Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: want to make my own web page, any hints????
eddie

posted on 13/8/03 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
want to make my own web page, any hints????

noticed there are a lot of you with pages or even sites (either purely about locost or a bit more diverse)

being a bit of a curious chap, i am interested in starting my own, but i am not sure where to start...

so i am coming to the forum to ask you all for advice on where to begin...

there are a few proviso's:

1, its gotta be free to do, need the money for other projects...

2, being new to it all, its got to be relatively easy / straightforward to get up and running....

3, would be nice to get some 'easy to use' software to get me going for free, untill i can get to grips with this copy of front page i have

any ideas???

as always i bow to the superior knowledge base out there on the forum

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 13/8/03 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Get a proffesional in!

Just kidding. Your ISP should provide you some webspace free, so cost shouldn't be a problem. Front page is pretty easy to use, maybe do a search for an online tutorial?

Use the page wizard and you could have a page up in minutes.

Or send me a cheque.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Rorty

posted on 14/8/03 at 04:14 AM Reply With Quote
Certain versions of Office come with Front Page. Alternatively, you could build your entire site in Word, and use Windows' FTP client to upload it onto your ISP's server.
There's a lot of free tutorials, help and add-ins out there for Front page.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 14/8/03 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
I used word to start with, until i realised that it really makes a meal of it, i.e. pictures are a lot larger file size than need and loads of extra code is put into the page that you don't actually nee.d, hence the pages can be a bit slow to down load on a dial up connection. It is a good way to get started though and build the basic stucture of your site. I now use word to add all the text and formatinig and netscape communicator for inserting all the picture (icons) and links.

For webspace, speak to chris who runs this forum, a few people (including me) have our pages hosted for free by him. As there is only 20mb of space available, i have another free site from my ISP where i store all my pictures, and my locost hosted site points at those.

Keep (or reduce) the pictures on your site to below 200kb otherwise it takes ages for dial up users to download your pics.

Also don't under estimate the time it takes to keep the site up to date, i sit down once a month and cover everthing i have done over the past month and it takes me quite a few hours.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

ChrisW

posted on 14/8/03 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Austen

If you want more space just ask! Plenty available (within reason!)

Chris

My gaff my rules

MK9R

posted on 14/8/03 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
cheers, i have only used 2meg of yours so far, as all the big stuff is on the my ISP site, but that will be full soon so you may get a call.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Arthur Dent

posted on 15/8/03 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Word is about the worst way to make a web page!

Dreamweaver is nice and you get get a free 30 day trial.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

ned

posted on 15/8/03 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
there are also patches available so it won't run out after 30 days, but i condem anyone who uses such illegal methods for unlicensed software.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

eddie

posted on 15/8/03 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
What about FTP stuff tried a free one off the net, couldnt get my head round it...

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

chrisg

posted on 15/8/03 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I use Dreamweaver and it's the mutts nuts, but the free stuff is ok for a basic page. have a play with FPX or coffe cup, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

JoelP

posted on 15/8/03 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I did my disertation on note pad. It turned out shite, but i think that was due to the mind numbing topic for the website (an educational interactive website about the TCA cycle).
chrisg

posted on 15/8/03 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think I had a TCA cycle, was it like a Chopper but with smaller handlebars?

Cheers

Chris

Arthur Dent

posted on 15/8/03 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie
What about FTP stuff tried a free one off the net, couldnt get my head round it...

FTP Commander is free and works well

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

MK9R

posted on 15/8/03 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
www.Smoothftp.com - online fp that lets you upload zip files and unzips then once its uploaded. Only problem is they have just limited file sizes to 20kb (was 4meg) unless you pay a yearly subscription
Its great if you are uploading from work in their time with super fast connection and a firewall.

[Edited on 15/8/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

eddie

posted on 15/8/03 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys... let y'all know how i get on...

eddie

posted on 16/8/03 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
WOW...

less than 1 days work and i have my own website, if i realised how easy it was i'd have done it ages ago...

MK Goldrush

posted on 18/8/03 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Try using Macromedia Dreamweaver 4 - Its available as "Dreamweaver 4 for Dummies" from WHS as a "try before you buy" (TBYB) Disc . It's slicker, therefore faster to view than most, but (perhaps) not as user friendly as Frontpage.

Be aware some ISP's charge for hosting Frontpage sites as it's a Microsoft unique index system.

Also - many College's & Poly's use Dreamweaver 4 in Internet Design Courses - so you could enroll for this too (in your spare time!!!)

My site is totally created using Dreamweaver 4.

www.southyorkshirecapriclub.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.