Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Personal injury insurance
JoelP

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Personal injury insurance

Swimbo is nagging me to get some insurance incase i injure myself. Being self employed thats not going to be easy to find. Anyone done it and felt it worthwhile? I cant really be arsed myself, i have life insurance and feel thats enough!

Any ideas?

scottc

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Look at something like 'key man' cover. thats what I was recommended when I was working for myself.

TBH I felt it was a rip off. they look at previous quarters earnings then give you 60% for a limited period. can't remember what the premium was, but it wasn't cheap.

Peteff

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
get some insurance incase i injure myself

She'll be loosening the staircarpet next . If she talked you into getting life insurance don't eat the mushrooms

[Edited on 17/6/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Wadders

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Don't waste your brass Joel, just stick whatever it would cost per month to insure yourself in a seperate bank account, soon adds up.

Al.

JoelP

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
She'll be loosening the staircarpet next .

you may be onto something there pete

Description
Description

MkIndy7

posted on 17/6/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Being self employed is there nothing related to the industry your in?.. like what and Unions may offer, if its any good that is!
Paul TigerB6

posted on 17/6/07 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Swimbo is nagging me to get some insurance incase i injure myself. Being self employed thats not going to be easy to find. Anyone done it and felt it worthwhile? I cant really be arsed myself, i have life insurance and feel thats enough!

Any ideas?

Being Self Employed you should be looking at a Permanent Health Insurance policy written to your retirement age. Depending on how old you are then it may not be too expensive but at least you can secure enough income to cover your mortgage and so on (generally up to 55% of your income before tax).

Best bet is to speak to an Independant Financial Advisor who will help you calculate cover etc and find you the cheapest premium.

[Edited on 17/6/07 by Paul TigerB6]

Minicooper

posted on 17/6/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother as a self employed person have virtually no chance of claiming on these policies. I had a policy with Prudential, I had an accident absailing fell and badly damaged my back, they voided the policy because I had visited the doctors over 20 years earlier with a slight pulled muscle in my back, it was so minor I forgot to even mention it, I think I had a day off work, they said I had witheld relevant information and I would be prone to injury with my weakened back.
Falling 80 feet down a rock face and landing on a pointy rock with the base of my spine had nothing to do with it!!!!

David

JoelP

posted on 17/6/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
ouch!

cheers for the advice guys, i should be seeing the financial man this week anyway, so i'll see what he reckons. I have a vague recollection of him mentioning it as expensive when i got a mortgage through him.

ta!

JamJah

posted on 18/6/07 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I had PII arranged through my bank (paid). Foolishly i hadnt checked the 21 pages of super fine print.

What they got me on was the fact that I didnt spend an overnight stay in hospital.

Just make sure it covers you for any injury. Alot of on going things which prevent you from working dont get treated with an overnight stay.

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

caber

posted on 18/6/07 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Watch out he will l get a commission on selling the policy! I have been effectively self employed for ever though now I am a paid director of my own company. Any policy that is supposed to pay out on accident,health or unemployment is basically as rip off as they never pay out and charge a fortune for the premiums.

Caber

chunkytfg

posted on 18/6/07 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I have a policy with a company called CICA

It's not a life insurance policy but a personal accident policy with very few strings attached.

Basically they pay out for any timew spent in hospital plus incapacity benefit afterwards plus py out for any op or break you get.

So basically if you break your arm and need an op thats £500 for the break, £500 for the op. £140 a day for how ever long you are in hospital and £100 a day for double the number of day you are in hospital as incapasity payment.

all for £19 a month.

And it reall doesnt have exclusions as to waht it pays out for. I race motorcycles and it will pay out for that along with everything else i do in my life that might cause me harm.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.