car, new in 2017. I changed jobs in mid 2018 so only had it for about 14 months but I loved it. Although I did several long runs on petrol and the EV range was only 31 miles (I consistently got 25+ miles range) and it could only slow charge, I still managed to do 60% of all my mileage (22,000 miles in 14 months) on electric. All of my miles within urban areas were electric too so good for clean air. IIRC the company car tax was a big saving over the full ICE options at the time which being honest was my main reason for choosing it. Now I'm buying my own cars I've not been able to justify the additional capital cost. Also needing to tow the trailer/locost to track days isn't ideal for EVs (the Passat did the job well though).
Based on my experience I would have thought most people could get 60% of their journeys electric on a 30 mile range PHEV and not need a separate car for long journeys and no range anxiety. Seems like a no-brainer to me for the future as long as the capital costs don't kill it

craig1410

posted on 7/12/23 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

That's rather great leap to have made. Don't particularly like him, but he has some great positive aspects. Does he have engineering knowledge? I think he does, but maybe nothing special - but that's not the point, successful people surround themselves with people who know things they don't to make something happen. Inherited money - maybe initially, but not now. Regardless, we all play the hand we have to the best we can, you can't hold his start in life against him, you're not inherently a better person if you start off a working class Scot.

I've seen nothing of taking shortcuts, but it doesn't surprise me - one person's reasonable engineering decision is another's outrageous shortcut. What are you referring to?

I also think the cybertruck is an abominable vanity project but I believe they have enough orders to make it a success already. They have 2 million pre-order deposits of 1K dollars. Even if they make a handful and stop production, they made 2Bn from it (deposit not refundable).

I don't think it's a great leap at all but you're entitled to your opinion.

I started writing a fuller response to your comments but to be honest I just can't be bothered spending time on it. There is ample evidence of his antics if you want to search for them and if you prefer to believe he has "great positive aspects" then that's fine by me. Just ask all the Twitter employees who he sacked without notice and then refused to pay severance...

Also worth having a read of this article about the recent Tesla whistleblower: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67591311

Lastly, I never claimed to be "inherently a better person" because I didn't inherit millions from my Dad. In fact I have no issues whatsoever with people who inherit money, quite the opposite actually. I'm probably more of a lower middle class Scot with fiscally conservative and socially liberal tendencies if you want to pigeon hole me more accurately.

Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher from Star Trek TNG) did a far better job of describing musk than I ever could: https://mastodon.world/@jeffowski/111529793781498925

MikeR

posted on 7/12/23 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
I remember this quote when people speak of Musk, which i may not quite quote perfectly but you'll get the idea....

I know nothing about building cars, so when Musk built a car i thought he must be a genius,
i know nothing about building rocket ships, so when Musk built a rocket i thought he must be a genius,
I know lots about writing software, so when Musk bought twitter I realised I'm never getting in one of his rockets or cars.

(nb i think the cars may have enough miles on them for me to consider getting in one of them)

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/12/23 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Well, tbh I have zero against Musk personally, but as an observer I’m blown away with how much he’s accomplished so far, ok yeah it’s been through the help and work of a lot of people not just him but he’s managed to pull it all together and no one person could be an expert in so much anyway.

He did take on the whole automotive industry and won, hands down he won, forcing the current shift to EV’s. Like EV’s or not, only Tesla did that. GM had a good chance to do the same with the EV1, before buying them back just to cut up them up.

Then he took on the entire aerospace industry (oh is that all...) and won, again. Proving renewable rockets where a possibility making a hugely successful business' out of it. Where NASA, Russia and Europe had failed, miserably. Remember NASA trying with the half-baked deathtrap, the space shuttle and managed to brutally kill (aka negligent homicide) two entire crews.

It’s a given that some of his projects he supported have been a flop, but he’s not scared of giving things a bash even if they seem very unlikely to succeed and that’s fine, I don’t hold it against him. The Cybertruck, well I just don’t think it was the right car for the time, but if he sells enough then it’s simply a success, and good on him, we’ll have to see how it goes. Although a simple Model 3 pickup would probably have been a good option too.

