Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whatever happened to friendly dicussion?
flak monkey

posted on 28/2/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever happened to friendly dicussion?

I have been a member on here for a fair while (yes I know not as long as many of you!) but it seems just recently that theres been a huge number of arguments over the most petty of things and a lot of unsubstatiated things said about various people/companies etc etc

I have no idea what started it all off, but I went away for the summer, came back and theres been arguments every month since pretty much.

Fair enough theres always been diagreements, or the odd crossed word said, but its always been perhaps justified and very rare.

Just remember when you post that you can't always convey tone of voice or meaning with smilies! And people may take things in a way in which they werent intended. Especially if its a sarcastic or synical comment.

Since a lot of the arguments seem to have come about over manufacturers. Of course everyone has the right to defend a manufacturer, especially if they are building one of their cars and have always had good service, but it helps if only people who have had any dealing with said manufacturer have their input (be it good or bad!), be that manufacturer MK, MNR, Mac1, GTS, Luego etc etc. Basically, if you have no experience of a service and are going only on what others have said, keep your mouth shut. I think theres a few stirrers who want to wind others up...

Cant we all be friends??! Agree to disagree on certain things?

Cheers,
David

PS None of this is aimed at anyone in particular! Just an in general.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

stevebubs

posted on 28/2/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed - it's reached the point where it's starting to drive people away...

People on here used to laugh at the way blatchat was snobbish and derisive of other marks, but recent "discussions" on here have been just as bad, if not worse....

Friendly banter is one thing, outright twattishness is another - and there's an awful lot of that at the moment.

[Edited on 28/2/06 by stevebubs]

I love speed :-P

posted on 28/2/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
like i said in the other post, this site is going more and more like TOL which is very very sad

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 28/2/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
here here

Humbug

posted on 28/2/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
here here

where? where?

Seriously, though, I agree that we should be allowed to have different opinions without it resulting in a petty slagging off match.

These things are still thankfully a relatively small percentage of the posts and overall the forum is a good thing - I would have been lost several times without the advice and ideas available.

MikeR

posted on 28/2/06 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
we've grown & segmented......

its bound to happen.

give it a year or two and we'll have separate lists for separate manufacturers.

I've never been sure i've agreed with the lots of different forums approach on this site. We get so much traffic there doesn't seem any other option but i think that helps develop silo mentalities.

So, its all ChrisW's fault. I blame him for inventing this site and making me waste sooo much of my life on here!

mookaloid

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Well I haven't seen much of what you are describing for a week or two.

However if people keep mentioning it then everyone will start to believe it.

I think that 99.9% of posts are done with good intentions and those squabbles that occasionally happen die away in time.

If everyone just thought a little before posting something controversial and used some tact and diplomacy then we would all get along just fine.

Most people on here are reasonable people and would I think understand this, so how about us all trying to be a bit more positive from now on?

Cheers

Mark

Avoneer

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you look back at all "those" posts, there appears to be a common denominator.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes there does doesn't there!

Ah well!

I'm all in favour of things exactly the way they are, one big - mainly happy, but slightly disfunctional around the edges - family! It's only reflective of "real life"!!

Most of us on here are only here for the craic of it, lets keep it that way!

Sometimes I can come over as abrupt but only cos that's how I am, it's not personal!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JoelP

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
im all for being polite and friendly, even when disagreeing. Sometimes however, you have to make a stand even if that contributes to the argument. Many forums have an ignore button, imagine how good that would be?!

If we all remember to stick to fact, not insults, we should be fine.

and lol at pat and the common denominator

graememk

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
most of the arguments are fuelled by the same small minority, picking up on the smallest of error, miss spelling even just the miss use of a smiley, or a sad/angry where a happy should be etc.

Project7

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Once you result to personal attack - ie calling people ankers, or gimps etc, you've lost the arguement. I cant understand why people do it when trying to argue a perfectly valid point.

I think that thread started lightheartedly and spiraled out of control.

stevec

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I feel sorry for the new chap who walked straight into that lot last night, He probably thinks we are all a load of ankers.
There is no need for anyone to kick off like that.
Peace man

Mr G

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
I feel sorry for the new chap who walked straight into that lot last night, He probably thinks we are all a load of ankers.
There is no need for anyone to kick off like that.
Peace man

What did I miss????

Edit: No worries found it, off for a gander

[Edited on 28/2/06 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

britishtrident

posted on 28/2/06 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
For Pythons everywhere ---

That argument was never 5 minutes !

flak monkey

posted on 28/2/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
For Pythons everywhere ---

That argument was never 5 minutes !

I am afraid it was!

Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

[Edited on 28/2/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

uklee70

posted on 28/2/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I must have missed that one

I have been on the wrong end of some internet bad mouthing on another forum regarding my old R1 Mini and it isn't great

The car was featured in quite a few mags and the car played up for a 0-60 test in some mag can't remember which and it posted a really slow 0-60 time the forum really slated the car.

I have posted a few pic's of my new car on here and had lot's support and tech advice.

So I would like to thank the people on here and say this is a great forum

Everyone remember think before you press that post button

Lee

minordelay

posted on 28/2/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I for one love reading the forum and am getting addicted to the sheer variety of topics covered. I never cease to be amazed at the help offered to all and sundry with the simplest or most technical of enquiries. It really would be a sham e to spoil it!!!!

ps I don't use smileys cos I'm stuck in the past

steve_gus

posted on 28/2/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
anyone care to point out where this argument is so i dont have to trawl too far?

Im a bit miffed there was one, and i wasnt in it

bet it was Cita slagging of the americans again

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

Mr G

posted on 28/2/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I might be trawling through the wrong thread (as there are so many abusive argument threads )

Fantastic read, can't put it down, available as a paperback from penguin.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=39820

[Edited on 28/2/06 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

DEAN C.

posted on 28/2/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I too can remember a couple of years ago being at the end of someones abusive tongue!
You just have to laugh it off although it peed me off at the time.
They are always about petty things as has already been mentioned.

I Think we all need a chill pill now and again,including me.
I think we all need to remember this is an interest and a hobby not serious life and death issues..
Unless you cant weld that is! Or understand thermostats( Doh! i've done it now)Where's my flak jacket?
All the best,Dean...........

[Edited on 28/2/06 by DEAN C.]

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

steve_gus

posted on 28/2/06 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
thx for the link.

I wonder if calvinx has ever studied for a degree? If you do, you have to put forward a well reasoned theory developed from research and quoting the work / experiences of others. Not just stating a personal view in an insulting tone.

im kinda wondering why he thinks tampax isnt a good product

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

ch1ll1

posted on 28/2/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
i agree.
only been a member for a short while
think the site is great,
every on has there own view but calling names (etc) ,
thought i was back at school,

every kit differs to another so lets all just kiss and make up

tri

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have just read alot of that link and i for one this its all so sad the way that people are acting, i am still. in school and even the 1st years don't act like some of them so i would say just grow up or leave cause i need help on my car not to read people insulting each other.

Tri

jollygreengiant

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sad, Very Sad.

Nuff said.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.