Poll: Nukes or No Nukes [View Results]
Renew Trident?
Ban the Bomb?
Lie, pretend we spent the money, repaint the subs, maintain an effective deterent?

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nukes or No Nukes
Guinness

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Nukes or No Nukes

Saying as our elected members are deciding on our behalf whether to renew Trident, what does Jo Locoster think?

flak monkey

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I vote aye. But, now you have gone and started and argument, just you watch

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mookaloid

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
If we (the British) want to be taken seriously in the rest of the world, we have to have a credible nuclear deterrent.

Simple as that really.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
keep trident.

I live just across the river from Faslane, and i don't feel in danger. I think we can be trusted to use them only as a deterent, whereas some countries with nuclear plans cannot be trusted. i think trident keeps them at bay

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

goodall

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
MAD

just in case

blakep82

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Religion, football and politics............

ha ha, true enough

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

graememk

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
yeah we should get some if only just to keep out the welsh

fesycresy

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

yeah we should get some if only just to keep out the welsh

You don't need to spend £15 to £20 billion to keep us out !

Nurse goes to three expecting fathers, one English one Jamaican and one Welsh. Tells them the babies are mixed up and could they help identify them ?

Welsh man goes first and picks up the black kid, Jamaican bloke says, what you doing ?

Welshman replies, there's a fifty fifty chance that one of those two is English and I'm not prepared to take the chance.

Back to the original question, yep get some new nukes, but would they be made in this country (as in GB before you ask) ??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

davie h

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
renew them iran, south korea, north korea all play about with them or want them do we really want no deterent but they should only ever be a deterent
Simon

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
No they won't be made in this country, even though B.Liar says they will. They will be American built, owned and maintained. The only British bit is the flag.

While I say build as big and as many as we want, build them HERE. The only reason the yanks want them here is cos it gives them another three hours!

I've nowt against the yanks (before they jump on me), but I do have trouble with their politicians and slightly screwy motives. And ours for that matter.

ATB

Simon

ATB

Simon

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at an atlas, six nuclear strikes is all it would take to obliterate the whole of the UK. We are not a World power anymore, we are a third world country where it is safe to drink the tap water.
It is about time we told the yanks to FO home. Their lease has expired anyway.
They screw us every chance they get and give us nothing but grief in return and their beer is pants.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Guinness

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like they went with the majority on here then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6448173.stm

Mind you, if you go to the link above, then take the "See a 360-degree panorama of a Trident submarine control room" aout half way down the page, then you'll see our boys are sitting on beaded seat covers like a minicab driver!

Definatley time to replace it then!?

Mike

smart51

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I don't like wars or armies or WMD. I'm virtually a pacifist. I don't like the idea of being undefended though so I'll happily let the military do their thing.

I don't see why we can't rebuild the existing trident though in the same way that a good engine company can rebuild, say, a rover v8 and get a really rather nice end result.

Much as I dislike nukes, they can't be uninvented and so someone has got to keep them as an ultimate deterant. I don't want the USA to be the only ones with them so I'd keep ours.

As a deterant they are poor - it gives a no-one wins outcome only. That is the deterant though. You attack us in a big way and you will lose. In a big way. Its the believable "you will not win" threat that is the deterant.

JoelP

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
my two favourite dumb comments, from the BBC site recently:

'if we give them up, iran and north korea will too'

'if iran cant have them, why should we?'

some people are so dumb they deserve to end up in the world they would create....

locogeoff

posted on 14/3/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Why do we spend money new nuclear weapons when we dont use the ones we've got!
JoelP

posted on 14/3/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
thats the plan, that we dont have to use them....
blakep82

posted on 14/3/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
that control room is old skool! all those square buttons that light up, and the black & brown comuter screens

Chippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Why spend 20 billion, which will turn out to be 50 or a 100 billion when it actualy comes about, (whos ever heard of a gov't project coming in to budget). That money could be far better spent on things within the country. We definately are not a world power, (anymore), so why try to act like one, if anything we are just the tail of George W's dog, and wag at his command. Must watch the blood pressure, all this is not good for me... Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Johnmor

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
I say wast of money.

Remember this is not to aquire a nuclear deterant but to spend £20,000,000,000 to upgrade an already very effective and potent nuclear system.

If you owned a 42" plasma screen would you spend all your money and your pension on buying a 50" plasma because your so called insane "friend" who consistently slags other peoples TVs and even says that some people shouldn't have a TV, says it a good idea.
Oh, and of course he will sell it too you but keep the remote control.

Its another example of Tonys pandering to the US.

Tell me which country or president you would trust with the button.

I can think of two i'm unsure of

mistergrumpy

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I live just across the river from Faslane, and i don't feel in danger
Wait and see if Glen Douglas gets hit mate. BOOOMMMM!!
Who really cares, the government will do as they choose anyway..........
Absolutely. The only one I would vote for.
No they won't be made in this country
Not entirely true. RAF armourer for 7 years, just out last year.
we are a third world country where it is safe to drink the tap water.
I don't think we are are we? (question, not quote) Though I do believe Northern Ireland was classed as one in the not too distant past.

blakep82

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I live just across the river from Faslane, and i don't feel in danger
Wait and see if Glen Douglas gets hit mate. BOOOMMMM!!

yeah, but i'll be a quick death

mistergrumpy

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Happy chap then eh? The constant rain would probably subdue it. I used to go there at least once a fortnight for ages. Odd little place, especially when you turn a corner and see a massive tanker there in the lochs.

blakep82

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
drove past that way many years ago when i was about 10. can't remember if i could actually see anything.

mistergrumpy

posted on 14/3/07 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Its all burrowed into the hills. You wouldn't see a great deal.

Agriv8

posted on 15/3/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
What I think wont mater, what the public think wont mater,

I think the should be kept as a deterant but my gut feeling is we are America's lapdog on this one.

I suspect that mr bush wants them in the uk so he can get to the arab's saudies anbody else that has oil supplies that his country need's and his economy is based on.

who will have control on the button basicaly I wouldnt trust a polititain to make the right decision would you ?

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.