Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet painting
DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet painting

does anyone know what paint is recommend for painting helmets? and where to get it from? Im just wanting to spray one section in one colour, not fancy airbrushing.

Its just a 'keep bugs out of eye' helmet and not a 'stop my head being splattered' bike helmet.

02GF74

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
ask at a motorbike shop?

as you are posting this, you are aware that paints as well as stickers may affect the integrity of the helmet.

flak monkey

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
If the helmet is fibreglass you can paint it as you like... Will need suitable preparation though.

If its a cheap polycarbonate one you need to be careful what you paint it with and what you stick on it as it can affect the plastic.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
The helmet is a Nitro Racing N800 V. The shell is basically fibreglass but the area i want to paint i sthe aerotech section on the top. Im convinced this section is a secondary part and is not fibreglass. As far as integrity is concerned, im not that bothered as helmet is strictly to stop bugs hitting my face in the car and will never be used on a bike.
Does anyone know if the aero section is just for vents or part of the crash structure on the N800 V??

flak monkey

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at mine, as we have the same helmet, it looks like the top vets are just aesthetic and are stuck on with whats effectively double sided tape. They dont look structural to me....

You should be able to paint it with normal car aerosol paint without a problem...would suggest you try it on a section first though.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks David, I thought the same thing. Im wondering if im brave enough to take try and remove that bit first.............

Reason im asking is that i accidently dropped the helmet today and have found out that bit isnt very tough. It deflected in and the paint has pulled off, ive also managed to put a small crack in it. Iam absolutely convinced that this is not a structural bit but am not happy with myself all the same - hence thinking about a small repair.

Before the bikers out there come round to mu house and stone me etc () as said before lid is only for car use.

jimgiblett

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
If there is any suspicion it is polycarbonate then use polycarbonate paint (available at almost all model shops). I've use Tamaya polycarbonate paint on aeroscreens very effectively.

- Jim

DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Phew - big relief. I thought id knacked the helmet big style. The vent section on top is just a lightweight polycarbonate addon that is very easliy removed. The helmet underneath is totally unmarked.

I can now easily sort out the polycarbonate bit and replace with double sided tape. I might however just leave it off.

DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
here is helmet minus the aerotech bit Rescued attachment Helmet minus aerotech bit.JPG
Rescued attachment Helmet minus aerotech bit.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
and here is the aerotech bit duly removed. Rescued attachment Helmet aerotech bit.JPG
Rescued attachment Helmet aerotech bit.JPG

indykid

posted on 25/1/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
i'd put it back on.

i've got a one of those bits on the back of my takachi, and have never had problems with helmet lift at speed up to about a ton. everyone i've ever heard complain about helmet lift haven't had that bit.

if it works for caterham cycle wongs, i can only guess it works for helmets

hth
tom

DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thankls for that Tom. I thought it was just for ventilation. Ill repair it then and refix - just need to decide what colour???? (im an engineer, not very arty!- i wonder if anyone could air brush it for me on the cheap?????)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.