Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crash helmet custom paint
Fred W B

posted on 20/2/06 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Crash helmet custom paint

Anyone had their crash helmet custom painted?

I had my Bell Sport 2 airbrushed recently by a motorcycle customizer, based on a helmet I painted years ago. That was so long ago that the colours were originally inspired by Freddie Spencer's helmet - world motorcycle champ in early 80's. I like to think the retro style stripes make a nice change from all the schumy inspired circular patterns the karting kids are currently using.

I wanted to have the silver shapes on the back in "chrome" effect, like you see on some FI helmets etc, but my painter didn't know the trick - Does anyone?

We tried chrome effect vinyl under the clear coat, but that didn't work.

Cheers

Fred W B
helmet
helmet

helmet 1
helmet 1

[Edited on 20/2/06 by Fred W B]

oliwb

posted on 20/2/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh mines a custom job...not got a pic but its basicaly split into three with the front section to back being a chequered flag, one side a japanese flag, one side an italian flag and the back is a daffy duck with a cigarette and the words smokin above it in smoke letters, all the flags are waving and tear off into flames at the back...looks very cool but hard to explain....Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
k33ts

posted on 20/2/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
youll have to start with a chrome plated helmet, if you want mirror finish, next best thing is vinyl but its not a very good mirror affect.
k33ts

posted on 20/2/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KBC-VR-2-MIRAGE-Chrome-Motorcycle-Helmet-Kawasaki-ZX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6749QQitemZ8039222021QQrdZ1is

Kodiak

posted on 21/2/06 at 05:12 AM Reply With Quote
helmet silver

The mirror finish silver you may want to look at is a Dupont Mylar self adhesive film that many sign writers stock. As it is a polyester it is not as stretchy as Vinyl so 3D shapes are tricky but the patches on the back of your helmet (assume that is the area) look small enough if the film is pre warmed. Vinyl stretches better but as you have discovered silver vinyl is actually more like slightly metalic grey. Wrong part of the world or I could give you a sheet of it. Sealing is not a huge problemjust as long as the clear laquer used is compatable with the protective coating on the surface (try a scrap first) Dave

[Edited on 21/2/06 by Kodiak]

Fred W B

posted on 21/2/06 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replys guys. We did try some silver chrome look vinyl, but it peeled up under the clearcoat. The painter redid it with silver paint, as you see in the pic.

Cheers

Fred WB

RazMan

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Fred, The mirror silver vinyl is actually a polyester film and, as you discovered, is very sensitive to solvents leeching underneath and dissolving the adhesive backing. You need to seal it with a water based (I think) laquer before using a two pack top coat. If you have a word with the vinyl supplier he will probably give you some pointers.

Hope that helps

[Edited on 21-2-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.