Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whats up with ronchampion.com?
error

posted on 30/3/02 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
whats up with ronchampion.com?

Hi all!

This is my first post on this forum, so I thought I would start with a nontechnical subject.

Well, the title say it all. What has happend to the site http://www.ronchampion.com/ ?

/Mikael "Error" Westerberg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locodude

posted on 30/3/02 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi M
Mr champion has a history of being somewhat tardy when it comes to paying bills. Perhaps his hosting service has pulled the plug? It's not all rosy behind that jolly fat man persona! Although we have to thank him for what he started, as a businessman he makes a good trapeeze artist.
No axe to grind, just my thoughts.
Chris PTM

bigdaddyadd

posted on 30/3/02 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I read somewhere recently that shop he opened has gone bust or I hjust imagined it not quite sure which it's a busy place in my head. know wot I mean
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/3/02 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
its been fairly common knowledge on 'the other list' that locost limited, rons company, went bankrupt end of last year.

I have seen no reports of people who have lost money to him.

I would just love a business oportunity supported by my own best selling book. I wonder if I would f*** it up?

ATB

Steve

interestedparty

posted on 30/3/02 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
This subject interests me because I hope to do at least some profit-oriented kit car stuff in the not too distant future. I would say that reasons Ron Champion's problems have come about are all in the name i.e. Locost. If something doesn't cost very much then how on earth do you make any profit out of it. It's okay for firms like Robin Hood and MK because they are basically engineering outfits that make the products they sell, and because they are good at it they can make the parts sufficiently quickly to still be able to sell them at a price that many people wouldn't think it worth trying to make them themselves. It is my understanding though that Locost Ltd were buying their stock in from outside suppliers. It's alright for Caterham or Westfield at their prices to do that, but not Locost.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

locodude

posted on 30/3/02 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I
You're just about bang on there. You need a high profit margin to do what they were trying to do on what is basically a low value added product. All the adverts in the press (none of which were paid for I believe) and sponser a race series does not come cheap. We all have to remember though that Ron was a non-executive Director and did'nt want the company to fold but had no say. Just ask yourselves though, who were the Directors of Locost ltd and who are the Directors of the company who were supplying chassis etc (who are still in business).
There are honorable companies out there selling parts and kits and we all know who I attach my flag to, no names, no pack drill!
Chris PTM

andyd

posted on 31/3/02 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
This is the Locost Ltd deal AFAIK...

As stated in a previous post of mine, my mate and I paid Locost Ltd a chunk of money to supply us with chassis + other bits etc. We placed an order last Nov and five weeks later (the expected lead time) were told that although our chassis was made it had not been powder coated and "oh btw Locost Ltd have gone into voluntary liquidation" was our initial reaction based on the fact that they had nearly £3k of our money!! was our next!

After talking at length to the guy on the phone I got the real story which is...

Locost Ltd was indeed set up by Ron and run by a couple of other guys for him. We only ever met Mark Benton (sales guy) but I think they had a finance guy too. Locost basically was a shell company who were really just a trading name. They used a totally different company to actually do the manufacturing who are named Luego. The main reason that Locost went under was that they were not paying anyone (including Luego which they pretended were part of Locost) but seemed to spend all the money on the race series sponsorship.

Therefore Luego are still in business and our continuing to supply/manufacturer "locost" bits. They used to make the Tiger chassis etc before Locost Ltd presumably offered them a "better deal" oops

Anyway just to set the record straight ('cause they've done me no wrong), Luego Racing are doing exactly the same thing that Locost Ltd were doing but they are not sponsoring anything and they have raised the prices slightly (which again was a Locost Ltd faux pas). The guy that owns Luego has no connection (to my knowledge) with Locost Ltd and the guy running Luego (Grant) is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

God only knows what Ron is up to these days but then I guess he's made a few quid from the book so I don't expect he care much

Oh and BTW I have absolutly no connection to Luego. I'm just a computer programmer from Suffolk who doesn't like to see small companies given a bad name through misunderstandings etc. This forum is a very powerful device. If we all slag off a company, the chances are that that company won't get any business from the people that frequently visit here.

Just my 2p worth, if you don't agree then just ignore it and get on with life, you'll life longer without the stress

locodude

posted on 31/3/02 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy
I spoke to Ron at the autosports show in january and guess what, his tale is a bit different. Guess we'll never know the truth and who cares. I still think it's best to stick with a company who have been on the scene since day one. Even though they are now try to distance themselves somewhat from the Locost name. Two spring to mind. I can't say which one I would go with so I'll put it in code. M* Engi****ing.
Chris PTM

David Jenkins

posted on 2/4/02 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Mmmm... and MK has the decency to be polite on the phone (when you can get hold of him). More than can be said for St**t T*yl*r, who were almost offensive when I spoke to them last week...

David

bob

posted on 2/4/02 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I found ST people offensive face to face when looking to buy chassis,more keen to sell you a finshed car than parts.
I asked the price of chassis and wishbones only, and the guy walked off and spoke with someone else looking at another car.

chrisg

posted on 2/4/02 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's Official,

ST smell of piss

Cheers

Chris

Jasper

posted on 2/4/02 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to ST re a Blade car, he said not to attempt one without at least £6k (are you listening Jon!) in the bank, and a Pinto car without £4k. Me thinks his parts are a little overpriced, and he wasn't exactly Mr Friendly. Whereas MK were great....
merlin

posted on 3/4/02 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Recently ordered a pedal box from ST, got a quick response on the email but over a week after I sent cheque got a very cold reception on the phone! shan't be going there again! (Oh yeah, and the pedal box needed more hacking about and bending than I thought!!)
Bugger!!!

andyd

posted on 3/4/02 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Not being a smart a*** but it seems that my comment in a previous post in this thread is coming true...

"slag a company off on this list and nobody will buy from 'em" (paraphrased)

Any Stuart Taylor employees etc. take note Piss any of us off and you'll not sell much to over a thousand LocostBuilders!

I wonder if anyone from ST reads any these posts. If so... betcha sorry now!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.