Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The 1 vehicle donor car
millenniumtree

posted on 12/12/06 at 04:01 AM Reply With Quote
The 1 vehicle donor car

Being a Toyota nut is hard in the US. A real corolla GT-S is so hard to find here, (or when you do find one, it's so unbelieveably expensive) that it makes me just want to give up sometimes.

But I think I have found the solution.

Another single-car donor, that's fairly easy to find, won't cost me a fortune, and will provide an easy upgrade path (maybe to a 4A-GE) in the future. And best of all, it's a Toyota (to satisfy my obsessive brand loyalty).

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the 1979-1994 2WD Toyota pickup!

At first glance, you might think I'm crazy, but here's why it's the perfect donor (or so I think, correct me if I'm way off base here)

I can use:
Engine (22R/22R-E)
Transmission (W50-W56)
Prop shaft (2WD short body has a simple 1 piece prop)
Solid rear axle and rear uprights
Front uprights (very simple hubs that come standard with a double-A-arm linkage!)
Wheels - tires may be too big, but I can fit low-profile tires for a more sporty feel.

Things I can't use:
Steering rack (pittman arm steering - I may be able to make this work, but I'd rather not)
Gas tank - too big unless I lengthen the ass-end of the car
Radiator - too big

Upgrade options:
With forged pistons from a turbo unit, and a turbo off of a supra, I can boost up to 350 hp @ 25psi with a nearly stock bottom end.
A 4A-GE with the right bellhousing will bolt up to the transmission with ease, if I wanted to go that route instead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 12/12/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
sounds a pretty neat solution

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

dl_peabody

posted on 12/12/06 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have hard complaints that the 22r is "a little tall" can you verify this? (Oil pan to oil cap in height meassurements?) Sorry I am not doubting you...the engines are ROCK solid!!!, but I am concerned about height....any info you could provide would be helpfull.

[Edited on 12/12/06 by dl_peabody]

Bluemoon

posted on 12/12/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
The other problem may be the diff ratio, especialy if the wheels diameter are larger tham the ones you intend using, don't want to be doing 5000rpm at 50Miles/hr, best do the maths..
millenniumtree

posted on 12/12/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Aha, the diff is a good thought. I'll investigate this. These engines are very torquey anyway, so running at 5000 probably won't give me much extra oomph.

Regarding the height, it looks like the 22R is slightly shorter than a 4A-GE (see attached image)

Looking around on eBay, it appears that the 2WD versions are more rare than the 4WD versions, but they are about HALF the price when you do find them! Might be a very good value!

BTW, the injected, later 22R-E engines make 112hp, and the turbo 22R-TE has 135hp (though these are very rare)

Instead of dicking around with the MR2/GT-S/+other bits, I think this is a better option overall.

The whole reason I got interested in Locosts is the cheap factor - then I found the GT-S and fell in love (but I'll seemingly NEVER have the cash for an MR2/GT-S build), now I'm back to cheap.

If you're wondering about my obsession with Toyotas... I used to have a Camry with a 3S-GE 2.0 and that thing was a blast. The body was falling apart but the engine was indestructible. I wish I would have kept it for a donor.
I also received a pant-wetting when I got a ride in a 600hp single turbo supra. That thing was nutty. I think if I make a second locost, it'll have to be a massively uprated frame with a supra motor Rescued attachment 22R-2.jpg
Rescued attachment 22R-2.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 12/12/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
of course you missed the obvious volvo donor , since you got loads of em over there and the potential from that one donor for 350 hp of boostly goodness .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Arthur Dent

posted on 12/12/06 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd question that height comparision - most of the 22Rs I've seen have been 25" from valve cover to sump - then add some more space for carb and aircleaner.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

millenniumtree

posted on 13/12/06 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh, you may be right with the new (silvery) valve cover with the red lettering - it looks a bit taller than the old style cover. And that picture is obviously an injected engine - a bloody huge air cleaner on top would add a few inches certainly.

Personally, I think I'd like the injected model more... It's a newer system, and you don't have to fiddle with carbs... *shrug*

Volvos, yes... There is one family who I drive by every morning to work who owns 4 volvos. I think 3 240s and a 740. They're a time a dozen... But I've never even seen the underside of a volvo hood before... I like my Yodas.

I might yet think about a volvo, depending on how hard it is to find everything toyota.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.