Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Grasser Fiat work commenced!!!!
NS Dev

posted on 30/1/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Grasser Fiat work commenced!!!!

Just started work this Sat on the fiat based grasser, ain't plasma cutters great!!!!

The car park at the back of the house!!!:

not yet cut fiat 2
not yet cut fiat 2

Inside pre-surgery:

not yet cut fiat 1
not yet cut fiat 1

After a little cutting!!! :

cut fiat 1
cut fiat 1

cut fiat 2
cut fiat 2

cut fiat 3
cut fiat 3

Was pretty tricky going rounf the big reinforcing sections at the base of the B-posts, in fact the little Fiat 126 was much more solid and made of much thicker metal than most modern cars that I have cut up.

I would say the bits I cut out of the fiat shell are actually heavier than the equivalent bits cut out of a Pug 205, which is MUCH bigger!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

tks

posted on 30/1/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

My uncle has still a 89.000Km Fiat 127 running and in good state

here in spain i guess they where massivly sold.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Simon

posted on 30/1/07 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Keep posting pics, we want to see how it goes

ATB

Simon

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/07 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
hopefully quickly!! lol

will keep you up to date!

The tube bender is coming out tonight to start work on the cage.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

rav

posted on 31/1/07 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Wish I'd done as you have an cut the whole floor out - makes fabricating a cage so much easier and you can put suspension etc wherever you want.

Looking good, what engines going in? (appologies if you've already told everyone, I'm just too lazy to search the forum...!)

Mark

Hammerhead

posted on 31/1/07 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
if you could document the tube bending for us amateurs i'd appreciate it. Cheers.

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/07 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
if you could document the tube bending for us amateurs i'd appreciate it. Cheers.

will take some piccies!

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rav
Wish I'd done as you have an cut the whole floor out - makes fabricating a cage so much easier and you can put suspension etc wherever you want.

Looking good, what engines going in? (appologies if you've already told everyone, I'm just too lazy to search the forum...!)

Mark

I learnt the floor cutting from the past, and not doing it that way myself!!! much easier to start from scratch!

Engines are two Aprilia RSV Mille Factory R vee twins.

If you do a google on "V60 magnesium" you will see what they are. Basically 1000cc 60 deg ally and magnesium dry sumped, monoblock bike engine. 143hp each as std passing latest euro emmisions, should be 155 to 160hp each with the DTA management, and new long intake trumpets, decent exhaust etc.

The power sounds a bit poor compared to R1's etc, but the torque spread of the vee twin is MILES bigger, it makes the bulk of its peak torque all the way from 4000 to 10,000 revs, and it revs to 11,000 as std which is high for a twin as well. Hope is that this spread should be ideal for grassing!!

its been done before but not on decent engine management with startline revlimiter (unfortunately launch control is illegal I have now discovered!!) and fullthrottle gearshift etc.

I have a pair of 2004 motors on the garage floor

[Edited on 31/1/07 by NS Dev]

greggors84

posted on 31/1/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
What have you decided to do about the management Nat? Did you sell the XE and buy the expensive ecu (DTA?)

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

rav

posted on 31/1/07 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
300Bhp, 500kg ish?
Mmmmmm!

How are you getting drive from both engines to the diff?

rav

posted on 31/1/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Or do you not need a diff?
Coose

posted on 31/1/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
A bloke near me builds them, and the last one I saw was a Fiat Cinquecento with two VTR1000 motors. He had a Sierra diff fitted with one motor driving each driveshaft, and I'm sure he said it was a standard LSD and it would still work as an LSD even though the driveshafts were being driven and not the input flange!

Does anyone know if this would work as I've been wondering for a bit?

[Edited on 31/1/07 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

DarrenW

posted on 31/1/07 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine has this Rescued attachment nigel grasser
Rescued attachment nigel grasser

NS Dev

posted on 1/2/07 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
What have you decided to do about the management Nat? Did you sell the XE and buy the expensive ecu (DTA?)

the engine is sold and yep, will be buying a pair of DTA S60 Pro ecu's shortly!

NS Dev

posted on 1/2/07 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
A bloke near me builds them, and the last one I saw was a Fiat Cinquecento with two VTR1000 motors. He had a Sierra diff fitted with one motor driving each driveshaft, and I'm sure he said it was a standard LSD and it would still work as an LSD even though the driveshafts were being driven and not the input flange!

Does anyone know if this would work as I've been wondering for a bit?

[Edited on 31/1/07 by Coose]

The two drives need to be solidy locked together to be legal in national autograss racing.

I will be using no diff, there will be a large shaft running in a pair of flanged bearings, with two sprockets on it and a cv drive cup at each end and that's it (there have been some revisions to the plan and I no longer am using the countershaft idea)

You certainly don't need a diff for autograss, some use limited slip jobbies but I managed fine without.

PS the diff would still work as an lsd with one drive to each side, but would not be legal in autograss.

[Edited on 1/2/07 by NS Dev]

NS Dev

posted on 3/2/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
OK, some tubey bendy bits started, here's a pic or two as promised!

First the bendy machine, good old jobbie, proper british one, (£50 s/h) First job is to make the main hoop and front legs in 45mm x 3mm cold drawn as-drawn seamless mild steel tube.

tube bender
tube bender

First need to anneal the tube or it will kink, and in fact its best bend while still at a few hundred deg c.

tube anneal
tube anneal

here's a couple of pics of the main hoop installed, and one front leg bent up, will do tother one today:

main hoop
main hoop

main hoop 2
main hoop 2

So there you go, you can form decent bends with a cheapie bender, you just have to take your time and anneal first if its cold drawn tube that isn't already annealed.

NS Dev

posted on 5/2/07 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
All the bent tube work finished now, started on the front suspension cradle.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.