Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: joining exhaust together
locoboy

posted on 29/4/06 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
joining exhaust together

Hi,

I have just received my MK R1 exhaust and i am wondering how i secure the ends of the headers into the collector box?

At present they just slide in and out surely they must need sealing with something?

Also do you need to put exhaust putty round the headers where they butt up to the exhaust ports?

ATB
Locoboy

RazMan

posted on 29/4/06 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
That's about it really - I asked the same question when I got my custom built stainless system and I was dissappointed that they couldn't be clamped up tight. As long as all the bracketry is holding everything securely the joint just needs a wipe of putty to keep it gas tight.

As far as the manifold / head joint, you don't use anything other than a dry 'crush' gasket and that will seal properly

[Edited on 29-4-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peter Cowley

posted on 29/4/06 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
where the headers go into the collector you want touse 'plumba flu' high temp silicone sealant (used on boliers to seal em). If you use ordinary exhaust paste it WILL crack and you will end up having to do it again and again !

Westfield use this stuff, had the same problem before they told me to use this !

Peter.

RazMan

posted on 29/4/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Cowley
'plumba flu' high temp silicone sealant

That's the stuff! Not putty as I stated

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 29/4/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
i used copper rings between the head and the pipes, available from any bike shop i guess. If they dont have the right size, just hold them central. Worked ok for me
BKLOCO

posted on 29/4/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you are using a Lambda sensor in the system you MUST NOT USE silicone based sealants. The silicone kills the sensors. You should use sensor "friendly" sealants throuout.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.