Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broadband service
piddy

posted on 22/4/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Broadband service

My father has finally had enough of dial up and has decided to go to broadband.

I don't think he will be downloading much and after being on dial up, a 1M connection should be ok.

Can any of you recommend a good reliable supplier that are also cheap.

He's convinced that Pipex is the one but I haven't heard of them.

graememk

posted on 22/4/06 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
pipex is one of the oldest isp's i know

BKLOCO

posted on 22/4/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Virgin.
Very happy with the service.
Never had any problems.
2mb at the moment soon to be 8mb for the same price

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Peter Cowley

posted on 22/4/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
what about the new talk talk 9.99 a month for unlimited uk landline and unlimited calls to upto 28 international countriesincluding usa and canada and FREE 8mb broadband forever. you just have to take their phone line rental at 11.00 month - cheap cheap cheap ! all together 20.98 month - my dads just signed up......!
donut

posted on 22/4/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pipex been going for years and are very very good....apparently!

I'm with BT and i have never had any slow connection or downtime.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marlon

posted on 22/4/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
have you thought of wanadoo from £14.99 and up to 8 meg
john.

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

andyharding

posted on 22/4/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
We do up to 8Mbps for £19.99 or if you want free telephone tech support £23.49.

www.inetc.co.uk

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

SixedUp

posted on 22/4/06 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bottom line is that it depends on what you need. All-inclusive access to 28 international destinations is only of use if you happen to call those countries

My parents signed up to Pipex recently because they get broadband and (for them) a cheap phone deal for about £15 a month combined. It wouldn't suit me, but they're as happy as can be

From what I've seen of their experiences, Pipex seem to be pretty good, as you would expect for someone whos been around as long as they have.

Cheers
Richard

NigeEss

posted on 22/4/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Cowley
what about the new talk talk 9.99 a month for unlimited uk landline and unlimited calls to upto 28 international countriesincluding usa and canada and FREE 8mb broadband forever. you just have to take their phone line rental at 11.00 month - cheap cheap cheap ! all together 20.98 month - my dads just signed up......!

Does seem to be a fantastic deal, but there is a £29.99 connection charge.
A mate has just signed up and was told it won't go live til mid June. Due to the
massive uptake they are staggering batches of connections to avoid overloading
the server. I'm going to go for it myself, been with Tesco for a while no probs but they
can't compete.
I've also had Talk Talk for about two years and save an average of five quid a month.

MikeRJ

posted on 23/4/06 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Pipex, certainaly one of the oldest ISP's still going in the UK. Service has generaly been very good since I joined a couple of years back, but their prices are certainly not as competitive as some of the newer ISP's. However, support does seem to be very good, I complained about low speeds just after I was upgraded from 512kb to 1Mb and it was fixed within a couple of days.
britishtrident

posted on 23/4/06 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
The whole broadband scene is about to change the normal connection will become 8mb/s as exchanges are updated.

Generally it pays to stick to the serious ISP and avoid those who advertise on the TV. The tops names the customers are most happy with don't change much Pipex, Demon, Zen, Nildram, Zetnet.

The main thing that distinghishes between providers is level of support when thing go wrong, the issue being when they will call BT in to deal with a broadband fault between you and the exchange --- BT charge the ISP about 60 pounds each time if no fault is found.

The http://www.adslguide.org.uk is the place to go for info check the ratings of each isp and also look in the message board forum you will quickly get an idea which isps to avoid at all costs --- from the ratings basically it pays to avoid Tiscalli, BullDog, TalkTalk, OneTel.

BT Yahoo are also best avoided apart from the AOL style awful Yahoo junk when I was with them in the early days of broadband they had lots of mysterious 24 hour outages that they never admitted to, and one of the main service call centres is in india I had a great deal of difficulty stopping them taking money from my bank after I left and an even bigger fight to get it back.

Immediately after the BT Yahoo deal went into effect I got hit with masses of spam which they wanted to charge to filter, in the 3 years since with my new ISP (Zen) I get less than 5 a week to my main own domain name based email address which hasn't change; any just a coincidence ?

[Edited on 23/4/06 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 23/4/06 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Cowley

Does seem to be a fantastic deal, but there is a £29.99 connection charge.
A mate has just signed up and was told it won't go live til mid June. Due to the
massive uptake they are staggering batches of connections to avoid overloading
the server. I'm going to go for it myself, been with Tesco for a while no probs but they
can't compete.
I've also had Talk Talk for about two years and save an average of five quid a month.

TalkTalk have some very unhappy customers locked into 12 month contracts -- see ratings at the adsguide.org.uk.

piddy

posted on 23/4/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks All.

I will send your comments to him and let him make his own mind up.

donut

posted on 23/4/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I did read an article recently that predicted that all the small isp's will no longer exist in a few years time and the choice will be left to a handfull of the big boys like BT, Wanadoo etc. Why this is i'm not sure but it was something to do with big changes to the services provided by the telephone exchanges.

We are so far behind in this country for this sort of technology it's embarrasing.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 23/4/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I'm with Pipex, certainaly one of the oldest ISP's still going in the UK. Service has generaly been very good since I joined a couple of years back, but their prices are certainly not as competitive as some of the newer ISP's. However, support does seem to be very good, I complained about low speeds just after I was upgraded from 512kb to 1Mb and it was fixed within a couple of days.

Me too service/connection un faultable in the last 3 years i've had it.
BTW I am told, and will probably try next week, that a call to them suggesting you are thinking of moving on reduces the cost.....

jimgiblett

posted on 23/4/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have been with euro1net for a bit over 4 months now and am very happy 1 Mb for £10 per month (Special offer free upgrade from 512k). Have speed tested many times speed and is always a full 1Mb which is more than can be said for a number of other providers.

Link to euro1net here

trogdor

posted on 24/4/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
We had bt for awhile which was good til they screwed us over by charging use for downloads they said would be free. we had to change elsewhere.

the talk talk deal is prob the best for the normal user. altough the best connectoin i have seen is from demon at my parents house. its a fixed ip service as my dad needs that. but it can stream music vids no prob with no jerkyness with other peeps using the connection. while the tiscali connection we have, while it is faster cannot do that.

hope u find a good deal

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.