Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT Extruded aluminium and laminated plywood?
tegwin

posted on 13/4/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
OT Extruded aluminium and laminated plywood?

Ok...what a shitty day...rather than spend it working on the car, my sister drops around this morning all excited that she managed to pickup a tatty horsetrailer for £100.....but its OK because "You can fix it...cant you?!?!?!?"....

GRRR how damn angry I was!! Being the nice brother that I am, I cant easily turn her down though...

The chassis and frame is fine, but the wooden floor and the wooden wall pannels are rotten though.

She wants an aluminium floor similar to the newer trailers...I had a look at a newer trailer and the floor is made up of strips of aluminium laid on the steel chassis....I cant get over how weird the extrusion of the aluminium is....

Has anyone ever seen such an extrusion and know where to get it?

The other alternaive, and simpler one is to get 25x60mm aluminium box section with 3mm walls and use that instead...

.....I dont know...I would personally rather that she shot the horse and buggered off!!!

The second issue are the side pannels....they are made of laminated plywood....the self coloured stuff that you see in various shades of colour..... Again...does anyone know where on earth you can get this coloured laminated plywood from?????

Oh...and she wants new lights fitted aswell.... Rescued attachment BOXFLOOR.JPG
Rescued attachment BOXFLOOR.JPG

smart51

posted on 13/4/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
My nephew is a bit like that, except that being 5, he only ever asks me to fix thomas the tank engine. He has made me promise to build him a locost though, in yellow.

As for extrusion. I've only ever seen quare U and W shapes, plus box section and T section.

jacko

posted on 13/4/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
hi i use to make horse boxes and we used 25mm birch ply on the floors+thick rubber to stop the horses slipping . The sides were made of GRP [fiber glass rernforced ply ] + pads on the inside
Jacko
ps Eltherington in Hull do alloy flooring for truck floors
or try alco in leeds

[Edited on 13/4/07 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b184

posted on 13/4/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
you could try the side sections they use on drop sides of wagonsfor the floor, or as jaco says use non skid timber (a lot cheaper than ally)
the sides i would infill with grp as per jaco

jacko

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
B184 welcome to the mad house
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b184

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
thank you
nick205

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look here for materials, components and extrusions...

http://www.eahorsebox.co.uk/index.html

jacko

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Have a look here for materials, components and extrusions...

http://www.eahorsebox.co.uk/index.html

There just like what i use to make for the police

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.