CraigJ

posted on 11/7/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Impreza engined middy

http://www.blastautomotive.com/photos.html

What u lot think?

Hammerhead

posted on 11/7/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
looks badly designed to me.

Not sure about the engineering, but it looks a bit fragile to me.

Someone send the guy some french curves!!

JonBowden

posted on 11/7/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Man, that is one ugly car.

How do they use the Subaru gearbox (it's normally a 4wd system)?

Jon

phoenix70

posted on 11/7/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
It uses the legacy engine rather than the imprezza engine and a 2wd drive gearbox, I didn't think Subaru made any 2wd cars.

An I note that the special offer on the kit runs out at the end of January 2006, the website is obviously updated regularly.....NOT

russbost

posted on 11/7/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Why do we always have to "knock" anything which is remotely different?

Ok - I happen to think it's Fugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. At least it is modern, different & is NOT yet another seven clone. I also think it is grossly overpriced, but I can't see too much wrong with the engineering - tho' couldn't see from the pics whether there is anything substantial to the tunnel, as otherwise it may not be very torsionally stiff. Perhaps he needs Fuoriserie to redesign the body for him

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scottc

posted on 11/7/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I don't mind it from the side, But the diff/box ?? sticks out the back?
Hammerhead

posted on 11/7/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Why do we always have to "knock" anything which is remotely different?

different isn't the problem. I love the KTM x-bow, Lotus 340r and the sub 3-wheeler, all cars which are very different.

That subaru thing has real packaging issues as the back of the gearbox protrudes from the rear. Not to mention issues with proportion, styling and imo rigidity.

Just pointing out my observations/opinions which i'm free to express along with everyone else.

On the flip side good on him and others for having a go, nitram38 is a great example and I can't wait to see how motaleira turns out.

speedyxjs

posted on 11/7/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure its not a volvo with all those straight lines?
Designed by someone loved rulers

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

zilspeed

posted on 11/7/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Rather predicatably, I like it...

C'mon the underdog / different...

Marlon

posted on 11/7/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't do a great deal for me to look at but I bet it sounds fantastic with that boxer motor.

john.

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

russbost

posted on 11/7/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't having a go at anyone specifically, but I think comments like "looks badly designed to me" need a bit more justification than is available from those pics, if by "looks badly designed to me" you meant "badly styled", couldn't agree with you more. All I was saying is that it is easy to knock something that someone else has done, but, personally I wouldn't knock anything unless I could say "look at what I've done, it's so much better".
Interesting that you brought up Nitram as I know he took a lot of stick over his first build, but he'd still done something which very few people can say they have, i.e. built a car from scratch, not a kit or even plans.
" I love the KTM x-bow, Lotus 340r and the sub 3-wheeler, all cars which are very different", don't know the sub, don't particularly like the x-bow, but whoever restyled one of the prettiest cars ever (destroying the aerodynamics in the process by sticking cycle wings on) & turned it into the 340r should be hung drawn & quartered! However that is just my opinion - no offence intended.
Love the Lotus 211 in your avatar BTW

[Edited on 11/7/07 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeRJ

posted on 11/7/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like it, but the screen just looks out of proportion, and the rear view is pretty awful. Wouldn't have taken much to cover up the gearbox.

BTW, the inappropriately named Imprezza "Sport" is front wheel drive.

oadamo

posted on 11/7/07 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
i like it but the screen is i bit big. but you could always change that. is there size limits for cars and the sva. you could knock somthing up like that easy.
adam

Simon

posted on 11/7/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nine grand for a complete kit - including rebuilt motor, isn't overpriced.

Sort of like it, but cannot stand the sound Suburu make, especially with a noisy exhaust. But that's just me.

ATB

Simon

JoelP

posted on 11/7/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
if you click the specs link you get a bare chassis pic, which IMHO does look poorly designed. Maybe its a packaging thing, and maybe he's made up for poor design with stronger tubes etc, but it doesnt sing to me.

Where the hell is the attachment box gone? 2 mins for the pic
Description
Description

[Edited on 11/7/07 by JoelP]

TheGecko

posted on 11/7/07 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
" I love the KTM x-bow, Lotus 340r and the sub 3-wheeler, all cars which are very different", don't know the sub,

http://www.sub3wheeler.com/

Hammerhead

posted on 12/7/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
if you click the specs link you get a bare chassis pic, which IMHO does look poorly designed. Maybe its a packaging thing, and maybe he's made up for poor design with stronger tubes etc, but it doesnt sing to me.

Agreed.

As I previously stated badly designed. That includes styling and the chassis.
Styling I know one or two things about, but the chassis I am only basically qualified in engineering to comment on, but to me it looks badly engineered/designed.

That kind of project is fine for a guy to make on their own for their own use, but the thing looks so unresolved and unfinished to market it as a product to the general public is pushing things a bit far.

The elise wasn't restyled at all, the 340r is a special edition based on the elise chassis but not 100% same, the elise was still available in it's original shape.
I found that the Lotus 340r is an amazing car, styling still looks fresh today, and being able to see the wishbones and parts of the chassis was inspired. I think Ariel took a few ideas from the 340r and ran with them to create something even more extreme.
Having driven a LHD 340r (190 bhp) VHPD and a Elise s1 (190bhp) VHPD I can say that the 340r is alot more focused than the Elise and is probably more track biased which may not be so good for the road.

It's not about having a downer about people producing something new and innovative at all. This site supports people in whatever they build and that is why I am here. I'm not building a locost, but I am confident that whatever I and others choose to build now and in the future will be supported by the community here.

Indeed the guy who built the subaru whatsit would have benefited from coming on here.

Russbost - No offence taken or intended.

[Edited on 12/7/07 by Hammerhead]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.