Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cost to convert garage to habitable space
Simon

posted on 12/3/24 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cost to convert garage to habitable space

Garage is attached to house - the original part now under new bedroom upstairs when we extended a while back. We also extended out the front and created a larger entrance hall/lobby - garage approx 25' x 9' average.

The garage is single skin (upstairs is brick outer, timber inner in steels). Garage ceiling insulated over whole length.

Wondering what cost would be to make habitable.

Floor slab would need taking up, insulating, dpc and re-laying, wiring in garage is messy, outer walls need insulation, plastering whole lot, wall to replace garage door and window, possibly new door to outside. etc ec

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/3/24 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I know many people how have done this with incredible results, usually using the room as a new kitchen. Not sure the garage floor would need removed as I'd expect it to be lower than the house floor so joints could be added to raise it and a garage floor is a great base. A price is very hard to estimate but ask around your friends who might be able to recommend a builder they have used. Personally I'd do that kind of thing myself as it's a great fun project. If you don't need the garage it's a no brainer and will certainly raise the value of the house. Depending on you house a carport on the side would be more useful and appealing to buyers than the garage and are easy to build. It's funny we live next to a big housing estate and as I walk the dog, I have yet to see anyone actually park a car in their garage, its usually filled with boxes, bikes or sports equipment. Saying that the cars are often bigger the size of the garage door!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 12/3/24 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Prices will vary hugely area to area. And of course the standard of finish etc.
Best to get some quotes from local recommended builders.

Slimy38

posted on 13/3/24 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
It's going to be almost impossible to go off previous results. Over the last couple of years we've been extending our house (2 semi detached into 1 detached), and everything has been at least twice the price of previous work. Even basic things like plastering and plumbing have been twice as much as we had expected. Packs of loft boards for putting a floor down for storage, the three packs used to be a fiver only a few years ago, now they're £15!! That's more than just an inflation increase.

I would suggest a structural engineer, while you won't need planning permission (in most cases) you will need to meet building regs and they change rapidly. Particularly in terms of energy efficiency, that seems to change every time the government announce an 'initiative'!

nick205

posted on 13/3/24 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent
Simon

posted on 15/3/24 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, I suspect it's going to be out of budget for time being

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.