He might make it to a successful Mars & moon mission, it’s going to be a hell of a slog but he’s on the right track and making good progress. I can only wish him all the success. So far everything I have see him do is for the greater good but if he starts developing a Death Star I may change my mind

[Edited on 8/12/23 by Mr Whippy]

coyoteboy

posted on 8/12/23 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I started writing a fuller response to your comments but to be honest I just can't be bothered spending time on it. There is ample evidence of his antics if you want to search for them and if you prefer to believe he has "great positive aspects" then that's fine by me. Just ask all the Twitter employees who he sacked without notice and then refused to pay severance...

Also worth having a read of this article about the recent Tesla whistleblower: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67591311

Lastly, I never claimed to be "inherently a better person" because I didn't inherit millions from my Dad. In fact I have no issues whatsoever with people who inherit money, quite the opposite actually. I'm probably more of a lower middle class Scot with fiscally conservative and socially liberal tendencies if you want to pigeon hole me more accurately.

Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher from Star Trek TNG) did a far better job of describing musk than I ever could: https://mastodon.world/@jeffowski/111529793781498925

It's quite in vogue to be critical of him, and to be honest it's easy to pick flaws in people. I choose not to look for the negatives because it doesn't do much good. Wils comments are full of bile and opinion, not evidence of a real human. I suspect if anyone read any person's online content and saw only their worst business decisions and not the thousands of nice ones, one might draw the same conclusion of most in senior positions. As I said, I'm not a musk fan (and his tendencies have got worse I'll admit) but am also not willing to assume I know who he is based on what I see online.

Wasn't particularly pigeon-holing you, more assuming that's the sort of person you'd find more wholesome &#128514;

JoelP

posted on 8/12/23 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
You only have to read a few of his tweets to realise he's a total bell end. I'm far more impressed by space x than by tesla tbh. It was always obvious electric cars were the future, he just got in and did a good job of dominating the market. Space X achieved more by bringing market forces into a rather stuffy, uncompetitive industry. Doesn't change the fact he's a truly horrible person.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

coyoteboy

posted on 8/12/23 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
You only have to read a few of his tweets to realise he's a total bell end. I'm far more impressed by space x than by tesla tbh. It was always obvious electric cars were the future, he just got in and did a good job of dominating the market. Space X achieved more by bringing market forces into a rather stuffy, uncompetitive industry. Doesn't change the fact he's a truly horrible person.

Tweets are rarely a reflection of people's true self, and of course they're a promotional mechanism. The more people talk about that thing he said, the more his businesses are in the news.

Like I say, easier to pick flaws than observe the better aspects. But hey, I've been through a period of life where I judged everyone and criticised everything, it was a dark place, I choose not to go there anymore regardless of the apparent naivety.

Simon

posted on 9/12/23 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Imo the cybertruck looks really dated, something of...
[Edited on 5/12/23 by Mr Whippy]

It reminds me of the Astron Martin Bulldog of the 1970's, so that's probably why

craig1410

posted on 9/12/23 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

It's quite in vogue to be critical of him, and to be honest it's easy to pick flaws in people. I choose not to look for the negatives because it doesn't do much good. Wils comments are full of bile and opinion, not evidence of a real human. I suspect if anyone read any person's online content and saw only their worst business decisions and not the thousands of nice ones, one might draw the same conclusion of most in senior positions. As I said, I'm not a musk fan (and his tendencies have got worse I'll admit) but am also not willing to assume I know who he is based on what I see online.

Wasn't particularly pigeon-holing you, more assuming that's the sort of person you'd find more wholesome &#128514;

I don't subscribe to Vogue so couldn't care less what is or is not in vogue. I say it as I see it.

Wil is more of a "real human" than musk ever will be. He does speak his opinion but whether you call it "bile" is your opinion.

I don't care about human flaws. I'm a huge fan of Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, Alan Sugar and many others throughout history. These people have flaws, often major ones, but they also have charisma, focus, talent and taste. Musk has none of these things.

You say you are "not a musk fan" but if it quacks like a duck!

[Edited on 9/12/2023 by craig1410]

craig1410

posted on 9/12/23 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Agreed, on the bell-end bit, and also about Space-X. The staff at Space-X have done a fantastic job, and I would say that is "despite" musk rather than because of him. They were all doing great work long before he got involved. Thankfully, space is more heavily regulated than the roads so we don't have "self-driving rockets". Although ironically that would be a simpler problem to solve than self driving cars!

And yes, he is a truly horrible person. Kind of like the Donald Trump of the tech industry.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.