Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top help
locoboy

posted on 28/12/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top help

Hi fellas,

I have an R plate 406 2.1TD Estate the engine before the HDI ones and i was giving it a once over this afternoon, checking pads, disks, wheel bearings etc.

Had a gander under the bonnet and have a few questions i wouldnt mind knowing the answers to!

engine labels sml
engine labels sml

In the above picture

What is number 1?.... my guess is oil pump???

What is number 2?...... my guess is some form of air mass sensor etc???? - And what can i clean it with, i took it out and its caked in oil.

What is number 3?......My guess is fuel filter housing???

Why is number 4 full of oil sludge?....My guess is i dont have one!

Number 5..... I have air in one of the rigid clear fuel pipes and it moves along when i pump the rubber bellow in the top left corner of the picture. How do i rid the line of the air? when i pump it, it just moves along and the comes back down the pipe.

Close up of oily sludge (no water contamination just oil)

inlet sludge
inlet sludge

Number 6, i have oil weeping out around all 4 of the ends of the black plastic 'manifold' that sits down the back of the engine.

I know,I know, i ought to buy a haynes!!!!!!!!!

ATB
Locoboy

gazza285

posted on 28/12/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
1. Power steering pump.
2. Not an air mass senser anyway, it's a mechanical injection.
3. Fuel filter.
4. It's the air intake, after the turbo. It's probably full of oily sludge as the turbo bearings are weeping, or the engine is breathing a little. I would assume that as it's an "R" plate it's done a few miles, and this engine was known to consume a bit of oil as well.
5. The air is in the top of the filter and will not do much harm there. I cn't remeber for sure, but if you turn the canister upside down is there a drain plug that you can use as a bleed?
6. The manifold runners are sealed with rubber rings with steel bands round, as the rubbers perish air can escape, and it's oily because of the above reasons.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 28/12/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
Hi fellas,

I have an R plate 406 2.1TD Estate the engine before the HDI ones and i was giving it a once over this afternoon, checking pads, disks, wheel bearings etc.

Had a gander under the bonnet and have a few questions i wouldnt mind knowing the answers to!

What is number 1?.... my guess is oil pump??? ---------Power steering pump

What is number 2?...... my guess is some form of air mass sensor etc???? - And what can i clean it with, i took it out and its caked in oil.---------Leave it alone. If it aint broke DON'T fix it.

What is number 3?......My guess is fuel filter housing???---------Correct.

Why is number 4 full of oil sludge?....My guess is i dont have one!--------------From the turbo charger, see also 6 below.

Number 5..... I have air in one of the rigid clear fuel pipes and it moves along when i pump the rubber bellow in the top left corner of the picture. How do i rid the line of the air? when i pump it, it just moves along and the comes back down the pipe. ------------DON'T worry about it it just helps to tell you if you've actually got fuel in it and its flowing.

Close up of oily sludge (no water contamination just oil)

Number 6, i have oil weeping out around all 4 of the ends of the black plastic 'manifold' that sits down the back of the engine.------Again don't worry Citreons, Renaults & Puegeots leak oil for a hobby and yours looks quite clean. it come from the oil in the Turbo charged air being pushed into the engine.

I know,I know, i ought to buy a haynes!!!!!!!!!

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

MikeRJ

posted on 28/12/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
The sludge in the inlet manifold is far more likely from the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) than from the turbo oil seals. All the older diesel engines get choked up with this muck.
locoboy

posted on 28/12/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
EDITED*

Thanks Fellas,

Is it likely to cause problems if i dont clean out this oily sludge?

Or should i rephrase that..........

Would it be beneficial to clean it out!

Jolly, I occasionally have a problem with it starting, maybe once a month it wont start, turns over fine but needs maybe upto 5 cranking sessions to get it going, could this be due to the air in the fuel?

Here is the bleed screw for the fuel........i think!

fuel bleed
fuel bleed

[Edited on 28/12/06 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

gazza285

posted on 28/12/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you start cleaning it out, make sure that you clean all of it out or else big lumps will start dropping in the engine, personally, I wouldn't bother.

Is it puffing out white smoke while you have to crank it over? If yes then I'd check the glow plugs as this is a sign of unburnt diesel. If there is no white smoke, then you could try bleeding it, but I'd be inclined to check the glow plug wiring first and check the controller as well.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 28/12/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
puffing out white smoke when i am cranking? or on start up after cranking?

Dont think its glow plugs as on the few frosty mornings that we have had in the last few months it's started first time.

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.