Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Adding a turbo
RazMan

posted on 27/7/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Adding a turbo

Seriously thinking about this now as my V6 really needs more oomph .

I have a T3 Hybrid on loan (thanks Andygtt) and a plan ..... so far.

Plumb in T3 to a convenient point in the headers (where they meet 6:1) Oil & water feeds required. I hope to get away without an exhaust system but might have to install a cherry bomb or similar if its too loud.

Install 2.5 Bar MAF in intake side and connect to ECU. (where can I find a suitable one?)

Fit intercooler or charge cooler?

Get it remapped

Any observations?

[Edited on 27-7-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 27/7/07 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
just the one ?

RazMan

posted on 27/7/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I just can't find the space to fit two like the Noble. I had to resite the alternator as things were tight, so the front turbo would definitely foul it - or at least get it sooooo hot.

I think a single T3 on less than 10psi will give me the 300bhp I have always planned for. It might have a touch of lag but a hybrid spools up pretty quickly I am told.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 28/7/07 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
NOS is the way forward. Oh, and a supercharger, but that's all IMO, as I prefer superchargers. Are there any cams etc available for the 2.5? Do the Jag VVC heads fit the 2.5 block?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

worX

posted on 28/7/07 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
How far from the ports is your 6 into 1 collector?

Steve

scutter

posted on 28/7/07 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
Is THIS too expensive

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

RazMan

posted on 28/7/07 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Si - I have explored the NOS route and was originally olanning to install a kit straight after SVA. However the running costs are pretty horrendous if you intend to use the performance on a daily basis (and I do ) Then I looked at the Vortrex s/c but had to abandon that for space reasons - my engine bay is quite snug and I would probably have to take the engine out to work out the fitting of the s/c - maybe a winter project or a future build
As for cams, there doesn'y seem to be much around for the V6. I can get a set of ST220 cam reground by Piper Cams which should give me a good hike in top end power but the original cams are like hens teeth and so far I havent found any. The same applies to the Jag engine and I am not sure if the heads are interchangable - nice thought though

worX - The collector is right behind the rear bank, approximately where Noble put their smaller twin turbo. The front bank will therefore have a longer path to the turbo but I don't think it will be too laggy.

scutter - Just a tad out of my budget, but if I had seen that a year ago I might have sold a kidney to buy it.

[Edited on 28-7-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

caber

posted on 28/7/07 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Are you reducing your compression ratio or how are you going to resolve detonation?

Caber

RazMan

posted on 28/7/07 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
The standard cr is around 10:1 so I am hoping that using low boost will prevent detonation. I have heard of people who use methanol / water injection to good effect too.

Cheers,
Raz

BenB

posted on 28/7/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
10:1 is rather high for planned boost....

Compression ratio graph (A. Bell tuned induction book)
Compression ratio graph (A. Bell tuned induction book)

You might need to lower the CR....
Does the car have a knock sensor fitted? That'll give some protection (but only by retarding ignition and robbing huge amounts of potential power).... Otherwise unless you're going to run on AVGas or fit the worlds most efficient intercooler (though powerboats get waterflow cooled intercoolers more effective than 100% which considering the weather recently is a possibility) you're looking at potentially expensive trouble....
Do Farraday engineering do a de-comp gasket for your engine????

akumabito

posted on 28/7/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you lower the CR by adding a thicker gasket? Perhaps a double gasket would work, too?
RazMan

posted on 28/7/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
That has been mentioned and I will cetainly look at that on the next inevitable rebuild. Meanwhile I use high octane fuel (100 iirc) so hopefully that will keep Mr Detonation at bay but maybe my boost will have to be a bit lower than planned until then.

*edit* just looked up the spec and it has a 9.8:1 cr

Cheers,
Raz

jambojeef

posted on 28/7/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Lowering the comp ratio isnt alwas the way forward when turboing as it throws up lots of other problems.

Making the engine breathe better is much more worthwhile when turboing.

Whats the VE of your engine at the moment?

RazMan

posted on 28/7/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
tbh I havent got a clue what the VE of a V6 Duratec is. How do I calculate it?
Anyone?

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.