Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: solidworks question
nealg

posted on 3/12/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
solidworks question

Hi I have downloaded this model of a driver
can anyone tell me how to add moveable joints
( i believe it can be done in solidworks but I am new to this system)I want to be able to move the legs and arms into different positions

Thanks in advance to any help

[Edited on 3/12/06 by nealg]

nealg

posted on 3/12/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Here is the model I need help on Rescued attachment driver.JPG
Rescued attachment driver.JPG

flak monkey

posted on 3/12/06 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Show all of the sketches. Figure out which planes each part of the limb is drawn on and then modify the plane properties. I would have thought the planes have been drawn at angles relative to eachother. So changing the angles, should make your persons joints move around.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

designer

posted on 3/12/06 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
You should tell us where you downloaded it from.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GavBurns

posted on 3/12/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing to do with your question, Sorry

How do you get a picture of a screenshot? I need to do one for my website.

Go BEC you'll never look back (literally)!!

Hellfire

posted on 3/12/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GavBurns

ALT and PrintScreen/SysRq copies the entire screen then paste into an image editor.

Steve

andyd

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by GavBurns

ALT and PrintScreen/SysRq copies the entire screen then paste into an image editor.

Steve

Not quite... [pedantic mode=on]... <ALT>+<PrintScrn> gets the currently active window.... <Shift>+<PrintScrn> gets the entire desktop/screen.

Getting the entire desktop may be useful too for some things. Generally though Steve's answer is good for most things... [pedantic mode=off]

Andy

bigandy

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
As the driver has been constructed as a single SW part, you will have to go into the part feature history and figure out how everything is tied together. AS David said, it looks like the model is constrained by a load of planes, so moving them should enable you to move the limbs about. However, depending on how the sketches that have been used to generate the limb features have been constrained, moving a plane may cause all sorts of problems, such as sketch entities magically becoming over constrained, or dangling.

If you want a model that allows you to drag his hand or leg around, I would model something like that as a an assembly, built around the torso, and mating the limbs onto it. If you are clever, the mates could be defined such that the limbs are only constrained in the directions they cannot move (thus dragging a limb around would not allow it to move in a way that a normal human could not do).

Editing that model you have now, and splitting up the features such as limbs etc, then splitting them out into a pile of new parts, before finally assembling the new parts into an assembly would be the way I would tackle it, unless I wanted a model of a bloke that looked a bit more like me (perhaps with a receding hairline, and a bit more chunky

Hope that helps.

Andy

Ps. You can save a picture of the active viewport in SW by clicking file, save as, and selecting the file type as JPEG. it doesn't capture anything other than the viewport though (i.e. no feature tree etc.) You can also select the file type to be a few different graphics types, or even PDF files..

I tend to use the PrintScreen though, and edit it in Paint or something like that to remove the bits I don't need.

Dammit! Too many decisions....

nealg

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
the model was downloaded off the dp1 site if anyone is interested
bigandy

posted on 3/12/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Have you had a look at the 3D content central website? It's got a huge database of downloadable models for solidworks and other CAD formats. There might be a decent human model in there:

http://www.3dcontentcentral.com

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.