Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pads...for stopping, not wear
7 in a fancy suit

posted on 12/2/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pads...for stopping, not wear

I'm will be preparing the Westfield for sprints and hillclimbs within the next few weeks. At my first outing in it in october, I felt as if I had single leading shoe drums, not vented 4 pots. It has been suggested that the pads may have been very 'hard' for good wear and heat resistance on longer events, but I need brakes that work instantly from cold. The average hill or sprint only last 60-90 seconds so they will never get overheated. The car has had an extra fuel tank fitted and makes me think that it may have been tweeked for endurance type stuff.

Anybody know anything about pads that work instantly from cold. I was even thinking along the lines of ordinary road pads?

Colin.

A man gets lonely in the desert.......and bored

NS Dev

posted on 12/2/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
A lot use std (good quality) road pads for short events like this.

Personally I would opt for Mintex 1144 compound pads.

These work from stone cold, but won't fade when hot.

I have used them successfully on road rally cars a few times and they are great, even as a substitute pad for a standard but "enthusiastically driven" road car.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 12/2/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Pads

Another vote for M1144. I use these for sprints and hillclimbs and they work from cold, but I do find they work better when warm, so I ride the brake while driving to the start to get a little heat into them

The comparable Ferodo pad is also meant to be very good.

I would tend to only use manufacturers that are seen at the top end of motorsports........

John

Kissy

posted on 12/2/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
EBC Green Stuff Pads - work from cold, nice progressive feel and just go on gripping, will be ideal for a car the weight of a seven (they don't last long on a saloon, couple of thousand miles maximum) - reasonable cost and readily available. The Red Stuff pads need a heavier car and don't work from cold. HTH
7 in a fancy suit

posted on 12/2/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, just the sort of info I was after.

I probably have something like 'Red stuff' or equivalent in at present....which gave me a hairy moment at the hairpin at the end of the finishing straight, pulling on the steering wheel and half cursin'/half praying between clenched teeth.

Colin.

A man gets lonely in the desert.......and bored

JoelP

posted on 12/2/06 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
i have a set of mintex too which i got on nats recommendation. Cant really comment on them as i havent got much to compare them to, but they certainly stop well.
givemethebighammer

posted on 12/2/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
More Mintex M1144 here too:

Never let me down on the track or the road yet.

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 12/2/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I am not a fan of EBC pads after having some in my mountan bike calipers and the pad coming off the backing.

John

NS Dev

posted on 12/2/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a fan of them either after having them break up in the road rally car, and having had the green ones fade under conditions where the Mintex performed perfectly.

only prob is I don't seem to be able to find mintex pads to fit my raceleda 4 pot calipers!! (same as outlaw/cat motorsport ones)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

simon hewitt

posted on 13/2/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Pads

Have done 3 trackdays with EBC Red Stuff Ceramics in my MK Indyblade. Awesome stopping power, warm up fast, no fade. I would recommend them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.