Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk5 Golf - what do you think?
DarrenW

posted on 27/5/05 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Mk5 Golf - what do you think?

Iam totally fed up with my 2001 V6 Mondeo. Its a Ghia X but i just cant get to like it. The car itself is in good nick etc, its just i cant get away with it. Ive had it 21 months so time for a change. I do some miles now so time for a diesel.

Test drove the new BMW 320D - awesome. More power and torque than the Mondeo and superb mpg to boot. Only flaw was the £24K + price tag for the SE so its out of the question.

Drove the new Golf 1.9 TDi and also the 2.0 GT Tdi. I cant believe how good they are. I like the 2.0 better as it has better pick up 50 - 70 for when im on Motorways.

Does anyone have one - how do you rate them, any problems to watch out for?

I cant think what else to test drive. Im looking for a good residual after 3 years. The Mondeo is shockingly bad in this respect. I like my German cars and need to keep below £18K. Any ideas?

[Edited on 27/5/05 by DarrenW]

Ben Smith

posted on 27/5/05 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
My sister has just got a 2.0 GT Tdi. it's great! Have only had one problem when it wouldn't start. It turned out there had been a re call just when she got the car and hers was missed. Fixed straight away.

She got hers from JamJar.com for £16,000 new!

Ben Smith.

flak monkey

posted on 27/5/05 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I know someone who has just bought a Diesel golf GTi. Its faster than the petrol on everything but 0-60. All internediate accleration times are better. He hasnt had any trouble with it as far as i know.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MikeR

posted on 27/5/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
heard a rumour of a problem with the golf 150bhp diesels ..... they break with either head gasket failure or something more serious with the pistons / rods.

Not seen any proof apart from i believe VW have stopped making that engine.

Ben Smith

posted on 27/5/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
MK 5 GT Tdi's are all 140bhp now.
shades

posted on 27/5/05 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
WRX? gets a free 40bhp prodrive kit just now...

Skoda VRS? if you want to stay german...

DorsetStrider

posted on 27/5/05 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
This is where I get laughed at.... but..... Have you looked at SEAT?

I have a 51reg ibiza and after 3 years the biggest fault I can find on it is that the glove compartment could be bigger.

the customer service I've received from SEAT has been impecable and it would take an awful lot for another company to temp me away from SEAT now.

Oh and one more thing....SEAT is now owned by VW so you get the VW production quality as well.

[Edited on 27/5/05 by DorsetStrider]

Who the f**K tightened this up!

bigandy

posted on 27/5/05 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
The Girlfreind has a Skoda Fabi VRS.

Cracking car. 130bhp PD tdi engine, and it's mid range acceleration still makes me chuckle after a year and a half of driving it!

The best bit is even thrashing it down the A55 for 30 odd miles, it still does around 55-60 to the gallon...

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

DarrenW

posted on 27/5/05 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Smith
My sister has just got a 2.0 GT Tdi. it's great! Have only had one problem when it wouldn't start. It turned out there had been a re call just when she got the car and hers was missed. Fixed straight away.

She got hers from JamJar.com for £16,000 new!

Ben Smith.

Does she have any problems with dealer servicing or honouring of warranties with buying it from other than a VW dealership?

theyve just brought the list price down to £17,200, only diff being the climate control has been dropped (now £700 option).

Peter Cowley

posted on 27/5/05 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 150bhp golf gt tdi, it was a superb car.

I remember the time one of the local chavs tried to push me out of the way entering the m58 near aintee, I had to let off at 130 just to give him a chance, he was 'bout half a mile back at that stage in my diesel smoke

Peter Cowley

posted on 27/5/05 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
OOPs forgot to mention the bottom end went last year when I got back from the donny kit car show, luckily it went as I left the motroway a stones throw from home !!!!!!

New engine installed to the tune of £3k

MikeR

posted on 27/5/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps the problem with the 150 vw diesel engine is all the people racing chavs and forgetting to slow down when they have disappeared from view
nick205

posted on 27/5/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd second Dorset Strider on the Seat angle.

I have a Leon Cupra TDi (150bhp) - it's a cracking (company) car. I still smile like an idiot every time I put my foot down and hang on the wheel.

I'd also agree that the dealer service is excellent

For ~£15k I reckon it's excellent value for money as well.

And 50+ mpg cannot be arfued with!

also IMHO it's a better looking car than either the mk4 or 5 Golf

Nick

James

posted on 27/5/05 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Good friend of mine has a Seat Leon Cupra (R?- or whatever the top spec one was 2 years ago).

It's 180bhp standard but he's had the 500quid Revo software map fitted and it's now putting out 280bhp IIRC. Plus buckets of torque too.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Ben Smith

posted on 27/5/05 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
No problems with servicing or warranty but make sure it's a UK spec car.

Ben.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.